Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Sep 2008 (Wednesday) 08:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon did it again!

this thread is locked
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 24, 2008 09:48 as a reply to  @ post 6371306 |  #16

seriously, have you used the current 5d? It seems the only people who **** about the 5Dii are generally people who want something the 5D isn't. I've had my 5D for 18 months. As with all my bodies it's been out in wet weather w/o any issues. It's AF has also been more than enough for how I shoot. For what this camera is designed to do, it's an amazing little beast. ESPECIALLY when you consider the price point.

You want to **** about something, why not make it something worthwhile, like why 21mp over 15~16 with even better noise? The rest of the specs are really what the heart of the original 5D was, so they shouldn't be a surprise for anyone.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 24, 2008 09:48 as a reply to  @ post 6371252 |  #17

I don't want to break anyone's heart here, but by looking at this picture on DPR, it seems as if the much coveted Nikon D700 weather sealing isn't much different than the 5D MKII's

http://a.img-dpreview.com …ikond700/images​/card2.jpg (external link)

Sure looks like foam to me. Either way, BOTH of these cameras can only offer a limited amount of weather sealing because neither of them have locking CF doors. They both have slide locking doors that really can only offer a small amount of pressure against the seals--probably OK for a small amount of water, but not something that will withstand driving rain.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 24, 2008 09:50 |  #18

Wait a minute. the foam is on the battery door! Please explain to me when in the world will you be out doors shooting in pouring rain? And also if you had to shoot in the pouring rain then wouldn't you at least protect your investment with a aqua cover or kata cover? I understand the the whole weather sealing deal but it is in a small area that A: I'm pretty sure Canon did there R&D before release and B: It is in a unlikely place for damage to occur. What about the rest of the body the mani area like the top of the body and the front where the lens attaches are those weather sealed like the 1 series? Im pretty sure they have there TIHS together over at cannon on a little thing like this.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

m-bartelt
789 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 24, 2008 10:01 |  #19

petiot wrote in post #6370980 (external link)
yet again, Canon is selling foam tape as "weather Sealing" on a 2500+$ product!! :

I don't know how many times I've had it rain upside down...

Or hung upside down and shot in pouring rain.

Yeah, the battery compartment is on the bottom of the camera, and despite what we know about gravity and fluid dynamics, you should really worry about water getting inside your battery compartment :rolleyes:

Canon 40D 10-22mm 24-105L 580 EX II
Canon IIIA LTM Serenar 28mm 3.5
Serenar 50mm 1.8
Leica IIIf RD ST LTM Elmar 50mm 3.5
Nikkor 50mm 1.4
Kodak Brownie No 2
:P

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,091 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2008 10:05 as a reply to  @ m-bartelt's post |  #20

I donno call me silly but the 5D is not a sports camera. I can't remember the last time I was shooting in the pouring rain. I had Canon F-1s they are weather sealed and I don't think I ever shot once in the pouring rain. Hint if you want to shoot in the pouring rain get a 1D not a 5D. Proper tool for the job.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 24, 2008 10:07 |  #21

timnosenzo wrote in post #6371393 (external link)
I don't want to break anyone's heart here, but by looking at this picture on DPR, it seems as if the much coveted Nikon D700 weather sealing isn't much different than the 5D MKII's

http://a.img-dpreview.com …ikond700/images​/card2.jpg (external link)

Sure looks like foam to me. Either way, BOTH of these cameras can only offer a limited amount of weather sealing because neither of them have locking CF doors. They both have slide locking doors that really can only offer a small amount of pressure against the seals--probably OK for a small amount of water, but not something that will withstand driving rain.

+1

i wasn't giddy about the lack of the word "weathersealed body" in the 5dmk2 specs, but after playing with my friend's supposedly weathersealed d700, i've realized that it's really not all that much better. the buttons on top and the edges are sealed, with DWR L lenses, the lens mount is sealed, and the 5dmk2 even has the 1dmk3 flash contact seal that mates with the 580exii which is something even nikon's weathersealed bodies/flashes don't offer. lastly, i've shot in the rain with my non-sealed 40d plenty of times and i'll be the first to say that if i was worried about the battery door on the BOTTOM of the camera taking in too much water, i either wouldn't be shooting or would be smart enough to put a rain cover on that thing.

so tell us petiot, how often is your camera out in torrential rainstorms upside down where foam seals are not sufficient and water would be pouring into your battery compartment? a week ago i was dismayed at the lack of full sealing too, but the more i think about it and look at competing models, the more i realize how much of a non-issue this is.

edit: m-bartelt beat me to the punch about it.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

Willie
959 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 24, 2008 10:10 |  #22

timnosenzo wrote in post #6371211 (external link)
There is definitely no shortage of ranting these days.

I'd like to rant about people calling lenses "investments" and also spelling the word lens as "lense". :)

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 24, 2008 10:35 |  #23

Willie wrote in post #6371538 (external link)
I'd like to rant about people calling lenses "investments" and also spelling the word lens as "lense". :)

They are investments...at least they are a known quantity and retain some "value" over a reasonable period of time. Have you looked at Wall St. lately?

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 24, 2008 10:50 |  #24

ErikM wrote in post #6371208 (external link)
You've been a member for almost 7 years and you have 243 posts.. 200 of those are probably related to your haste of the 5D II.... troll much?

What does that have to do with anything?? Some people have more of a life that doesnt allow them to hang out on an internet forum all day and rack up their post count... :rolleyes:

Nobody cares about your gear list...

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 24, 2008 10:52 |  #25

Willie wrote in post #6371538 (external link)

They are investments if your daily bread depends on them..

But spelling lens as lense or aperture as aperature shows a fundamental disrespect for the craft of photography..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

ErikM
about to go POSTAL
2,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 24, 2008 10:52 |  #26

It has to do with the fact that a large portion of his posts are useless rants about the same camera.

I have a life too.. a great one.

Fell in love with photos.. made lots of money.. fell out of love with photos.. took a long break.. trying to find my love again.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 24, 2008 10:55 |  #27

Jeffro250 wrote in post #6371785 (external link)
What does that have to do with anything??

If you look at the OP's previous posts, he has a history of just posting rants about new product announcements... and not much else. Makes me question someones motives.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 24, 2008 11:10 |  #28

timnosenzo wrote in post #6371816 (external link)
If you look at the OP's previous posts, he has a history of just posting rants about new product announcements... and not much else. Makes me question someones motives.

In Australia we call them wingers.. They complain about anything and are unhappy about everything.. The sad bit is they try to drag others down to their level..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 24, 2008 11:19 |  #29

Yea as far as challenging Canon on a daily bases you have to wonder if those folks actually use the product or a competitors? Constantly bashing the product seems to me they would no longer be using the product! Just a thought.

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

m-bartelt
789 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 24, 2008 11:30 |  #30

yogestee wrote in post #6371798 (external link)
But spelling lens as lense or aperture as aperature shows a fundamental disrespect for the craft of photography..

...or a lack of a proper education, or perhaps English not being their primary language.

Canon 40D 10-22mm 24-105L 580 EX II
Canon IIIA LTM Serenar 28mm 3.5
Serenar 50mm 1.8
Leica IIIf RD ST LTM Elmar 50mm 3.5
Nikkor 50mm 1.4
Kodak Brownie No 2
:P

sponsored links

6,625 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon did it again!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.