Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Sep 2008 (Monday) 22:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I still have not gotten paid!!!

CanonLaw
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 29, 2008 22:36 |  #1

Please move this to the wedding forum if that's where it goes.

I shot a wedding for a friend of a friend on Sept. 13. The cost was $600 (im still new) and they gave me a $75 deposit already. Well, in my contract it said that all money is due by the wedding day. Well on the wedding day, she had some sob story about how she needed another week to pay me, basically, after she gets back from her honeymoon.

Well, I upload all the images on my website for her and her family to see, and email her the link. This is the following Saturday, so a week after the wedding. We had agreed verbally she would pay a week after her wedding. Well, no email, no phone call, nothing. I tried emailing her a few times, and finally called her today, because I have not heard from her at all. She does not have any pictures, as I have the DVDs.

She just has an online gallery to look at, so she can't print anything. Anyways, I know I should not have done it without getting paid by the due date, but because she was a friend of a friend, and I had a contract to fall back on, I decided it was ok.

I just wonder how long I need to wait before I send her an official letter that she has to sign for. At this point I don't care when she gets the pictures, but I do care when I get my money. I have given her two weeks and NO CONTACT AT ALL! I do this on the side, so I don't need the money to pay the rent this month, but I do need it. I have plans for the money, and I have ended up using some money for my savings account that I wouldn't have needed to use otherwise.

I don't want to take her to court, but I think if it makes it to a month with no contact, I will have to do it. Thank god I have a contract!!!!

Any advice for this dummy who has just learned ALOT from his most recent mistake?

sponsored links
S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 29, 2008 22:43 |  #2

number 1, take the gallery down until after she pays you - hopefully she has not copied every photo already! contact her again and let her know that you will proceed to the next stage if you cant come to a satisfactory arrangement on the spot.

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 29, 2008 22:55 |  #3

somethingsimple wrote in post #6407157 (external link)
number 1, take the gallery down until after she pays you - hopefully she has not copied every photo already! contact her again and let her know that you will proceed to the next stage if you cant come to a satisfactory arrangement on the spot.

I was thinking about taking it down. I think I will. I don't know if she has copied all the files. They are low-res, with a watermark, and they are in a simple viewer flash gallery. Still possible to copy the images, but a little more difficult, and I don't know what she would do with all these low-res pictures with watermarks.

S-S
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 29, 2008 23:20 as a reply to  @ CanonLaw's post |  #4

some people are happy with screen photos... and for $75 watermarked or not thats a cheap deal

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 29, 2008 23:25 |  #5

somethingsimple wrote in post #6407385 (external link)
some people are happy with screen photos... and for $75 watermarked or not thats a cheap deal

Yeah, and they are decent sized images, 600x900 pixels, so decent resolution. I did check though, and I think it would be really hard to get to the pictures, unless there is a utility that can copy images from a flash gallery. I actually don't see anywhere in the website that they could copy the images from. They would have to know the exact address for the images, which I couldn't even find. So hopefully that didn't happen.?????????

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Sep 29, 2008 23:33 |  #6

take the gallery down for sure.. you should not even be nice to let her see the photos from the wedding.

thats me though. and im a meanie.

no pay, not photos.

S-S
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 29, 2008 23:36 |  #7

CanonLaw wrote in post #6407410 (external link)
Yeah, and they are decent sized images, 600x900 pixels, so decent resolution. I did check though, and I think it would be really hard to get to the pictures, unless there is a utility that can copy images from a flash gallery. I actually don't see anywhere in the website that they could copy the images from. They would have to know the exact address for the images, which I couldn't even find. So hopefully that didn't happen.?????????

ever heard of screen capture? if she can see it, she can get a copy. its really that simple
your proofs are really large... you should look at more 600px max width for a web gallery, and show larger ones if you have an in-house viewing of the proofs

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 30, 2008 00:03 |  #8

Take the gallery down, and put a message in its place that says "this gallery will be restored when payment for services rendered have been made". This means if she has sent the link to any of her friends of family they'll see they haven't paid you. If they'd been honest and upfront this wouldn't be necessary, but with no contact there's not much else you can do. Above all be polite and professional. Maybe send a letter, again polite and professional, point out payment is overdue. I don't think there's any need to mention debt collection at this stage, but if you do, you'll have heard this before, make it polite and professional. Unemotive.

My contracts have a clause that charges an unreasonable amount of interest if people are late paying. Maybe you should add one.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 30, 2008 00:42 |  #9

somethingsimple wrote in post #6407451 (external link)
ever heard of screen capture? if she can see it, she can get a copy. its really that simple
your proofs are really large... you should look at more 600px max width for a web gallery, and show larger ones if you have an in-house viewing of the proofs

Yeah, I guess I knew that was a possibility. I just didn't think that anyone would want to do that, since the pictures are low resolution and it would take forever to do screen captures and then crop out the actual picture and the save it for most of the pictures. Some people are cheap I guess.

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 30, 2008 00:45 |  #10

tim wrote in post #6407544 (external link)
Take the gallery down, and put a message in its place that says "this gallery will be restored when payment for services rendered have been made". This means if she has sent the link to any of her friends of family they'll see they haven't paid you. If they'd been honest and upfront this wouldn't be necessary, but with no contact there's not much else you can do. Above all be polite and professional. Maybe send a letter, again polite and professional, point out payment is overdue. I don't think there's any need to mention debt collection at this stage, but if you do, you'll have heard this before, make it polite and professional. Unemotive.

My contracts have a clause that charges an unreasonable amount of interest if people are late paying. Maybe you should add one.

You don't think that it is unprofessional to put on the link that the pictures have been taken down due to non-payment? Although, almost everyone at the wedding has the link to the gallery, because it is on the back of the business cards I handed out. Maybe if all her friends and family saw it they would be like, WTF? You need to pay him, put pressure on her.

I think I will add something like that in my contract. What percentage do you charge for late payments? If you still had not received full payment by the wedding day would you still photograph it?

S-S
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 30, 2008 00:52 |  #11

CanonLaw wrote in post #6407702 (external link)
Yeah, I guess I knew that was a possibility. I just didn't think that anyone would want to do that, since the pictures are low resolution and it would take forever to do screen captures and then crop out the actual picture and the save it for most of the pictures. Some people are cheap I guess.

doesnt take forever at all... any simple screencap program will allow you to draw around the box you want to save and make a copy without using any other software

not paying a wedding photographer when their rates are so low and not being in contact to discuss what has gone wrong & arrange something with you IS a little bit cheap IMO...

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 30, 2008 01:06 |  #12

somethingsimple wrote in post #6407747 (external link)
doesnt take forever at all... any simple screencap program will allow you to draw around the box you want to save and make a copy without using any other software

not paying a wedding photographer when their rates are so low and not being in contact to discuss what has gone wrong & arrange something with you IS a little bit cheap IMO...

Yeah, if she had contacted me and said she had some tragedy, or whatever, I would be willing to work with her. It is the lack of contact that is driving me nuts.

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 30, 2008 01:20 |  #13

CanonLaw wrote in post #6407715 (external link)
You don't think that it is unprofessional to put on the link that the pictures have been taken down due to non-payment? Although, almost everyone at the wedding has the link to the gallery, because it is on the back of the business cards I handed out. Maybe if all her friends and family saw it they would be like, WTF? You need to pay him, put pressure on her.

Good point. Maybe you should just say they're temporarily down, please check back later.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 30, 2008 01:59 |  #14

just an outsiders observation
* get a larger deposit

* MAke sure you;re Charging even more for the DVD

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

S-S
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 30, 2008 02:38 |  #15

tim wrote in post #6407853 (external link)
Good point. Maybe you should just say they're temporarily down, please check back later.

"unfortunately your wedding proofs gallery has passed its expiry date for viewing - please contact XXX (email link) if you have not yet made your photo selections"
that ought to do it ;)

sponsored links

3,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
I still have not gotten paid!!!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.