Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 27 Sep 2008 (Saturday) 22:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High school swim poster. Help me improve it.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,317 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 29, 2008 13:28 |  #31

very nice work. love the poster idea. btw come visit us on the az potn thread. swim is a very hard sport to shoot. I've learned from a friend to try and shoot low for some of the strokes. but i do like the angle you got here for the freestyle swimmer. since you have some pw with you you could always try and strobe a kid from above and get a darker look to the swimmer. A friend did this up at nau with a butterfly swimmer. of course our pool up there is indoor and not many in the surrounding phx area has indoor pools for the schools.
for the poster, it's a great idea but to me on first glance, the first name kinda gets lost with the last name. maybe some more separation somehow. not sure how i would change it though. but that's the only thing that caught my attention.other than that i really like the work.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

sponsored links
Dermit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 29, 2008 14:14 |  #32

disneydork06 wrote in post #6403734 (external link)
very nice work. love the poster idea. btw come visit us on the az potn thread. swim is a very hard sport to shoot. I've learned from a friend to try and shoot low for some of the strokes. but i do like the angle you got here for the freestyle swimmer. since you have some pw with you you could always try and strobe a kid from above and get a darker look to the swimmer. A friend did this up at nau with a butterfly swimmer. of course our pool up there is indoor and not many in the surrounding phx area has indoor pools for the schools.
for the poster, it's a great idea but to me on first glance, the first name kinda gets lost with the last name. maybe some more separation somehow. not sure how i would change it though. but that's the only thing that caught my attention.other than that i really like the work.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I've been told to shoot lower and I will try that on the next shoot (Wednesday) and see how that works.

I don't understand the part you are talking about with strobing from above to get a darker swimmer. ? Are you saying trying to purposely create stronger contrast shadows on the swimmer? Not sure I follow where you are going with this. As far as I know all the pools I will be shooting at are outdoor.

I agree about the first name getting lost. This was the main reason I originally had the last name big and blocky.... so the first name had more 'background' area to be more visible. But most people commented then about the last name being too blocky and too big... so this is where I am at now. Maybe I just need to do something entirely different with the name altogether... Will play tonight when I get home.

I'll try and drop by the potn az section. Do you guys do any get togethers, or what?

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,317 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 29, 2008 15:14 |  #33

Dermit wrote in post #6404030 (external link)
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I've been told to shoot lower and I will try that on the next shoot (Wednesday) and see how that works.

I don't understand the part you are talking about with strobing from above to get a darker swimmer. ? Are you saying trying to purposely create stronger contrast shadows on the swimmer? Not sure I follow where you are going with this. As far as I know all the pools I will be shooting at are outdoor.

I agree about the first name getting lost. This was the main reason I originally had the last name big and blocky.... so the first name had more 'background' area to be more visible. But most people commented then about the last name being too blocky and too big... so this is where I am at now. Maybe I just need to do something entirely different with the name altogether... Will play tonight when I get home.

I'll try and drop by the potn az section. Do you guys do any get togethers, or what?

we do on occasion have a get together. only problem is that we're all over in the valley. a lot of east siders and west siders.

so the photo. I guess it's a little hard to explain...but I might be wrong and that it can only work in a darker environment than the phx sun :-/ but if you strobe the person from above with a strong flash you can create a kind of ring of light around the subject. you just underexpose the total scene so that the flash would have to be the main light for the shot. like i said, i've seen this done once at school for the school paper. I'm almost guessing but I've also seen this done for some school sportraits. really brings a unique look to it when the bg is darkened or even blacked out when you're shooting at an event.

Ryan
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

Dermit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 29, 2008 15:34 |  #34

disneydork06 wrote in post #6404361 (external link)
we do on occasion have a get together. only problem is that we're all over in the valley. a lot of east siders and west siders.

so the photo. I guess it's a little hard to explain...but I might be wrong and that it can only work in a darker environment than the phx sun :-/ but if you strobe the person from above with a strong flash you can create a kind of ring of light around the subject. you just underexpose the total scene so that the flash would have to be the main light for the shot. like i said, i've seen this done once at school for the school paper. I'm almost guessing but I've also seen this done for some school sportraits. really brings a unique look to it when the bg is darkened or even blacked out when you're shooting at an event.

Oh, yes. Now that makes sense. In your other reply you said it was to get a darker look to the swimmer, not the background and that was making no sense at all. But underexposing the background and lighting the swimmer, that's something i know all about. I know the look and how to do it but don't like it for all types of shots. For these action shots i want it to look more 'normal' like at a meet and less like a sportrait. But i can see where that look would look cool for other applications.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,317 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 30, 2008 00:41 |  #35

ok, gotcha. was just suggesting that cause when you go for a low angle you also gain more of the people in the bg in the shots sometimes. so yeah, good luck wednesday :-)

Ryan

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 30, 2008 04:14 |  #36

I like it, I don't offer posters for the swim team because I couldn't come up with something nice and also wondered if it would be worth since there are only 6 girls on the team

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

mackami
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 30, 2008 23:45 |  #37

Dermit wrote in post #6400165 (external link)
OK, here is an edit incorporating some of the changes. I faded to a solid blue instead of the white. Not sold on it over just having the image under bleed all the way through. But on a total bleed through I did not like the lane line continuing all the way through her head.

I made her last name smaller and a mix of upper/lower case like the school name. I made school name and logo larger. I added the year. I like it better than the first one, but will still tweak since I have some time. These don't need to be all done until November. But I like to fine tune since they will all be based on the same framework and probably be reused for other swim shoots in the future.

QUOTED IMAGE

How are these for some ideas... (sorry, I don't have access to Photoshop right now)

1) Bring the swimmer's entire body up so that the head overlaps the top border.
This would eliminate the problem of the lane markers running through her head.
It would also allow you to use the water right to the left edge of the photo instead of the blue fade

2) If you were to print this at the final image size and look at the photo from a distance, I would guess that the script over sans serif font would make the last name a bit hard to read. Possibly try using the same all sans serif font for her name at a larger point size. It would really emphasize her name. <As a parent, I like seeing my daughter's name :D > You can balance the composition by increasing the width of the bottom border a bit.

Dermit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 01, 2008 16:10 |  #38

mackami wrote in post #6414084 (external link)
How are these for some ideas... (sorry, I don't have access to Photoshop right now)

1) Bring the swimmer's entire body up so that the head overlaps the top border.
This would eliminate the problem of the lane markers running through her head.
It would also allow you to use the water right to the left edge of the photo instead of the blue fade

2) If you were to print this at the final image size and look at the photo from a distance, I would guess that the script over sans serif font would make the last name a bit hard to read. Possibly try using the same all sans serif font for her name at a larger point size. It would really emphasize her name. <As a parent, I like seeing my daughter's name :D > You can balance the composition by increasing the width of the bottom border a bit.

mackami

I like your ideas here a lot! Thanks. I will work up a version like this when I get a chance and see how it looks. But in my mind I see exactly what you are talking about and like it. The only problem I see I might run in to is by making the head shot larger it will also encroach into the rest of the image where the action shot is... unless I really enlarge the bottom banner. I will play and see.

stugotzo
221 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 01, 2008 16:21 as a reply to  @ Dermit's post |  #39

Looks great. I have another idea, similar to the head overlapping the top border.....

Maybe you could find a way to simulte the water flowing over the bottom border (only in one area, not the entire border), to make it look like the pool water is spilling overa crack in the border.

Just a thought. Hey, my brain is fried here at work too. :D

Tampa Photographer (external link)

mackami
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 01, 2008 19:50 |  #40

Dermit wrote in post #6418308 (external link)
mackami

I like your ideas here a lot! Thanks. I will work up a version like this when I get a chance and see how it looks. But in my mind I see exactly what you are talking about and like it. The only problem I see I might run in to is by making the head shot larger it will also encroach into the rest of the image where the action shot is... unless I really enlarge the bottom banner. I will play and see.

Glad to help when I can... If you increase the size of the head shot then slide it to the left a bit. I think that you still have enough space without making the vertical edge go through too much of her hair

WebMonkey
157 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 04, 2008 12:42 as a reply to  @ mackami's post |  #41

Dermit, I love it
:p

Steve
RSM California

dadCameraGuy
667 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 04, 2008 13:20 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

Dermit

i love the idea and i appreciate you sharing your pricing and how you set that up - good info for beginners looking to try something new

i really like much of what you have set up, but have some possible suggestions... mainly i didn't like the space in the upper right so i was thinking of ways to manage that better - so i threw together this concept (based on splitting the photo space in a more diagonal than the horizontal you've got - this might also help get rid of the issue of the swim lane going thru her head.

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20081004-j45qeqxha2356m5i493hxj92s7.jpg

just something to think about

planetMitch
planet5D.com (external link)
the best Canon HDSLR site on the planet

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 21, 2008 10:32 |  #43

A little late, but didn't anyone have a problem with the floats growing out of her ear, or is that what you meant, Mitch? ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

bbowen0109
94 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 21, 2008 10:39 |  #44

I like it. I wouldn't change anything!

Bob Bowen
Olympia, WA
Canon 2-7D's with grip, 70-200L 2.8, 28-70L 2.8, 85 1.8, and 580ex
http://www.bbowenphoto​graphy.com (external link)

dadCameraGuy
667 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 21, 2008 10:48 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

PhotosGuy wrote in post #6732132 (external link)
A little late, but didn't anyone have a problem with the floats growing out of her ear, or is that what you meant, Mitch? ;)

I wasn't specifically talking about the floats, but there's certainly a lot of empty space there and you're right that they look funny.

would love to see if the original poster changed anything - final result?

planetMitch
planet5D.com (external link)
the best Canon HDSLR site on the planet

sponsored links

9,704 views & 0 likes for this thread
High school swim poster. Help me improve it.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.