Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Sep 2008 (Monday) 22:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I still have not gotten paid!!!

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 30, 2008 18:58 |  #31

Make it an error message, or say nothing.

They'll call.

Sorry that happened to you.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 30, 2008 18:59 |  #32

cdifoto wrote in post #6412475 (external link)
I would simply say "Gallery Temporarily Unavailable."

Those who care will contact you to find out why.

I agree.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

ChrisRabior
826 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 30, 2008 19:51 |  #33

+1 again..
You don't want to say anything about status of the event, contract, payment, etc. It's not professional at all.

My Gear | My Alamy (external link) | My Website (external link) | MMA Photography (external link)

turbo212003
852 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 30, 2008 21:23 |  #34

I ask for HALF upon signing contract.

Gear List
http://www.grantwphoto​.com (external link)

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 01, 2008 02:24 |  #35

CanonLaw wrote in post #6407702 (external link)
Yeah, I guess I knew that was a possibility. I just didn't think that anyone would want to do that, since the pictures are low resolution and it would take forever to do screen captures and then crop out the actual picture and the save it for most of the pictures. Some people are cheap I guess.

If someone was short on cash, then $600 is alot of money. It's tedious, takes a little time but it's free. Don't be surprised.

Keep us updated on what happens!

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 01, 2008 11:46 |  #36

CanonLaw wrote in post #6412404 (external link)
I didn't tell them they have to pay early, and I am not trying to tack on fees (I should add that to my contract though). :(

Yes, you need to amend your contract and, probably, double or triple your rates.

Some people get 50% non-refundable deposit up front before the date even gets scheduled. Personally I think 1/3 is enough.

Most get the remainder no later than the day of the wedding, many insist on it as much as a week or two prior. (Every other service at the wedding is paid by the date, or they don't deliver, including the church/minister, cake, flowers, catering, etc. etc.)

I ask for 1/3 a week prior, with the final 1/3 due upon delivery of the images.

Any changes or exceptions you might make must be in writing. A verbal contract is only as good as the paper it's on!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,547 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 01, 2008 12:12 |  #37

There's a reason why I insist on the balance 2 weeks before the wedding.

Their check could bounce. Last thing you want is to get a bad check, have it bounce, and you provided all services and whatnot.

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 01, 2008 18:26 as a reply to  @ Zansho's post |  #38

I agree with what a few of the other posters commented on... I think you need to change your contract procedures. This should have never had the chance of happening in the 1st place.

If it were me, I’d make the deposit a booking deposit (correction... "retainer"). That means, if you cancel or don’t pay by the date of payment (which will be BEFORE the actual wedding day) then you loose the retainer. Then, I’d require at least 50% of the payment to be paid on that date BEFORE the wedding in order for me to even show up and take pics. Then they must pay any remaining balance due (if any) before they get anything. No web galleries, no prints, etc. If they don’t pay, they get nothing and you can at least walk away with minimum 50% and the retainer.

Thanks Tim;)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 01, 2008 18:28 |  #39

Retainer, not deposit.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

HoRnYTuRbO
985 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 02, 2008 10:09 |  #40

have you tried bugging her friend about it???

-Vinny

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 02, 2008 10:41 |  #41

HoRnYTuRbO wrote in post #6422977 (external link)
have you tried bugging her friend about it???

Not a bad point actually.

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

DHancock
86 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 02, 2008 10:45 |  #42

CanonLaw wrote in post #6407410 (external link)
Yeah, and they are decent sized images, 600x900 pixels, so decent resolution. I did check though, and I think it would be really hard to get to the pictures, unless there is a utility that can copy images from a flash gallery. I actually don't see anywhere in the website that they could copy the images from. They would have to know the exact address for the images, which I couldn't even find. So hopefully that didn't happen.?????????

They can get them by using the "Print Screen" button. Just crop it in Photoshop and you have the picture. Clone out the watermark,... :)

Edit : should have read a few more posts. Someone beat me to it.

Tixeon
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 02, 2008 15:31 |  #43

Several others here have mentioned full payment several weeks before the wedding date. There is a sound reason for doing that - All the other wedding vendors usually want their money by the wedding date & people being people will put off payment 'till the last minute. You don't want to be part of that crowd. Get all your money before the crunch is put on them. If they don't pay by your assigned date, give them a call the following day & explain that you will not be at their event unless they comply immediately. That will get their attention & make the wedding day less stressful for everyone.

I used to call my contract an Agreement. Sounds more friendly but still effective.

As Tim said use the term Retainer not deposit. Retainers are not refundable, deposits are.

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 02, 2008 15:45 |  #44

Tixeon wrote in post #6425072 (external link)
If they don't pay by your assigned date, give them a call the following day & explain that you will not be at their event unless they comply immediately. That will get their attention & make the wedding day less stressful for everyone.

That approach will damage any rapport you have with the customer. Be nice, but be firm but a little bit flexible. My due date is one month before the wedding, plenty of time then for things to be done.

Tixeon
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 02, 2008 16:23 |  #45

tim wrote in post #6425161 (external link)
That approach will damage any rapport you have with the customer. Be nice, but be firm but a little bit flexible. My due date is one month before the wedding, plenty of time then for things to be done.

Yes, in reality I practiced the softer approach but worded it poorly in the post above. Thanks for catching that.

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

sponsored links

3,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
I still have not gotten paid!!!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.