Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Oct 2008 (Wednesday) 19:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will 580 EX II or Original Fire with PW?

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 01, 2008 19:45 |  #1

I just got a yes single! PW in the mail for a race. It will not seem to fire my 580 EX II! Is canon serious or what?:evil:

WWW.DOWNHILLNEWS.COM (external link)
WWW.IJWPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
Phase One Certified Digital Tech

sponsored links
z-monster
95 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 01, 2008 20:17 |  #2

My 580EX II works like a champ with the PW but I use 2 PW's with a third on the way for my 430EX. Are you just test firing it with the single PW you have?

My feedback

downhillnews
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 01, 2008 20:33 |  #3

z-monster wrote in post #6419697 (external link)
My 580EX II works like a champ with the PW but I use 2 PW's with a third on the way for my 430EX. Are you just test firing it with the single PW you have?

Yes I only have the 1 so I now have a useless rental!:lol:

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 01, 2008 20:37 |  #4

You need one PW for the camera and one for the flash. That is how any radio trigger from any manufacturer works on any brand of camera/flash.

Did you get it to fire some kind of event strobes?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

downhillnews
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 01, 2008 21:16 |  #5

DDCSD wrote in post #6419832 (external link)
You need one PW for the camera and one for the flash. That is how any radio trigger from any manufacturer works on any brand of camera/flash.

Did you get it to fire some kind of event strobes?

Wanted to use 1-2 580's off camera with the 300 or 70-200 F2.8! Instead of my standard natural light! I may if I have a clear shot just use 1 580 to run the other!

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 01, 2008 21:18 |  #6

Yeah, 1 PW is useless. You need one for your camera and one for each light you want to fire. There are ways to fire more than one light with one PW (still need another for the camera though), like "daisy chaining" them together.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 01, 2008 21:52 |  #7

Can I piggyback on this please?
I have 550EX and 580EX II with my Canon 5D.
I have just acquired lightstands with shoe mount (not hot shoe)
Want to use both off camera. So do I need 3PWs, one for each flash unit and one to camera mount? And what do I need to connect the PW to the flash units - a special cord?
Assume the camera mounted PW works directly off the camera's hotshoe? I assume I can mount 580EX II on camera to trigger 550EX, but if both off camera I will need 3 PWs?
Thanks! John

EDIT - Or a Canon ST-2 or ST-3 (cheaper) to trigger both, realizing that infrared may be less reliable. Will these trigger both flashes off camera?
SECOND EDIT - Or... Two Alien Bee battery receiver and one battery transmitter? Will these trigger my flashes off camera?

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

pgruiz123
232 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 02, 2008 00:37 as a reply to  @ john-in-japan's post |  #8

You can use 1 pocket wizard, but you need something to trigger the pocket wizard. For example, the sekonic 758DR comes with a built in radio transmitter that triggers pocketwizard.

sponsored links

950 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will 580 EX II or Original Fire with PW?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.