Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Sep 2008 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tethered -EOS Utility - Lightroom?

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 30, 2008 14:25 |  #1

Gang,

I'd like to shoot my 5D tethered to my Macbook Pro, using EOS Utility and import the raw file into lightroom so I can see it real time.

I've got everything working except the Lightroom "import dialogue" box always comes up asking if I want to import after each shot.

I've set Lightroom as my default linked software in EOS Utility and I've specified the correct folder, I just don't want to have to click the import button every time I take a shot.

I'm doing a product shoot this Thursday with a new client and would like the ability to quickly run a preset on the images in Lightroom so they get a better feel for the final outcome. It is a hassle to keep hitting the import button.

Any ideas or settings you know of that I might be able to change?

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
DannyG
74 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 30, 2008 14:32 |  #2

I just did my first tethered setup with my 5D and my Macbook. I followed these directions and it went perfectly...
http://www.scottkelby.​com/blog/2008/archives​/1207 (external link)

My only problem is that even though you change the EOS Utility preferences, they seem to reset to their default every time the program is closed and reopened.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 30, 2008 14:32 |  #3

Set your EOS Utility download folder as the watched folder in Lightroom and it'll auto-import.

File > Auto Import > Auto Import Settings. Then be sure File > Enable Auto Import > Auto Import is checked.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 30, 2008 14:52 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #4

I've done those things and the stinkin' Import Dialogue box still pops up, even after I see it import the image into the album folder. I also unchecked the box that says to show dialogue box.

Any ideas?

McKinney, TX

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 30, 2008 22:00 |  #5

Hey, can't anyone else trouble shoot why the dialogue box continues to come up?

McKinney, TX

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 01, 2008 04:01 |  #6

Probably need to untick this box (unless that's the one you refer to in post #4?):

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20081001-kkp77dec5w6attyd2wi2gsq5hc.jpg

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 01, 2008 07:00 |  #7

René Damkot wrote in post #6414854 (external link)
Probably need to untick this box (unless that's the one you refer to in post #4?):

QUOTED IMAGE

Yes I've unchecked that box and the dang thing still shows up.

I probably need to do a re-install. If you recall I also run into problems when trying to a batch change of capture time.

Rene,

I also have an issue getting EOS utility to work on my 1DMark IIn, it just does not see to read the camera on my Macbook Pro. Any idea of a fix for that as well?

McKinney, TX

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 01, 2008 08:13 |  #8

Another thing you might want to check: Open Image Capture (in the applications folder), and make sure it's set to "No application"
I have it set like this, and ImageIngester will open each time I connect the camera...

On Eos Utility: What OS?

It works fine together with DPP on my PB G4 with OSX 10.4.11... (using FW obviously)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 01, 2008 20:09 |  #9

I'm using the latest Mac OSX.....

I will check the Image Capture, I do have it set to "Lightroom"....maybe that is the problem!

I hope so as I have a big client that will be next to my laptop all day tomorrow and I'd hate to have that dang box open all the time!

McKinney, TX

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 01, 2008 21:20 |  #10

I can't help much with LR but EOS utilities is sensitive to the latest Mac updates. You should go to the Canon site and make sure to update to the latest version of utilities. Also read the cautions info on the update before installing, it will tell you if there are any known issues with a particular camera and OS version. I had this problem with my 5D after updating to OS 10.4.11.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 01, 2008 21:45 |  #11

René Damkot wrote in post #6415585 (external link)
Another thing you might want to check: Open Image Capture (in the applications folder), and make sure it's set to "No application"

Rene,

You nailed it, that was the problem! Once I changed that it worked perfectly!

I also created a pre-set to apply to the images since they will all be in the same light. Pretty nice.

I bought the new Lastolite LightCube Light table and cubelight, it does a great job. The neat thing is it adds the light from the bottom to remove all shadows.

Perfect for pens and such for the catalog I'm shooting.

McKinney, TX

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 02, 2008 06:23 |  #12

taygull wrote in post #6420218 (external link)
Once I changed that it worked perfectly!

:)
Good to hear

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

7,755 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tethered -EOS Utility - Lightroom?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.