Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Nov 2006 (Saturday) 22:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4 Channels Wireless Flash Trigger (my review)

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 28, 2008 18:03 |  #91

Curtis N wrote in post #4783297 (external link)
Did you put fresh batteries in it? The batteries it ships with are often discharged.

About a week or so ago I got a YongNuo/Jianisi PT-04TM. Sure enough the batteries in the Transmitter was discharged but I had the some 23A lying around so I could put in a fresh set. And its works great, tooks about 10-15 shots and then put it away waiting for a better time to use them.

Here is the problem, today I wanted to show how it worked to a few folks and it once again the transmitter was dead. I had to change out my freshly installed battery and put in the last spare one I had (these are for my garage door opener remote).

So how do you TURN OFF the transmitter??? Is there no way around besides unscrewing it and physically removing the battery?

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

sponsored links
Jim ­ M
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2008 21:23 |  #92

I don't think I have that brand, but who knows. I have never had trouble with the transmitter draining the battery while sitting around, but the receivers definitely will. I take the batteries out of mine between shoots. The transmitter keeps its battery in place. The transmitter is supposed to use power only when it is actually transmitting. Dare I say it? It is possible that your transmitter is defective.

mdruziak
212 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 29, 2008 05:23 |  #93

gjman wrote in post #6398231 (external link)
Here is the problem, today I wanted to show how it worked to a few folks and it once again the transmitter was dead. I had to change out my freshly installed battery and put in the last spare one I had (these are for my garage door opener remote).

Are you sure that something isn't pressing against the test button when the transmitter is in your camera bag? Or is the button maybe stuck in the down position? You should be able to feel the button move when you press it.

I got the same remotes a few weeks ago and they worked great with the original battery. So maybe there is something wrong with yours.

Photo A Day - My Photo Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Kafn8td
864 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 29, 2008 06:53 |  #94

Ny brand new PT-04's have an on and off switch on them.

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 29, 2008 09:54 |  #95

mdruziak wrote in post #6401327 (external link)
Are you sure that something isn't pressing against the test button when the transmitter is in your camera bag? Or is the button maybe stuck in the down position? You should be able to feel the button move when you press it........So maybe there is something wrong with yours.

Well the button is certainly not stuck. When I put in a fresh battery and press the test button I see the Red LED light up. I highly doubt that anything was pressing against it but I will observe the transmitter unit over the next couple of days, will check to see how long the LED continues to light up.

From the responses I am getting it looks like the transmitter battery is supposed to last for a very long time, the receiver does have a have on/off switch and I never had any problems with that part.

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 30, 2008 10:21 |  #96

Ok I just just checked this morning. The transmitter which had a fresh battery less than 48hours ago is now completely dead (checked using a Multimeter). I guess that was a waste of $21.

mdruziak
212 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 30, 2008 10:25 |  #97

gjman wrote in post #6409507 (external link)
Ok I just just checked this morning. The transmitter which had a fresh battery less than 48hours ago is now completely dead (checked using a Multimeter). I guess that was a waste of $21.

Have you tried to contact the vendor? It would be interesting to hear how they respond.

Flickr (external link)

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 30, 2008 10:28 |  #98

Oh yeah it was bought from DealExtreme and I used their portal to request a replacement. They want a pic of the item (??) what exactly do they want to see? The Multimeter reading ? Since we recycle batteries I was able to fish out the OEM battery (and the two replacement RadioShack ones) and just sent them a pic of that along with the transmitter. Lets see what excuse they come up with for NOT honoring the replacement request.

Apart from the battery drain, it works VERY well. No misfire at all, the transmitter works no matter how tightly you mount it or even if you dont tighten at all. So I guess even they don't honor it I can always buy a set of 23V batteries online (cheaper than RS) and use them on an as needed basis and I will just wrap some insulation tape around the transmitter (rather than using the screw) for easy removal of the battery.

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 01, 2008 00:45 |  #99

giman, is it possible that something in your camera bag is pushing the "test" button and causing the transmitter to run down?

I don't use mine much, but I'm pretty sure I have the original battery in it. I carry a spare but have never needed it.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 01, 2008 16:54 |  #100

gkuenning wrote in post #6414356 (external link)
giman, is it possible that something in your camera bag is pushing the "test" button and causing the transmitter to run down?

No the last test I did I just put in a fresh battery mounted it on my camera's hotshoe and left it on the dining table, so I could press the test button every time I came back home.

So when I found that the Red LED is not turning on I pulled out the battery and measured what was left it in 1.4V on a 12V 23A.

silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,307 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 01, 2008 17:23 |  #101

PacAce wrote in post #2327055 (external link)
For me, it's peanuts compared to what I paid for my cameras and lenses. ;) :lol:

Salted or roasted ? :)

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

moeronn
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 01, 2008 17:26 |  #102

I just ordered a set yesterday. Hoping I don't get a dud.

flickr (external link)

emdzey01
349 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 02, 2008 12:19 as a reply to  @ moeronn's post |  #103

got mine yesterday and tried it out.

plenty of misfires on mine right out of the box. having a 430EX doesn't help either (it's been reported that 430EX aren't 100% reliable with the Cactus V2s).

however, i changed to channel 4 and it's been firing on command with no problems. i have yet to put it in action but i'm confident that it'll be reliable enough for me.

now it's time to buy some stands and umbrellas.

my name is mjay.

Click for my transactions as a seller on POTN

mdruziak
212 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 03, 2008 08:37 |  #104

Last night I had some weird stuff going on with mine. I was having a problem with the transmitter making good contact with the hot shoe. It seemed to work better if I loosened up the thumb wheel.

Also the flash fired on its own a few times, but only when the transmitter was off of the camera?

Flickr (external link)

Gedi
50 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 03, 2008 11:43 |  #105

Canon 580EX II don't to fire with Cactus v2s wireless reciever by GI. Why? Help me.

Canon 5D Mark III I Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L I Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L I Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM I Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II I Speedlite 600EX-RT I Flickr (external link)

Canon 30D I Canon EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS I Sigma 50mm 1.4 I Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM I Canon 580EX II Speedlite I Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 I

sponsored links

81,485 views & 0 likes for this thread
4 Channels Wireless Flash Trigger (my review)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.