Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Nov 2006 (Saturday) 22:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4 Channels Wireless Flash Trigger (my review)

emdzey01
349 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 03, 2008 12:02 |  #106

Gedi wrote in post #6430681 (external link)
Canon 580EX II don't to fire with Cactus v2s wireless reciever by GI. Why? Help me.

set the flash to manual.

the battery for the receiver is covered in plastic. make sure you've removed that before installing it inside the receiver.

make sure the radio frequency setting matches between trigger and receiver. check that both trigger and receiver have the same dip switch setting (you can find that underneath the trigger and inside the receiver)

finally, there's also a change that your batteries are dead. note that you need to open the trigger with a screwdriver and take out the its battery.

my name is mjay.

Click for my transactions as a seller on POTN

sponsored links
Gedi
50 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 03, 2008 15:00 |  #107

emdzey01 wrote in post #6430798 (external link)
set the flash to manual.

the battery for the receiver is covered in plastic. make sure you've removed that before installing it inside the receiver.

make sure the radio frequency setting matches between trigger and receiver. check that both trigger and receiver have the same dip switch setting (you can find that underneath the trigger and inside the receiver)

finally, there's also a change that your batteries are dead. note that you need to open the trigger with a screwdriver and take out the its battery.

That was the problem in mounting foot lock into the wireless reciever. Locked in mounting foot fires don't works . No locked in mounting foot flash fires works. Strangely. :confused:

Canon 5D Mark III I Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L I Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L I Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM I Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II I Speedlite 600EX-RT I Flickr (external link)

Canon 30D I Canon EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS I Sigma 50mm 1.4 I Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM I Canon 580EX II Speedlite I Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 I

mdruziak
212 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 04, 2008 19:41 |  #108

Gedi wrote in post #6431796 (external link)
That was the problem in mounting foot lock into the wireless reciever. Locked in mounting foot fires don't works . No locked in mounting foot flash fires works. Strangely. :confused:

Strangely... I had the same problem. I think that maybe the the pin in the transmitter doesn't line up exactly like the center contact on the hot shoe.

Photo A Day - My Photo Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 04, 2008 21:05 |  #109

I pulled out my Cactus set today to do some experimentation, and they wouldn't fire. The transmitter battery measured 11.82 volts. But I couldn't find my spare to test the "factory" voltage, and my 1/4 wave external antenna is also missing (grrr).

I've ordered a new antenna, but I'm pretty sure that it used to work both with and without the antenna. Now it doesn't fire even when I hold the transmitter right next to the receiver. It also seems to me that the red LED isn't flashing as brightly as it used to.

I'm going to try to find a new transmitter battery tomorrow. But I'm wondering exactly where the threshold lies. Usually, battery-operated equipment will still work at about 2/3 the rated voltage. But perhaps these things are more sensitive.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 05, 2008 23:20 |  #110

Ok I confirmed it yet again..when left inside the transmitter the 23A battery will be unusable in about 12 hrs. It will hold about 10-11V but thats not enough juice for the Red LED to come on.

DealExtreme wants to give me a discount on my NEXT purchase but I don't think I will do business with them again. I guess even in the Cheap Chinese Generic world you get what you pay for the 4-Ch Flash Trigger are a bit more expensive on eBay and I should have bought it from there.

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 06, 2008 00:43 |  #111

Giman, it sounds like you have a turkey of a transmitter. My battery is over a year old and has dropped only about 1 volt (I picked up new ones today; unfortunately they didn't fix my problem).

FWIW, about six months ago I tested my two receivers and found that one was very flaky. So I bought another one. Now I'm thinking that I might have to buy another transmitter too, which can only be had in combination with a receiver. (I'll have to wait for the new antennas to arrive before I can be sure where the problem is.)

So far I figure I've spent over $75 on a transmitter, two receivers, a replacement receiver, and a set of parts for the antenna mod. If I have to buy another transmitter, I'll be over $100, and I'll still have flaky hardware.

This is making me reconsider the Gadget Infinity equipment. I still think it's a great way to experiment and find out whether you really want wireless stuff. But at this point, the Cybersync ($200 for a transmitter and two receivers) and the Elinchrom Skyport ($320 for the same set plus PC-to-hotshoe adapters) are starting to look pretty attractive.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 06, 2008 12:38 |  #112

Well I am still pouting that others (including you) got a good hand in this Chinese Generic Roulette. Now that I think of it, I was sent a lemon the first time I ordered a generic shutter release but the eBay seller promptly sent me a replacement. The other generics like Angle finder C etc seem to work fine.

So the moral of the story when it comes to Chinese Generics.
1) BUY from a ebay seller. At least you can screw them back with a bad review.
2) If has any sort of battery in it and hence electronic perhaps you might want to buy the OEM.

PS: It's gjman not giman (it's a J). :)

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 10, 2008 02:51 |  #113

Gjman, sorry about misreading your handle. I'd blame my eyes except my screen seems to be in perfect focus. :-(

My new Digi-key antennas arrived, and now my system works again (even with the partly used battery). I guess the antenna mod is a "you must use the antenna" mod.

Sorry to hear you had bad luck, but I'm not hugely surprised. I've gotten several Chinese and Hong Kong things that either arrived non-working, or broke shortly afterwards. Fortunately, the sellers have always been good about quick replacements. To some extent, I look at it like any other ultra-cheap thing: if it's defective, you toss it and buy another; that's part of the price of buying cheap.

Geoff

SnlpeR
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 25, 2008 08:41 as a reply to  @ gkuenning's post |  #114

my cactus transmitter failed me today
the transmitter just didnt fire when i needed them for a shoot
a buddy of mine took out his STE2 for planB....but we were also using AB800s on optical slave so i wasnt sure if the pre flash would fire the ABs
weird thing is...the preflash didnt..
i guess they were not strong enough to trigger the ABs

but my other buddy was there and was kind enough to drive to his office and let me borrow his transmitter that i modded for him

i added just a short wire inside his transmitter...

but with mine..i had the short wire plus the antenna mod

his had misfires during this shoot
i almost never had any misfires with mine...i miss it

i just ordered 2 more transmitters from GI
too bad they dont sell just the transmitters anymore....
ill end up having 6 receivers

da_teacher
853 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 25, 2008 20:48 |  #115

Gedi wrote in post #6430681 (external link)
Canon 580EX II don't to fire with Cactus v2s wireless reciever by GI. Why? Help me.

My 580EXII works just fine with my Cactus triggers...no misfires at all.

5D MK2, 85 1.8, 24-70L, 580 EXII, Strobist Kit, AB Kit with Vaga Mini, Fuji X100T

goldcanon
90 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 26, 2008 00:34 as a reply to  @ post 2414220 |  #116
bannedPermanent ban

Got it. After skimming through the posts.

SnlpeR
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 27, 2008 07:29 as a reply to  @ goldcanon's post |  #117

i said a final farewell to my transmitter

two from gadgetinfinity should be on their way
just gotta redo the antenna mod

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3041/2977353099_97b7e43431_o.jpg

twarbi
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 02, 2008 17:33 as a reply to  @ post 5795309 |  #118

How to replace battery on jiansi transmitter

Hi, Look i profusely apologise for what could be a lame question but can someone please inform me of how i am to open the casing on the Jianisi Flash Trigger transmitter? There has been talk on this forum of a screw yet i cannot see one one externally? nor can i see an indent (for fingernail) as one finds on the receiver to pry it apart. Am i to assume that i just use force to get it apart?

Thanks in adavance for your advice in this groundbreaking post!

GenuineRolla
Goldmember
1,355 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 02, 2008 20:38 |  #119

SnipeR - Were you able to just order the transmitter or did you have to buy another transmitter and receiver set?

flickr (external link) | 40/60 Photo (external link) | Petey Photography (external link)| Canon 5D + 17-40mm f/4L + 50mm f/1.4 | 3x Alien Bee B800 | shuttrr.com (external link) - are you in?

SnlpeR
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 02, 2008 21:30 as a reply to  @ GenuineRolla's post |  #120

had to buy the set
too bad they dont sell just the transmitter

ill prolly upgrade to the ABs later..
its just hard for me to get them since im not in state

sponsored links

81,472 views & 0 likes for this thread
4 Channels Wireless Flash Trigger (my review)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.