Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 06 Oct 2008 (Monday) 08:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

13 year old uncomfortable girl

savone
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 06, 2008 08:41 |  #1

I was paid to do this shoot but I almost feel bad taking the money. I am not crazy about any of the photos. It started out bad when the girl was so uncomfortable she wouldnt even answer me when I asked a question. Then to make it worst her mom made her unbutton her shirt which kind of made me a little uncomfortable (she is 13!!!). So with us both being uncomfortable I decided to just make it quick and get out of there. I tried my best to make her look like a respectable young girl and her mom did her best to make her look like a stripper.

Comments please, they dont have to be nice. I want to see what kind of reaction other people will give these photos.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

And her mom choice of a pose for a 13 year old is this:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

sponsored links
greg20d
Typo King
1,972 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 06, 2008 08:51 |  #2

I don't understand some parents I try to keep my daughters covered from head to toe ...lol

40D,10d,G10,70-200Lf4is,17-55is

NYC2BGI
846 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 06, 2008 08:54 |  #3

If I had a 13 year old daughter I would not be in any rush to make her look, act or dress any older than she really is. Some parents wonder why their kids do the things that they do. Anyway these are nice quality pictures but I agree with you that maybe the mother should do more to make her look a little more respectable.

Canon 5D3, 5D2, 40D
EF 50mm f1.4, EF 85mm f1.8,
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
http://www.facebook.co​m/HightechPix (external link)

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,911 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 06, 2008 08:56 |  #4

I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. These shots all have great focus, nice colours, good poses, excellent choice of backgrounds. If this is how the mom wanted her daughter to look, I think you did an outstanding job of taking the photos. Personally, they just look like a nice young lady dressed casually, with no sexual overtones at all. Hold your head up. You did all you can do IMHO.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

savone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 06, 2008 09:01 |  #5

Thanks for all the comments, it makes me feel a little better about the shoot. I wish dad came instead of mom! :)

Jeff
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 06, 2008 09:08 |  #6

I think you did your part of the job well. I think the girl looks fine too with just a little bit of an "attitude" coming through.

Jeff
70D | Tokina 12-24 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon 28-135 IS| 430EX
Astrophotograpy: QHY9M, Optolong LRGB filters, Meade 10" SCT, Orion EON 110mm APO, iOptron CEM60 to keep it all off the ground.
MY AIRPLANE PICS (external link) | MY ASTRO PICS (external link)

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 06, 2008 09:09 |  #7

I like the shots.. you did a good job. That girl does not look like 13...

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

710 ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,788 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2008

Oct 06, 2008 09:10 |  #8

I think, given the situation, these photos turned out really, really well. The discomfort is really evident in some of the poses, as it looks as though the girl didn't know quite what to do with her arms and hands. Other than that, though, these turned out really well. You did an outstanding job making her look like the respectable girl you were hoping to photograph.

As for the mother... I'll never understand those types.

Good job!

=--My Gear List --=
Find me at:
Website (external link)| Flickr (external link)| DeviantArt (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Guerry ­ Dalrymple
370 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 06, 2008 09:29 as a reply to  @ 710 Studio's post |  #9

Savone

IMHO these are nice photos from a tech point. She is at least dressed like many of her peers would be. Too bad about the mom but what can you do. I just wish the poor girl wasn't so uncomfortable and could have shown a smile.

Thanks for Looking, Guerry :)
Gear:
Cameras 40D, XTi, 20D. Lenses: Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, 20 2.8, 60 2.8 Macro, 100 2.8 Macro, 18-55 Kit, 70-200 f4 non IS, 300 f4 IS, 400 f5.6, 600 f4 IS, Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX, 1.4 EX TC, 2X EX TC, Tamron 28-300 3.5-6.3

acchildress
986 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 06, 2008 10:05 |  #10

They look good to me and when you think about the stress they look great.

Come be a big fish in a little pond, help build
theanswerjar.com  (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 06, 2008 10:10 as a reply to  @ NYC2BGI's post |  #11

She's not showing anything at all, except maybe some personality. Nothing wrong with that!

OP if you feel bad for taking money, offer a re-shoot.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

pretzelhead
72 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 06, 2008 11:16 |  #12

Does she have a band-aid on her left index finger? I agree with yuriyo... She does not look 13, if I were her parent I'd be trying to make her look younger, not older!

Great shots though.

7D |EOS 20D | Nifty Fifty | Canon EFS 10-22MM f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200L 4.5 | EFS 70-300 | EFS 18-55 3.5-5.6 |

Dave ­ Page
341 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 06, 2008 11:21 |  #13

Good work, nice job with the lighting, I had a simillar situation recently and I actually stopped shooting until the model dressed in a proper age sensitive fashion.

Dave Page
www.davepage-online.co.uk (external link)
Official Photographer Nottingham Panthers, Chief Photographer Powerplay Magazine

Canon 1D Mk III and 1D MkII bodies, IS L series Lenses and a large bag!

dshootist
450 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Oct 06, 2008 11:49 as a reply to  @ Dave Page's post |  #14

Technically, these images look fine. Maybe a closer crop on mom's choice and #2. Lighting is a little flat, but not too distracting.

Since I don't know if there was a specific intention for them (or if mom just wanted photos), I can't really comment on their nature. I just shot a 14 year-old girl (with mom present) who was looking to do some modeling and needed portfolio shots. While none of the shots were provocative, kids are tending to dress with more of an emphasis on anatomy, blurring any age detection. I had never met either the mom or the daughter, so the first few shots/minutes were uncomfortable as well. After some conversation with both mom and girl about the shoot, I engaged the girl, while shooting, using questions regarding the information I did have: What kind of modeling are you interested in? What have you done with modeling up till now? How is school so far? What kind of music does she have on her iPod, etc. Eventually, we struck common ground on a subject and she relaxed quite a bit, even cracking jokes and revealing more of her personality. I showed the shots on the back of my 5D as I went and fished for suggestions and offered comments as we went as well. Now, I'm not saying you did or didn't do any of what I listed, but the crux of the biscuit is: uncomfortable subject, uncomfortable image.

Why yes, I DO shoot people—and they pay me well for it.:D

Shelby ­ Chan
33 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 06, 2008 11:51 |  #15

You did a good job. In situations like these, it is good to have a female assistant to help with the shoot.

The camera looks both ways. (external link)

sponsored links

2,426 views & 0 likes for this thread
13 year old uncomfortable girl
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.