Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 07 Oct 2008 (Tuesday) 05:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I asking something impossible?

Krapo
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 07, 2008 05:09 |  #1

I want to rebuild my website.
Currently it is a flash gallery based on ImageVuex. It looks good, but it lacks key features such as password protected galleries or text pages.

My requirements are:

• It has to look nice (I don't like the design of Pbase, smugmug, Zenfolio and other photo gallery websites)
  • I must be able to add/delete galleries easily and password-protect them
  • Authorized vVisitors must be able to download full-res versions of images
  • I don't care about search engines. This site is not aimed at getting myself famous. It is just to give the address to people I shoot during family or friends events. I'm not a pro and don't intend to become one. Hence Flash is fine for me.
  • It has to be easy to install and maintain ! Even being a computer science engineer, I have now turned into a management consultant, meaning that
    • I don't know much anymore about anything :)
    • I don't have much time to get (back) into CSS/JS/Php/Flash
Is the task impossible?
I've seen something in php that looks to meet all my needs, it's called Coppermine. However, it looks awfull. I know you can put CSS on it but I don't know how to do it and I still haven't found any nice looking free CSS that I could use.

Any advice anyone?

François
---
40D + grip, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 24-70 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 580 EX II
www.casualvision.com (external link)

sponsored links
Krapo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 07, 2008 05:14 |  #2

By the way, my current website is www.casualvision.com (external link)
It will give you a sense of the kind of design I appreciate.

François
---

lindsayanng
111 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 07, 2008 11:46 |  #3

Do you also want to sell images onyour site?? or just show them?

I saw a nice option through TGGCR (i think) and it allows you to upload galleries and then the customer can click on the images, choose what they want and then send you an email telling you which size prints of what images.. I will find a link for you if you want that though. I dont have one off hand - just came across it mylsef. My only gripe with that is it is a little NON userfriendly and can be confusing the first time you use it.

OR you can go the opensource ecommerce way. Thats what i did. I created a portfolio part to my site and then the commerce part
see it here
My Website (external link) - click print shop to see the ecommerce side

This is using oscommerce, which is pretty much already coded and ready to use. You just install the contributions using the pre scripted addons.. Like the addon for your payment gateway, gift certificates, you can have certain shipping addons, ect.. they are all pretty easy and self explanitory.. Then you install a few product option addons. Mine uses one to allow the customers to put the quantity in the attributes boxes (the list with the print size/type)

Thats about it.. It SOUNDS like a lot, but it done FARLY easily especially if you have SOME php knowledge.
I like the opensource route because you CAN make a load of changes, or you can keep what you get.

jdevito
70 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 07, 2008 12:10 as a reply to  @ lindsayanng's post |  #4

I have been using Gallery2 (external link) for a few years now and it has everything you are asking for. You can allow users to register, create user groups for different galleries, you can hide galleries, password protect galleries, define which sizes are available for downloads, allow zipped downloads, and you can add a paypal shapping cart if needed.

PM'd you my personal site for a closer look.

Gear List

lindsayanng
111 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 07, 2008 12:15 |  #5

Gallery2 was my second choice.. it is similar in that it is open source and you can change a lot with it..

Krapo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 07, 2008 15:27 |  #6

Thanks to both of you. I don't plan to sell anything on my website.
lindsayanng, I couldn't find TGGCR by the way. If you stumble upon the good name, can you please PM it or post it?
Gallery 2 seems a good option. Now I need to learn about CSS.
I'm a bit afraid of going that way...
Any resource you would know about that?

François
---

lindsayanng
111 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 07, 2008 19:27 |  #7

actually.. you dont really need to learn css, you NEED to learn php.. Actually, you just need to understand it.

i couldnt write a customized code to save my life (from scratch) but i could take a chunk of code that does close to what i want and change it around.

Learning a language like that is like learning any other foreign language.. you usually can understand and read it before you can fluently speak it.

I will ALWAYS say this, but HOSTMONSTER (external link) and oscommerce have been the #1 winning combination in my book..

The host is really important because if you are new, you are going to spenda lot of time contacting customer service. They are very patient, phone is open 24 hrs 7 days, and the tech support is right here in the US (i HATE the outsourced indian companies)
They also have one click install of oscommerce which LITERALLY in one click, sets up ALL of the files and the database to work instantly out of the box. (most people quit oscommerce on the install because thats the most confusing part)

So that brings me to WHY oscommerce for a shopping cart. It is ENTIRELY customizable.. You can have a full HTML gallery and a print shop that matches (like with my site). You can really do A LOT. offer gift certificates or bridal registries, coupon codes, newsletters, ect.

we use ALL of that. We send out newlsetters to people who commisioned a shoot, say in July for Decemeber to remind them that they can get specialty items in time for x-mas. Bumps sales a little and brings that BACK to our website.. We offer a dicount code and referral program for customers to refer customers.. Lots of fun marketing options.

Once it is installed and you get the layout the way you want, you just upload your images. You can do a mass upload using an excel spread sheet, or do a few at a time on the admin side. Then you apply product attributes (which are the prints and such) and add a payment module..

THE BEST THING IS, there is a forum, much like this one, that is VERY VERY active and you can get all the free help you will ever need to walk you through everything

jdevito
70 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 07, 2008 22:23 |  #8

With Gallery2 you really don't need to know php or css, the webapp pretty much does everything for you. I fiddled a little bit with the template files to customize my header graphic and that's it. From within the admin area you can manage the whole site.

Gear List

Krapo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 08, 2008 07:37 |  #9

Thanks again for your help and effort.
I'll definitely go the Gallery 2 road, with some customization.
I agree with the importance of the hosting, but unfortunately I'm in Europe and hence US based support is not the best option for me (although not impossible).

François
---

sponsored links

1,024 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I asking something impossible?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.