Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Oct 2008 (Wednesday) 14:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D vs 30 or 50D for 2nd body

tadrscin
605 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 08, 2008 14:19 |  #1

So I'm about to take the plunge and buy a used 1D MkllN and this got me looking at prices for the original 1D (the 1DMKI, not the MKII or IIN). My question is whether or not that would be a better 2nd body compared to the 30D that I already own or even a 50D. What interests me about the 1D is the weather sealing and what I assume is a better autofocusing system than either the 30 or 50D. I don't know if this is true or not and I'm finding it difficult to find any information on that. I know that the 50D has an improved autofocus system over the 30D, but I have no idea how that would compare to the 1D or how the 30D compares to the 1D. A 2nd body would mainly for used as a remote and also for use with a 2nd lens for field sports such as soccer, football etc. I shoot sports almost exclusively so please keep that in mind. I will also be upgrading to Canon L glass if that makes a difference as to whether or not the 1D would have a better autofocus than a 30 or 50D. The 50D interests me due to the improved high ISO performance. I don't know yet if that's worth upgrading my 30D to. The few samples I've seen have looked pretty good, but I'm still waiting for more people to test that out to be sure it's all that Canon claims it is. Having recently shot indoor soccer, this would be a valuable improvement if it pans out. I'd like to hear some specific pros and cons to the 1D. Particularly from anyone that has also used a 30D. I do plan on sticking with whatever I decide on for quite a while.

Ray
------
My Gear - Ray David Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Canon ­ Bob
Goldmember
2,063 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 08, 2008 15:06 |  #2

Maybe you can draw at least some of your conclusions from a quick "test" I tried earlier today. The four shots were all taken with a 600/4 IS and a 1.4x T/C. All using aperture priority at f/8. No post processing other than resizing the RAW file in DPP (to the same framed shot) and sharpness set at 3. ISO was 400
The shots in order were 30D, 1DMkII, 5D and finally the 50D
They were quick shots without MLU and simple one shot AF.
I accept that each one could be done better but time was at a premium.
Bob

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i196.photobucke​t.com/albums/aa20/Cano​nBob/1Aw.jpg (external link)

http://i196.photobucke​t.com/albums/aa20/Cano​nBob/2Aw.jpg (external link)

http://i196.photobucke​t.com/albums/aa20/Cano​nBob/3Aw.jpg (external link)

http://i196.photobucke​t.com/albums/aa20/Cano​nBob/4Aw.jpg (external link)

1Dx2 (2), 5DSR, 1Ds3, 1D4, 5D2(590nm), 5D2(720nm) EF600 EF400 EF300-II EF300 EF200 EF200-II EF180L EF135L EF100 EF85-II EF50L TS-E17/4 TS-E24L-II TS-E45 TS-E90 MP-E65 EF70-200-II EF24-70/2.8-II EF16-35/4 EF8-15/4 EF11-24/4 Zeiss 15/2.8 21/2.8 25/2 28/2 35/1.4 35/2 50/2 85/1.4 100/2 135/2 T/C's L-SC & a WIFE!

jayadeff
367 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 09, 2008 14:17 |  #3

If the 1D-MkIIN is going to be your primary camera, then the 1D is the best choice for a backup. Why? Because it uses the same battery, so you won't have to carry around two different sets of batteries and chargers. In addition, it handles the same as the MkII so you won't be switching between completely different cameras. And finally, the speed and AF of the 1D blows away and XXD camera Canon has ever made. The original 1D is a fantastic camera and a bargain at today's prices.

tadrscin
THREAD ­ STARTER
605 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 09, 2008 14:51 as a reply to  @ jayadeff's post |  #4

Yeah having the same batteries would be nice as right now I have 2 different ones between my 30D and 350D. The biggest reason for me to go with a 1D would be the speed of the autofocus. I wasn't sure how an orignal 1D would compare to a newer, yet non-professional body. Thanks. How well does the 1D perform at ISO 3200?

Ray
------

jayadeff
367 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 09, 2008 15:05 |  #5

The highest I've used the 1D is 1600. If you shoot RAW files (which are about the same size as a 30D fine JPG) and overexpose a bit, the images are still pretty good. SInce I use the 1D mostly with the 100mm f/2.0 EF, I can run it at lower ISO than my MkII which always has an f/2.8 lens on it.

tadrscin
THREAD ­ STARTER
605 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 09, 2008 15:27 as a reply to  @ jayadeff's post |  #6

I see. The reason I ask is that when I recently shot an indoor soccer game with my 30D at ISO 3200 the best I could get was 1/400 at f2.8 which was still a full stop underexposed IIRC. This is why I find the 50D so tempting. I keep seeing very good results even at ISO 6400. If the speed of the autofocus was even close to the 1D it would make my decision really easy. Although I do have my eye on an 85mm f1.8 and 135mm f2.0 :)

Ray
------

sponsored links

1,037 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D vs 30 or 50D for 2nd body
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.