Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Jul 2005 (Saturday) 13:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF-S 17-85 Problems

swalter
293 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 09, 2005 13:29 |  #1

I received my new EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 on Thursday and have been playing around with it and it appears that the lens is defective. I was experimenting and taking some shots and noticed that at 17mm, I could not set f/4 (at 17mm focal length in Av mode). I thought maybe I was doing something wrong and when I dl'd the pics I noticed that the EXIF data showed a focal length of 85mm on ALL shots. So it appears that the lens is not reporting the correct focal length to the camera. Has anyone else seen this and is there anything I can try to fix it?

Also, I've never used an IS lens before, and I'm not sure if it's working. I tried turning it on/off and could not tell the difference at 85mm (with the shutter pressed half-way down, because I think this is what activates it). Is the IS very noticeable? Any tests I can do to verify if it's working?

I'm very frustrated right now, this is my first lens after the kit lens for my 20D.

Thanks,
Scott

http://scwalter.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
summerwind4
537 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 09, 2005 13:48 |  #2

best thing to do with a lens like this is just send it back for an exchange.....if you shot at 17mm and it registers as 85, then it really isn't communicating with the body. this is also why you can't get it to go to f/4.
with IS on, when you hald press the shutter, do you hear a faint clishck sound?.......you should
mine does

Peter/UK
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 10, 2005 02:19 as a reply to  @ summerwind4's post |  #3

Hi Scott,

Sounds like faulty connection between lens and body, if other lens work ok you have to assume you've got a faulty lens [very unusual].
I have a canon 100-400IS lens and 28-135IS lens and the IS is very noticeable after about 2 seconds of half pressing the shutter.
You could try contacting Canons website for information or help or if you know someone who has a canon camera try this lens on there body before sending it back.

Regards Peter.

accord
157 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 10, 2005 07:51 |  #4

Yes, I had that problem when mine was new. When shot at 17mm, exif reported 85mm. You can turn the zoom ring a litter bid harder at the 17mm end, after several tries, the lens should report correct exit at 17mm.

accord
157 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 10, 2005 07:53 |  #5

For the IS, you can look into the viewfinder, comparing the the view between IS turned on and off. For IS turned-on, the image should look much more steady than IS off.

swalter
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 10, 2005 13:16 |  #6

Thanks everyone for your help. I went and purchased a replacement locally yesterday afternoon for the same price, but with tax. Yes, I am pretty impatient when it comes to these things. The new one is working fine and I'll be returning the faulty lens tomorrow via UPS.

I definitely think the IS was not working on the faulty lens. With the replacement it is pretty obvious through the viewfinder that it is working when at 85mm and now I can go to f/4 at 17mm.

summerwind: I did hear a faint sound, similar to the replacement, but it did not appear to make a noticeable difference in the image stability.

accord: I tried what you suggested and it did not help, thanks though.

Now I just need to find a good filter for this lens and a good small bag, as this is my only lens right now (thinking about that 70-300 DO lens though).

Thanks,
Scott

http://scwalter.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,979 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF-S 17-85 Problems
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.