Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Oct 2008 (Saturday) 08:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where Did YOU Learn To Post Process?

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 11, 2008 17:31 |  #16

Scott Kelby Books.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 11, 2008 20:17 |  #17

Ditto.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,255 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 11, 2008 20:21 |  #18

Self taught... if utilising the forums and anything you find on Google and Adobe's help files/forums as self-taught. There's a wealth of information out there... Once I get more time I might look into some of the recommended books here but in the meantime Google will have to do :D

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: Harrow/London/UK/GB/That Part Of The World/Next To France

Oct 11, 2008 20:23 |  #19

At first, it was trial and error. Then I started thinking about my photography itself and slowly learn that to have something worth PP'in is to spend more time composing the shot.

Then I started comparing my work to other people and realised that my work had more potential. I sat and then read about how to use a workflow effectively and I guess thats about it.

Most has been self taught and the inspiration, well POTN of course. :)

Everyday, a programmer finds a way of creating an idiotproof program. Everyday, the universe spits out another idiot.....So far, the universe if winning

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,532 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 11, 2008 22:12 |  #20

Self Taught starting with Kelby's books. Then joined NAPP and took advantage of their online tutorials and in person seminars.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

Beau ­ Hudspeth
-Cool Title-
2,883 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 11, 2008 23:34 |  #21

1000's of hours in Photoshop, starting with 3.0. I have also read quite a few tutorials but mostly that is if I am looking for an answer to a PP issue I can not figure out. Oh, I did buy 2 of the Photoshop 'WOW' books from Peach Pit Press - but that was many years ago. :P

z-monster
95 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 11, 2008 23:48 |  #22

US Army Multimedia Illustrator course. I've Been using Photoshop since PS7 along with Abobe Illustrator, and Corel Draw. With those skills I'm now learning 3DS MAX on my own.

Oh yes, the US military has graphic illustrators.

My feedback

DanteCaspian
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 12, 2008 00:00 |  #23

Library-- books, books, and books... a few videos and some of the many online tutorials. Oh and practise... but not so much of that just yet!

gary88
Goldmember
4,010 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 12, 2008 00:23 |  #24

Trial/error and POTN.

www.garyhebdingjr.com (external link)|Flickr  (external link)IGear List|Alamy | (external link)Instagram: @garyhebding

Piet
295 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 12, 2008 01:43 |  #25

... gave impressive support to my classic analouge knowledge and many hours of trail & error with online sources.

Regards,
Piet

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 12, 2008 01:55 |  #26

Self-taught through tutorials and just playing around. You can learn so much by just "letting loose".

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

AndreaBFS
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 12, 2008 02:05 |  #27

I started with PS when I bought my first Mac back in college in 1995ish, but used it mostly for design. When I got more interested in editing images I spent some time experimenting with more of the photo specific capabilities and later I joined lynda.com for a few months to round out knowledge on things specific to digital photography like correctly using filters and mostly color correction. That was well worth the money, IMO.

sunnygirl
Goldmember
1,057 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 12, 2008 02:40 |  #28

Same here plus online video tutorials and POTN ..... and zillions of hours of trials and tribulations :):)

Susan
5D MKII - Accumulating way too much gear - bring on retirement so I have time to use it.......

sando
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 13, 2008 05:48 |  #29

Trial and error at first, and then once I understood more and more of the terminology I started to Google things that I heard about and saw on Ps that I didn't understand - like Layer Masks, etc...

- Matt

jsinon
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 13, 2008 06:13 |  #30

Mostly self taught, with more than a little help from the internet. And of course asking questions here on POTN. Tons of good help out there. Trial and error has gotten me more than a few results really like too.

Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-Pro1, XF18-55, XF10-24, XF50-140
http://www.jeffsinon.c​om/ (external link)
http://jeffsinonphotog​raphy.wordpress.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

5,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where Did YOU Learn To Post Process?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.