Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Oct 2008 (Sunday) 08:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

duplicating layers question in Photoshop

Kauaicrazed
778 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 12, 2008 08:58 |  #1

I have PS2 and when reading everyone's pp tips it seems there is a lot of layering involved. So I'm wondering when you do make adjustments are you always making a duplicate layer of the original layer or of the newest adjusted layer.

sponsored links
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 12, 2008 10:23 |  #2

It depends. If you have made a copy of the original and made changes to some sort of elements in the upper left quarter of it and now you want to do something in the other upper quarter you could simply make a copy of the previous layer. If you have made a selection and moved that you a new layer and then you want to work on something else then I would make a copy of the original layer. If you have masked out something that you want to now work on you will have to make a copy of the original but make sure that you are not inadvertently hiding changes that you have already made. I am more inclined to make selections of the elements that you want to work on and then copy just that to a new layer.

I am not sure if this does work in CS2 but if I have made alot of layers I will make a merged copy of the progress up to then. This is done by first selecting the layers you want to merge and then holding down the alt-ctrl and selecting the flyout menu on the layers palette and selecting merger layers. Sometimes I find it easier to work off of that merged layer going forward.

Working in layers can be confusing at first for some. Think of your image as a window with several panes and if you put up a piece of paper on one pane you cannot see the panes below behind the area covered by that paper. You have to be able to see from the top down to all elements in all layers that you have worked on.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,941 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 12, 2008 10:34 |  #3

The first thing I do is make a copy of the background layer and I never do anything to the background layer itself. Very few times would you make a duplicate of a newly adjusted layer.

A easy way to merge all the visible layers into a new layer is to make the top layer active, (pc, if mac use equiv) then hold the {alt}{ctrl}{shift} and press n then e and you will have a new merged layer on top of the layer stack.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 12, 2008 13:57 |  #4

In PSCS2 and higher, you don't need to press N first. Just Cmd+Opt+Shift+E will do. ;)

The new layer will be placed above the layer you selected.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

z-monster
95 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 12, 2008 16:17 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #5

Layers layers layers!

Layers will make or break your work in no time flat. To answer your question, anytime I make a new adjustment I create a new layer. I do graphics illustration for the US Military and I can tell ya that I've had up 50+ layers on one project alone. I'm sure that others have had far more than that.

Many users will look at multiple layers as a tedious mind-numbing task. However, multiple layers can add a lot of creativity to a project. The HISTORY in PS will only allow you to undo (ctrl+alt+z) mistakes for a short time. In the case of having multiple layers, should you decide that an adjustment isn't going in the direction you want simply delete the layer and try a new adjustment. Sure, you can do what D Thompson mentioned and merge your layers but what if you decide that you need to make a correction that you missed? This of course will all depend on your project and workflow. It is not necessary to merge and/or flatten layers before saving.

The key to layers is proper labeling. Simple names will do, like HEALING, CLONE, EYES, COLOR, HEALING 1, CLONE 2, RIGHT HAND, LEFT HAND, etc. Use whatever names that will help you keep track of your project. Layers can be moved, linked, resized, aligned, merged, and the list can go on and on forever.

Last but certainly not least, save, save, always save your project as you go along. PSD files can range from 5MB in size to larger but saving your work will be good in long run should you decide to make more changes to your work in future.

Enjoy! :D

My feedback

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,941 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 12, 2008 19:15 |  #6

René Damkot wrote in post #6482469 (external link)
In PSCS2 and higher, you don't need to press N first. Just Cmd+Opt+Shift+E will do. ;)

The new layer will be placed above the layer you selected.

Thanks for the heads up. Old habits sometimes die hard ;)

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 13, 2008 03:42 |  #7

Dennis,

I'm worse than that because I simply cannot be bothered to learn all the mind numbing key commands. So I always work via the drop-down menu. It must use the same part of my brain that refuses to have anything to do with the Custom functions in the camera!

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

I ­ Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer
6,498 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2005
Location: On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes

Oct 13, 2008 04:39 |  #8

Lowner wrote in post #6485924 (external link)
Dennis,

I'm worse than that because I simply cannot be bothered to learn all the mind numbing key commands. So I always work via the drop-down menu. It must use the same part of my brain that refuses to have anything to do with the Custom functions in the camera!

mee too! Command +J does it for me- click on the layer I want to dupe and Command +J;)

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps  (external link) My Gear ---- (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 13, 2008 05:58 |  #9

Lowner wrote in post #6485924 (external link)
I'm worse than that because I simply cannot be bothered to learn all the mind numbing key commands.

This (external link) might be a video to watch (or not ;)) then: 101 PS shortcuts in 5 minutes :lol:

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

972 views & 0 likes for this thread
duplicating layers question in Photoshop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.