Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 20 Sep 2008 (Saturday) 18:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Monument Valley - Drive only loop on your own or pay for tour?

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 20, 2008 18:18 |  #1

Going to be able to see Monument Valley for about half a day on my honeymoon. From the reading, you can drive the loop yourself but only ON the loop.

Most of the tour websites say they take you on the "off-limits" parts of the park.

Are they worth it from a photographic standpoint? This will be my first time there, so I'll be pretty happy with just getting shots of just about anything.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

sponsored links
Laramie
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 21, 2008 16:17 |  #2

Anybody...Bueller???

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 21, 2008 16:27 |  #3

My advice is to pay for the off road tour.

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

flyfisher
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 21, 2008 18:14 |  #4

It all depends what you are looking for you some of the tours take you to some of the same places that the auto road takes you to. When we were ther we did both and found tthat he off raod tour was well worth the cost.

Steve

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 21, 2008 20:20 as a reply to  @ flyfisher's post |  #5

I was there a few years ago and would also recommend the tour.
Gets really dusty when they are driving on the roads with the red dirt so be sure to protect your gear! (I had a P&S with me so I didn't give a crap:D)

Not to gross you out, but I blew my nose afterwards and it was red.:lol:

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

mleone
788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 23, 2008 12:56 |  #6

I drove myself. But it is super dusty. Red sand every place you can think of.

:D My goodies

Becca
Lady in Red
7,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 24, 2008 12:03 |  #7

I think you get to go to a few more places on the guided tour, but I liked doing the driving myself so I could stop and get out whenever I wanted to.

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

Laramie
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 24, 2008 12:16 |  #8

BeccaNH wrote in post #6372230 (external link)
I think you get to go to a few more places on the guided tour, but I liked doing the driving myself so I could stop and get out whenever I wanted to.

I believe this is what I'm leaning towards. I like the idea of taking the tour. But the dusty conditions worry me and driving myself I'll better be able to protect my gear as well as stop wherever we want.

squirl033
Goldmember
2,706 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 26, 2008 22:54 as a reply to  @ Laramie's post |  #9

the tour vehicles are pickup trucks with seats in the back and canvas canopies, open on all sides. the dust is incredible. if you take the tour, i would strongly recommend keeping your camera in some kind of protective cover, otherwise you'll get dust everywhere. it's so fine it will get into the focus ring of your lens, in the switches on the body... i have a camera rain cover that works wonderfully for keeping my camera and lens pretty much protected from that kind of thing... you can get one here (external link).

i was there in June, and drove myself... got to spend more time at the spots i wanted, and stop where i wanted, and got some fabulous photos, so for me it was worth it, even though i didn't get back into the "restricted area". from the photos i've seen, IMHO the best scenery is in the main part of the valley, accessible to anyone.

Rocky ~
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night
www.northwestnaturalim​agery.com (external link)

bryanj87
996 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 30, 2008 21:15 |  #10

For just half a day, I'd say do the drive yourself. I had about that much time and was able to get some great shots. If possible, try to get there to catch the early or late light. If you had a full day or two, take a guided tour as well. I wish I did after seeing some photos of the areas you need a guide for.

bjbphotos.com (external link) | flickr (external link)| home (external link)| fb (external link)
Stuff I use (updated Jan '11 )

Life is too short for cheap beer.

socalrailfan
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 12, 2008 22:15 |  #11

Any updates on this trip? I'm interested in info myself.

Dave - Riverside, CA PhotographersNature.co​m (external link)
Canon 60D & 40D. Canon 24-105 L, 10-22, 100mmL 50mm 1.4 and 70-300 L lenses.
My photos on Flickr (external link), my Google Earth/Panoramio photos (external link)

Laramie
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 12, 2008 22:27 |  #12

socalrailfan wrote in post #6484715 (external link)
Any updates on this trip? I'm interested in info myself.

I'm leaving a week from today. I will update the thread with pics and info. Can't wait to go.

sponsored links

3,132 views & 0 likes for this thread
Monument Valley - Drive only loop on your own or pay for tour?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.