Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Oct 2008 (Monday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Old blacksmiths shop

ANDYSUDS
88 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 13, 2008 12:24 |  #1

Took this pic of old blacksmiths shop which my friends father worked for years,any C&C is welcome.

Thanks....Andy

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Olli
-Mighty Mod-
5,435 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 13, 2008 12:50 |  #2

This is an environment I like a lot. You have captured it very well with good details. You might consider to selectevely increase the contrast, to make the image 'pop' a bit more.

My Instagrams (external link)
"The best travel is a leap in the dark. If the destination were familiar and friendly what would be the point in going there?" (Paul Theroux: Dark Star Safari)
Image Posting Rules

RAPhotography
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2008 13:15 |  #3

this screams out for a b&w version, or even sepia if you're in to that sort of thing.

a very busy shot, but, I don't think that's a problem. I find myself enjoying all of the subtle details.

ryan

Yiskah
detective in a former life
1,475 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Location: In a hut (with indoor plumbing;)), on a tropical island...

Oct 13, 2008 15:59 as a reply to  @ RAPhotography's post |  #4

Great shot. My dad had a friend who was a blacksmith- the last in our area-... man, how I wish I could have visited his shop and taken a photo like this one. A human element would have even added a nice touch. Do you have any with the blacksmith in the corner/edge of the photo?

...But still the clever north wind was not satisfied. It spoke to her of towns yet to be visited, friends yet to be discovered...

mickdo100
54 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 13, 2008 16:02 |  #5

Hi there this is a great shot well done

mi_reefy
187 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 13, 2008 16:15 |  #6

i love the scene..
and agree with Ryan about the b&w / sepia conversion ...

couldn't help myself.. hope u don't mind...

just a quick edit:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon PowerShot S5 IS

poppie ­ guy
I'm Sid. Don't be hatin' my hats.
13,870 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 13, 2008 16:21 |  #7

I wouldn't convert it to B&W, I think it's very nice as is.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 13, 2008 16:24 as a reply to  @ mi_reefy's post |  #8

I can smell the iron in the air.

I hope that the image "was/can be" done in RAW as it has enormous potential, B&W conversion being only one route.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

masayako
628 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 13, 2008 16:45 |  #9

Cool, looks like one of those images from 1st person shooter PC games :)

LesleyAnn
21 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 13, 2008 16:50 as a reply to  @ masayako's post |  #10

Love your photo just as it is Andy

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,163 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 13, 2008 20:22 |  #11

poppie guy wrote in post #6489260 (external link)
I wouldn't convert it to B&W, I think it's very nice as is.

Ditto! The tonality and soft color / tint are what makes this photo. BW would be too harsh and I think sepia would distract from some of the great, sharp detail.

Website (external link) |

lama_duke
45 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 14, 2008 00:43 |  #12

Great scene, I'm waiting to hear the clang of the hammer. The image is great as is and I like the tone and feel of it. I've looked at it for quite awhile now, and keep finding new details which is awesome. It's as close to exploring a blacksmith shop as I will ever get. In my humble opinion I like the original image. B&W would work, but would not necessarily be better.

betebete
143 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 14, 2008 09:29 |  #13

Awesome.
This is a perfect setting for a greater shot.
I think this photo would improve 500% with a old blacksmith hammering away at some heated iron object with his tools.

http://btfoto.no (external link)

SwingBopper
Goldmember
2,664 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 14, 2008 09:34 |  #14

betebete wrote in post #6493555 (external link)
Awesome.
This is a perfect setting for a greater shot.
I think this photo would improve 500% with a old blacksmith hammering away at some heated iron object with his tools.

I agree, a grizzled old smitty would do nicely!

EOS 5D II, 40D, Sony R1, Olympus 1030, Canon S5-IS.
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." A. Hamilton

Walczak ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 14, 2008 10:06 |  #15

Just my own $.02 worth here....

Personally, I would NOT turn this into a black & white. The soft colors of this shot work perfect for it...any change in that regards would be a big mistake in my opinion. It could stand maybe a slight contrast boost, but I think that would be about it.

The one thing I would change about this composition is simply the angle it was shot in the room or possibly even just the crop. First, having that vice there in the foreground on the left side there is distracting to me. Also having the forge that close to center feels a little awkward. In my mind at least, while this shot is about the over-all look and feel of the room, the forge is really the anchor if you will, so I would have put it further to the left in the composition (rule of thirds).

To be honest here, I think I might have moved around this room a little more and tried shooting it from a few different angles. Again I love the over all feel and the soft saturation but to me there is a lack of symmetry or something here that throws the shot off a bit.

Again just my $.02,
Jim

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. " - Ansel Adams
Walczak Photography - www.walczakphoto.izfre​e.com (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

1,722 views & 0 likes for this thread
Old blacksmiths shop
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.