Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Oct 2008 (Wednesday) 01:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon renewed my love for my 20D

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 15, 2008 01:26 |  #1

So I caved and bought a Nikon D80. The sexy 2.5" lcd (mind I'm used to the 1.8", so yes, sexy to me), the spot metering, and the excellent ergonomics and feel finally tempted me when I came across a good deal for it with an 18-70 lens. After a couple tests I knew something was wrong. Comparing it to my 20D with a kit lens at ISO 1600, well...there was NO comparison. My 20D actually looked better at 3,200 out of the camera than the D80 at 1,600 with high noise-reduction on. Sure the D80's noise was more uniform, but the little color artifacts on the 20D disappeared instantly after applying the slightest noise reduction, while pp noise-reduction did little for the D80. Has anyone else had any similar experience with testing a 20D/30D against a competing dslr? I would like to think that maybe my technique is flawed, because I really wanted to like the D80, but I often shoot at ISO 1600, so good performance there is important to me. But if that's just how my 20D rolls, I'm ok with that too :)

sponsored links
kenshin
47 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 15, 2008 01:41 |  #2

Nikon DSLRs prior to the D300 is not very impressive when it comes to high ISO noise when compared to the Canon models of the same age so what you're seeing is nothing new.

Canon 5DIII • 16-35L II • 24-70L • 70-200 2.8L II IS • 35L • 85L II • 100L IS • 1.4x II • 580EX II x 2 • 430EX II • ST-E2

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,200 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 15, 2008 06:33 |  #3

Try the D300, or even better the D700 or D3 - you will dump the 20D in an instant! But it will cost you more money though :-)

Seriously though, the 20D is still a good little camera and as far as noise goes will out perform a D80 easily.

Kev

tedBalog
328 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 15, 2008 07:21 |  #4

NinetyEight wrote in post #6499199 (external link)
Try the D300, or even better the D700 or D3 - you will dump the 20D in an instant! But it will cost you more money though :-)

Seriously though, the 20D is still a good little camera and as far as noise goes will out perform a D80 easily.

Errr, D3 is 10x as expensive as well...

Get a 1DsMkIII ^_^

5D | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/4L | 85mm f/1.8

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 15, 2008 07:27 |  #5

The D80 is not an impressive camera and not even compared to the D70 its predecessor.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

KarlosDaJackal
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 15, 2008 08:11 as a reply to  @ _aravena's post |  #6

Surely the fact the Nikon is 10 MP puts it at a disadvantage to the 20D which is only 8MP regarding noise?

I would think that if the kind of noise is different, you would probably have to use a different style of PP noise reduction to achieve similar results also?

My Website (external link) - Flick (external link)r (external link) - Model Mayhem (external link) - Folio32 (external link)
Gimp Tutorials by me on POTN
Gear List

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,601 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 15, 2008 08:19 |  #7

NinetyEight wrote in post #6499199 (external link)
Try the D300, or even better the D700 or D3 - you will dump the 20D in an instant! But it will cost you more money though....

_aravena wrote in post #6499394 (external link)
The D80 is not an impressive camera and not even compared to the D70 its predecessor.

The D80 was not all that impressive, but you have to add the D90 to the list along with the D300, D700, and D3. It too has switched to a CMOS sensor and its noise performance has significantly improved as well. For a sub-$1000 camera it’s a pretty nice piece of gear.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 15, 2008 08:35 |  #8

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think that for now I will stick with the 20D, since I'm more interested in getting better glass than a better camera right now. The only reason I was thinking of switching was because I found a good deal on it. The D3 or 1DsMkIII would suuuuuuure be nice though :) But what's a camera like that without a few decent lenses?
KarlosDaJackal, Yes, the 10MP probably does play into it, but if it is just a different style of PP noise reduction that was needed, I couldn't figure it out, and neither could noise ninja. The artifacts wouldn't even begin to disappear until virtually all the detail was lost anyway. This is in comparison to the 20D images which look excellent at ISO 3,200 with a little tweak of NR in Lightroom. If anyone does have any D80-specific noise reduction techniques, I'm all ears, but chances are I'm selling it anyway, since the quick and easy noise reduction for the 20D in Lightroom is an easy step in my work-flow. Thanks a lot!

kevin_c
Cream of the Crop
5,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 15, 2008 12:17 |  #9

tedBalog wrote in post #6499368 (external link)
Errr, D3 is 10x as expensive as well...

Get a 1DsMkIII ^_^

Errr, 1DsMkIII is even more expensive than the D3 ;)

I have a mate who has a D80 and he's frightened to use it above ISO400.

-- K e v i n --

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L

gregrocco
276 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 15, 2008 12:28 |  #10

shooter mcgavin wrote in post #6498499 (external link)
The sexy 2.5" lcd (mind I'm used to the 1.8", so yes, sexy to me

The 3" lcd on my XSi is sexier...;)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 15, 2008 12:36 |  #11

shooter mcgavin wrote in post #6499662 (external link)
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think that for now I will stick with the 20D, since I'm more interested in getting better glass than a better camera right now. The only reason I was thinking of switching was because I found a good deal on it. The D3 or 1DsMkIII would suuuuuuure be nice though :) But what's a camera like that without a few decent lenses?
KarlosDaJackal, Yes, the 10MP probably does play into it, but if it is just a different style of PP noise reduction that was needed, I couldn't figure it out, and neither could noise ninja. The artifacts wouldn't even begin to disappear until virtually all the detail was lost anyway. This is in comparison to the 20D images which look excellent at ISO 3,200 with a little tweak of NR in Lightroom. If anyone does have any D80-specific noise reduction techniques, I'm all ears, but chances are I'm selling it anyway, since the quick and easy noise reduction for the 20D in Lightroom is an easy step in my work-flow. Thanks a lot!

d90 and d300 are much better in comparison to older nikons, but the 20d still gives them a run for their money, and a 50d dowrezzed to the same 12mp as the d300 will likely yield better noise results. d3 vs 1dsmkiii was proven to be nearly equal from 200-3200 at the 100% crop level, so nikon, while having vastly improved and left a large gap between them and 3rd place in terms of image quality, still has a while to go. luckily they dropped their "cmos sux" campaign and should be quite the player next round of cameras (d90s, d400, d4, those will be nice to have)

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 15, 2008 12:54 |  #12

Why don't you show us that shot you took with nikon... and explain why it is the lack of ISO performance took it from a stellar shot to a mediocre.

Cameras don't matter.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 15, 2008 12:59 |  #13

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #6500945 (external link)
Why don't you show us that shot you took with nikon... and explain why it is the lack of ISO performance took it from a stellar shot to a mediocre.

Cameras don't matter.

Yes, they do matter actually.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 15, 2008 13:24 |  #14

bacchanal wrote in post #6500973 (external link)
Yes, they do matter actually.

No, actually they don't. :rolleyes:

If you wanna be argumentative, use examples.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: Harrow/London/UK/GB/That Part Of The World/Next To France

Oct 15, 2008 13:35 |  #15

My friend will not push his D80 above ISO400. Even then he has problems with noise.

One of the reasons why I will love Canon long time.

Everyday, a programmer finds a way of creating an idiotproof program. Everyday, the universe spits out another idiot.....So far, the universe if winning

sponsored links

2,538 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon renewed my love for my 20D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.