Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 19 Oct 2008 (Sunday) 06:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Waning Moonlight and the Trails

bowtie`
488 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 19, 2008 06:59 |  #1

Even though we have a waning Moon, it sure was awefully bright outside tonight. Did I over-expose the foreground here? Hard to find a balance between a milky sky and trying get some trails going.

Taken 10-19-08, Camera 5D, ISO 100, TV 930sec. (15.5 minutes), AV 5.0, Lens 24-70mm @ 24mm, single exposure image with in-camera noise reduction on

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,255 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 19, 2008 07:10 |  #2

Damn cool! No overexposure, that looks spot on to me.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

LW ­ Dail
703 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 19, 2008 07:40 as a reply to  @ Jim G's post |  #3

I wonder if the foreground could be darker? The shot is great, just wonder if a little darker would help?

But I have to say it looks like daylight, which makes the star trails an interesting addition!

Like it, either way!

Canon 5D: 24-105mm L IS, 100-400mm L IS. Canon PowerShot ELPH 340HS, Canon GII. Canon AE-1: FD 50mm, 80-200mm. Holga 120N.
"Photography is my one recreation, and I think it should be done well." Lewis Carroll

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 19, 2008 08:49 |  #4

nice one

bowtie`
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 19, 2008 17:23 |  #5

Thanks JimG and Arizona for the input.

LW Dail wrote in post #6521860 (external link)
I wonder if the foreground could be darker? The shot is great, just wonder if a little darker would help?

But I have to say it looks like daylight, which makes the star trails an interesting addition!

Like it, either way!

I took another image that was darker but I did not like it near as much. To make the sky *dark* with all the moon light everything else was way too muted. I like that the moonlight makes everything look like daylight but the stars showing the trails. Thanks for the input!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 19, 2008 17:26 |  #6

I'd say you nailed it...sweet shot!!

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

dan_bgblue
632 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 19, 2008 21:57 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #7

I think the image is very good and I could not do nearly so well. As someone who is not educated enough, could I ask a couple of questions?

At 24 mm focal length should the silos and grain bin lean so much toward the center of the frame? 2nd question is, in the lower left of the pic, there is a very noticeable vivid green cast around the objects in the area. Is this caused by outdoor lighting, barn lights, security lights?

Thanks

Gear list: S5IS, 40D, Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS, Canon 70-200 f4 L IS, Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM, Canon 50mm f1.8 mk1, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM, 430EXII, Kenko 1.4x TC, tripod

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 20, 2008 06:26 |  #8

Nice work mate. I like it :)

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

bowtie`
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 20, 2008 07:06 |  #9

dan_bgblue wrote in post #6525863 (external link)
I think the image is very good and I could not do nearly so well. As someone who is not educated enough, could I ask a couple of questions?

At 24 mm focal length should the silos and grain bin lean so much toward the center of the frame? 2nd question is, in the lower left of the pic, there is a very noticeable vivid green cast around the objects in the area. Is this caused by outdoor lighting, barn lights, security lights?

Thanks

Please always ask questions. My Grandfather says there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers. I will try my best to keep the stupid out of my answers.

24mm is considered wide angle. It is not the frame bending of 17 or lower but there still is spherical distortion especially when a *straight* object resides from the center of the image to an edge, as the silos do. The camera body also plays a part. The 5D with the bigger sensor does not have the compression of the crop bodies and assists with showing the distortion.

Another good question with the lighting in the lower left. It is indeed a florescent farm security light. Green as green can be. You actually caught one of the two edits I did on this image. First there was an electrical line running from out-of-frame right, behind the grain bin, to the barn and then over to the middle silo. The second edit was the face of the house that looks *yellow* right beside the weird green grass. The security light made the face of the house so bright and green that it stood out like a sore thumb. I knocked down the exposure on the house so much that it now looks more yellow than green but more importantly does not reach out and take your eyes away from the more important foreground buildings. Good eye on your part seeing all that there is in an image!

bowtie`
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 20, 2008 07:11 |  #10

Thanks FlyingPhotog and siddr20 for the feedback. Glad other people like the image as much as I do.

Ryan.
108 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 20, 2008 14:23 |  #11

Look's great to me. Nice!

---- ----- ----

mananetwork
POTN SMWYG Photographer of the Year 2010
353 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 20, 2008 16:42 |  #12

That's beautiful, i'm surprised you got so much light on the subject!

Tomasz Wagner | Mananetwork
Portfolio (external link) | Blog (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Le Fan? (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Tumblr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 21, 2008 18:25 |  #13

Very nice Bowtie !

Sky ­ of ­ the ­ Plains
118 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 22, 2008 19:33 |  #14

This shot is killer man, perfectly exposed! I look forward to more of your images

www.tonightssky.org (external link)

http://www.pbase.com/t​ylerburg.com (external link)

KaseyK
32 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 24, 2008 15:20 |  #15

great shot

KB
Kentucky.

sponsored links

2,818 views & 0 likes for this thread
Waning Moonlight and the Trails
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.