Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 11 Oct 2008 (Saturday) 03:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yosemite and pacific coast landscape advice

aeonnemesis
103 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 11, 2008 03:00 |  #1

Hey guys, i'm starting a big world trip in a just under 2 weeks (can't wait).. i have most of it covered however im trying to work out what to do in the US (california).. i'm planning to drive up from LA to san fran and then head back through Yosemite.

Can anyone please help with some suggested photo ops for any of the following places? :)

1) pacific coast, big sur, carmel, monterey etc anything to look out for/go out of my way to photograph?
2) yosemite NP, i have 3 days here, are there any specific places/trails i should aim to do? Currently i just know theres the half dome and the falls.. i was planning to just "wing it" when i got there... but i might waste my time and miss some great opportunities.

any advice at all would be much appreciated :) PS: i am bringing my 17-40 and 70-200 on a 40D

Brian
Canon 40D, 17-40 f/4L, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
My Photostream (external link)

sponsored links
WaltA
Goldmember
3,855 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 11, 2008 15:13 |  #2

I just finished doing a road trip from Canada down thru there. Check out Glacier Peak at Yosemite. In northern Cal you might want to check out the Redwoods in Redwood NP.

And Napa Valley is a great place to wander through as well.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

aeonnemesis
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 11, 2008 16:20 |  #3

cheers dude

Brian

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 11, 2008 21:47 |  #4

W did the coast in April, so here you go:

Point Lobos about 2 miles south of Carmel (don't miss this place)
Pfieffer Beach - further south (another msut see)
Julia Pfieffer State Park - hike into the hills (take a tripod for the creeks, falls, and macro opportunities)
Hearst Castle
Whale watching in Monterey
17 mile drive through Pebble Beach (stop at the Lone Cypress tree)
McWay Falls
The bridges along Highway 1
Numerous observation points along Highway 1
The Pacific Grove area
Nepanthe for a meal
Just south of Cambria at the southern end of Big Sur, head east on Hwy 46 into the wine country for some very pretty scenery, but do it early in the morning
Monterey Aquarium

All of those are easy to find off Hwy 1. Have fun!

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,095 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 11, 2008 22:13 |  #5

Just got back from Yosemite a bit ago. Two places that have to be on your must see. Glacier point, it's a 1/2 hour drive up there, a bit crowded when you get there but the view is outstanding. Check this out:
https://photography-on-the.net …570033&highligh​t=yosemite

The other place well worth visiting and you can make it the same day is drive up to Glacier point is to take Tioga road which is just north of the the valley and wind your way up to the Toulumine Meadow. It's a stunning place to spend the day. There is a very nice trail that weaves through the meadow. Wildlife is all over, the skies are a stunning blue as you up at almost 10,000 feet and there are photo-ops with almost every step. On your way up, or back down, stop at Olmsted point for a spectacular view of Half Dome.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Duder
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 12, 2008 02:57 |  #6

Just got back from a few days at Yosemite today. Tioga Road was closed, as was Glacier Point Road, so you're pretty much confined to the valley unless they reopen. The waterfalls are pretty non-existent at the minute, Yosemite Falls is dry as a bone. The autumn colours aren't yet at their best, although by the time you get there they might be hitting their peak.

oh, and Curry Village was shut down because of the recent rock slide.

Pete
http://www.pbase.com/p​etejackson (external link)

aeonnemesis
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 12, 2008 06:33 |  #7

thanks for the suggestions and help guys :)

curry village was shut down?? crap, that's where im booked to stay the last few days of this month.. here's hoping they've cleared it up by then.. looks like i've had rotten luck with my timing.. first the aussie dollar plumits by 35% then malaysian airlines stuffs up half my flights 3 months after i've paid in full, and now it looks like i'll be sleeping in the backseat of my car in yosemite! haha :) things can only get better! ;)

Brian

Duder
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 12, 2008 16:34 |  #8

I wouldn't worry about Curry Village. I should be open again by the end of the month, if it's not already. We were booked for thursday and friday night, and the rock slide happened on wednesday morning. only a few cabins/tents up in the back were affected, but they shut it down amidst fears of more slides. luckily we got accomodation up at Evergreen Lodge for the same nights, otherwise we would've been staying at home.

Pete
http://www.pbase.com/p​etejackson (external link)

trj911
108 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 14, 2008 12:10 |  #9

I did the trip from North to South a couple years ago. Bixby Bridge south of Monterey is always a nice shot. There will be a photo around every corner the entire trip. Bring lots of memory cards!

Tom J.
7D / 40D w/ kit stuff Sig f4 OS 80-400 Canon 2.8 IS 70-200L Canon 2.8 24-70L Canon 1.4 XII Canon 1.8 50mm BMW M5;)

aeonnemesis
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 14, 2008 15:13 |  #10

thanks for the advice :)

i've got 2x16gb and 1x8gb... but then im spending 4 weeks in peru and 1 week in thailand too. hope it's enough

Brian

Jpiano
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 15, 2008 15:48 |  #11

NIce pictures! i was just there!!

Piano:DMan
Flickr (external link)

Kanonenfutter
45 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 20, 2008 23:03 |  #12

I just posted elsewhere about this book - am I in violation if I mention it here? I picked it up in the gift shop of the Ahwanee Lodge in Yosemite Valley: The Photographer's Guide to Yosemite, by Michael Frye. $8.95. Good advice on the many locations worth shooting, with best times of day and of year and other good advice. Can be had from the Yosemite Association, P.O. Box 230, El Portal, CA 95318

Jpiano
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 21, 2008 00:38 |  #13

Thanks for the advice on the book!! going to check it out!

Piano:DMan
Flickr (external link)

aeonnemesis
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 21, 2008 03:23 |  #14

Nice one, thanks for the info :) might check it out when im there

Brian

sponsored links

2,573 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yosemite and pacific coast landscape advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.