Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Oct 2008 (Monday) 18:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fisheye Dilemma

Medic1
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 20, 2008 18:21 |  #1

Ok, so heres the dilemma.....I have been debating this out for a while and just can't make a decision so its time to poll the masses.
So I got some spare cash to spend on some gear and I have my list of next purchases...at number 1 is a fisheye lens.....

I want a fisheye, thats been decided. I also want a 5D or 5DII...I just don't know if its going to be anytime soon. I have been waiting for the 5D classic price to drop, but if it doesn't with the release of the mkII how long do I wait? Its going to eventually get to the point where I'll end up saying maybe its just better to wait for the mkII price to drop!! So what fisheye do I get?

I can get the Sigma 10mm and be good on a crop and only a crop, or get the 15mm and plan for the future to be good on the FF (when I get it) and just deal with a non-fishy wide angle for now on a APS-C sensor. I also debated the Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom, but I really like prime lenses for stuff like this and the 2.8 is definetly a plus over the 3.5-4.5 of the Tokina.

What would you do? Anyone with experience in any of these lenses tell me why I should consider each as the prime candidate to empty out my wallet! Thanks in advance....

(also, the sigma 15mm is on sale now and I also want the 100mm macro (sits in 2nd place on my want list) thats rebated right now...should I just shelve the fisheye idea for now and spend the spare cash I got on the 2nd choice maco lens?)

Gear List

sponsored links
Scott ­ McLoud
557 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 20, 2008 18:57 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I use a canon 15mm fisheye and love it. The only thing about FE (well for me) is it is my least used lens out of my equipment

Medic1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 20, 2008 19:17 |  #3

Scott McLoud wrote in post #6531004 (external link)
I use a canon 15mm fisheye and love it. The only thing about FE (well for me) is it is my least used lens out of my equipment

I know it will be for me too, but after long debate and alot of honest thinking I really do like the fisheye effect, and since this is more about buying what I want as opposed to what I need I think I can justify the cost to myself for a "once in a while" piece of glass

Are you using this on a APS-C sensor or a FF?

Gear List

r1ch
394 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 20, 2008 19:19 as a reply to  @ Scott McLoud's post |  #4

I have the 15mm sigma, great lens, great price, does not do very much on a crop. Unless you get a 5d soon, then the lens will be used very little IMHO.

I would forget the 15mm until you get a FF camera. If you need it now, get one that works on the crop sensor.

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 20, 2008 20:07 |  #5

Well, the Tokina is a real fisheye on both APS-C (at 10mm) and full frame (at 15mm). You get the best of both worlds. Yeah, it's slower, but you can hand hold the thing at 1/10s with little trouble, so the speed doesn't matter much (and you sure as heck won't be worried about DOF).

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 20, 2008 22:32 |  #6

The Tokina is a fantastic lens on both FF and 1.6 crop. I never tried it on a 1-series. I kinda regret selling mine, but I was hurting for $$$ last spring.

Steve Lexa
Iowa City Wedding Photography (external link)

Medic1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 20, 2008 22:42 |  #7

I have always steered clear of Third Party lenses, but recently after alot of research it seems that alot of them have just as good of IQ (if not better in some cases) than equal Canon lenses (in many peoples opinions). The biggest one that comes to mind is the Canon 15mm vs. Sigma 15mm...many people say the Sigma is the way to go in this case. Its kinda changed my way of thinking on the subject!

The Tokina is sounding like the best option more and more....Thanks! Any other opinions I'd love to hear them!

Gear List

Meaty0
Goldmember
3,519 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 20, 2008 22:54 |  #8

Well if you're looking for a lens that gives a true fisheye effect, then you should take a look at the Peleng 8mm.

Mind you, I have the Canon 15mm "diagonal" fisheye and find it much more useful than a full fisheye lens. It's a lot of fun!

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,744 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 20, 2008 23:05 |  #9

I do use a 10-17 Tokina, on both the 40D and 5D. It is great to have a true diagonal fisheye for both cameras in a single package :D.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, PhaseOne DF & P45+, SK 80 LS & 3 Mamiya primes, and an accessory plague

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 21, 2008 06:03 |  #10

Buy 'em all. Come on, you know you want a whole school of fish...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

Scott ­ McLoud
557 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 21, 2008 07:47 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Medic1 wrote in post #6531117 (external link)
I know it will be for me too, but after long debate and alot of honest thinking I really do like the fisheye effect, and since this is more about buying what I want as opposed to what I need I think I can justify the cost to myself for a "once in a while" piece of glass

Are you using this on a APS-C sensor or a FF?

I use it on my 1Ds mkIII or 5D most often, however i have put it on my mk3 but had to do more cropping.

marccaron21
107 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 27, 2008 12:50 |  #12

im in the same boat here

i shoot a 1.6 and was looking at both the sigma 15mm fisheye and the tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom

but i am not a prime lens fan, so the zoom looks like a good match for me, even though its a slower lens. I shoot out doors 90% of the time and i dont think a slower lens will hurt me too much

but im still searching...

sponsored links

1,289 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fisheye Dilemma
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.