Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Oct 2008 (Tuesday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Biggest complaint about CS4

neumanns
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 21, 2008 12:43 |  #1

Well my copy finally arrived today. And so far my biggest complaint is.... What an UGLY Logo!

I ordered the Web premium and the colors are a greenish yellow....Yuck!

And Photoshop is a stylish blue background with the letter "P"

What happened to the Stylish marketing design's.

There must have been some major layoff's in the design department!

I know it does not affect functionallity (I hope). But looking forward to playing with it for a couple hours after I get it installed wich I am doing right now.

Alright I'm not serious but you gotta admit the green web prumium colors kinda make ya think your gonna lose your lunch.:lol:

7D, Sigma 8-16, 17-55, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580ExII, ........Searching for Talent & Skill; Will settle for Blind Luck!

sponsored links
Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,255 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 21, 2008 12:44 |  #2

If that's the biggest concern that comes up then it must be alright ;) You never know... you might just have hurt some poor graphic designer's feelings... :p

*goes to see what the logo looks like*

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 21, 2008 12:46 |  #3

I think you should send it to me, I'll suffer for you ;)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 21, 2008 12:59 as a reply to  @ Anke's post |  #4

Phuleeeeeese!! I've seen alot of ugly logos in my day but it never dawned on me that I should post about it.

I do hope that you find the program better than the packaging. I look forward to your comments on the software.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

neumanns
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 21, 2008 12:59 |  #5

Not everyday somebody offers to help me with my troubles, Is Overnight delivery fine Anke?

Hurt his feeling's...He should be fired! My three year old has better color/design sense than blending yellow to green on graph paper.

7D, Sigma 8-16, 17-55, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580ExII, ........Searching for Talent & Skill; Will settle for Blind Luck!

Anke
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 21, 2008 13:00 |  #6

neumanns wrote in post #6535154 (external link)
Not everyday somebody offers to help me with my troubles, Is Overnight delivery fine Anke?

Hurt his feeling's...He should be fired! My three year old has better color/design sense than blending yellow to green on graph paper.

Sure, tell you what I'll even split the delivery charges ;)

Like the above poster said, I look forward to hearing the best things about it.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

neumanns
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 21, 2008 13:10 |  #7

I'm looking forward to it also...But unfortunatly I'll only get a few hours to play and then I'm gonna be away for several days.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Anke
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 21, 2008 13:21 |  #8

neumanns wrote in post #6535203 (external link)
I'm looking forward to it also...But unfortunatly I'll only get a few hours to play and then I'm gonna be away for several days.

Looks kinda pretty to me :)

Anke

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 21, 2008 13:26 |  #9

I'm probably going to switch this upgrade. I would be interested to know if it is that much different then CS3. From what I've read it doesn't sound like there is.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 21, 2008 13:35 |  #10

Neumanns, excuse me while I clean up my vomit from my keyboard.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

neumanns
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 21, 2008 14:48 |  #11

Allright, Finally completed install so i don't have to look at that AWFULL logo on the install screen.

And after 15 minutes my first impressions of photoshop are...I'm gonna love the adjustments panel and the on screen capability's. The pixal grid is gonna be fantastic (this is something I have wanted for a while) The additional control In ACR will be nice and already seems natural like it has been there forever.

So much to explore in photoshop not to mention the rest of the suite, Comming from CS2 I'm not dissapointed in the least! I'm off to try some of the other features i've heard so much about. (hey who isn't gonna at least play with the content aware scale a time or two)

Yeah I know I'm easily amused (pixal grid, Adjustments pannel, Targetable ACR adjustments) These were the kind of underreported features i was interested in and so far I am pleased. I think with the Time and Simplicity savings the program is a no-brainer.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 21, 2008 14:56 |  #12

Dan-o wrote in post #6535299 (external link)
I'm probably going to switch this upgrade. I would be interested to know if it is that much different then CS3. From what I've read it doesn't sound like there is.

I don't know where you have been reading but there is certainly some significant things in this version of photoshop which makes it worth the upgrade. There have several threads here already detailing some of these.

Things like context sensitive scaling, live preview on a number of the cloning/healing tools, new options in the auto blend and some of the long standing adjustment tools work much better just to mention a few. Then if you have the extended version there is the whole 3D thing.

Having participated in the beta program I can tell you that there is plenty in here to make it worth the upgrade. This of course is a matter of personal opinions after you have had a chance to use the program. Everyone has the option to use it given that there is a try before you buy option.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 21, 2008 15:09 |  #13

The adjustments panel alone has already saved me plenty of time. I work with a lot of adjustment layers and am constantly re-visiting and tweaking them - being able to do this without constantly bringing up separate windows and freezing out all the other controls is a godsend.

Have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by the new dodge & burn 'protect tones' feature. I suppose it will help when dealing with shadows and highlights that are right on the edge of being blown out but the colour shifts and increased saturation that the tools can sometimes produce have not been addressed.

Kevin
Cream of the Crop
5,920 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 21, 2008 15:17 |  #14

I also participated in beta testing and for the $$$, don't even think twice. Well worth it and many enhancements that make life a bit more flexible and PP time much faster.

eldiablo
Goldmember
1,360 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 21, 2008 16:08 |  #15

I concur with the above statements. My first thoughts on CS4 were mostly negative, but after spending some time working on my system, I've been able to get things running fairly well. I probably need to think about upgrading to a 64 bit system in the next year or so though as these images are just getting too large. I'm still a bit disappointed with the implementation of the DOF layer blending. But on the positive side, thanks to the fact it's just layer masks, you can go in and spend some time getting the results you want. As long as you plan ahead. I look forward to trying some landscape blends with it in the future.

It's definitely something they could improve on for CS5 though....

sponsored links

1,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Biggest complaint about CS4
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.