Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Oct 2008 (Wednesday) 05:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

just got a used 70-200 f/4L lens - help will be appreciated

webrunner5gt
90 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 22, 2008 05:51 |  #1

hello, as the title says I am in the thrilled mood of holding in my hands my first quality glass. I know that gear doesn't make good photography but since I was looking to reorganize my lenses and this one was affordable I thought it would be a good idea to grab it.

I have already done a quick sharpness test and the results are simply... :shock: amazing
During the weekend I will also do a ff/bf test to ensure that its ok with focusing issues

There are some points though that I could use your assistance since I have never owned or used a similar lens, hence being incapable of evaluating or testing it thoroughly.

As I mentioned before sharpness wise it performs great.
The USM feature is very fast indeed.
The lens seems to be in great shape with no marks or scratches and optics seem to be flawless.
The zoom ring though is a little "tight". Should it be rotating very smoothly or it is natural to "feel" the process?
The focus ring rotates smoother than the zoom one. While rotating it you can feel both ends but it rotates more than this. Is this natural?
The focus distance switch predefines a range of focus in order to assist AF in faster focusing?
Is there anything else I should check?
If I want to use a tripod should I attach the lens via a tripod ring or the camera (my camera is a 400d gripped)?

sorry for all this questioning, I am sure some of you can understand me
I will gladly upload some photos, if it is needed.

thanks in advance :)

gallery (external link) - gear (current, WTS and WTB)
---------------
dreamlucidandalwaysremember

sponsored links
eror11
314 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 22, 2008 06:11 |  #2

I don't own it so I can't comment on the smoothness and stuff, but I can confirm that there is a switch that limits the focus range and increases (even more) the focus speed. The last question depends on your tripod... if you have something sturdy, you don't need to attach it through a ring...

7D with 24-70

noodle_snacks
258 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 22, 2008 06:29 |  #3

I wouldn't buy a ring, but if you have one (fits some other lenses too), it is useful since flipping to portrait orientation is trivial.

sol95
661 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 22, 2008 07:36 |  #4

i don't have the non-is version you have, but on mine, i find the zoom ring is tighter than the focus ring
not by a great margin, but noticeable nonetheless

Bodies: 5D mk III
Lenses: 50 f/1.2L | 85 f/1.2L II | 100 f/2.8L IS Macro | 17-40 f/4.0L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Accessories: 430EX II | TC-80N3 M43: Olympus E-PM1 | Olympus m.Zuiko 14-42 II R | Panasonic 14 f/2.5 | Panasonic 20 f/1.8 | Olympus m.Zuiko 45 f/1.8

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 22, 2008 07:37 as a reply to  @ noodle_snacks's post |  #5

I tried a 70-200mm f/2.8L in a store, and the zoom ring was pretty tight. I don't recall my f/4 IS having a tight zoom ring when I bought it new from B&H.

Oh, and I tried a 24-70L in the store and it had a slightly tight zoom ring as well, so that's probably normal and should loosen up in time.

Enjoy the lens!

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 24, 2008 14:30 |  #6

egordon99 wrote in post #6540027 (external link)
I tried a 70-200mm f/2.8L in a store, and the zoom ring was pretty tight. I don't recall my f/4 IS having a tight zoom ring when I bought it new ...

I had the same observation when I bought my 2.8 IS .. in fact I went back to the store to try another one .. but it was the same.
My F4 was definately 'looser', but having said that there was more resistance on the zoom than the focus .. I presume due to the internal mechanics involved.

I never had a tripod ring on my F4 .. and I never really felt that I needed one. Now the 2.8 IS .. that's a totally different story .. :lol:

My Gear List  :p

luigis
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 24, 2008 15:00 |  #7

I have your lens.

Everything seems normal! the focus ring is smoother than the zoom and goes a little beyond the end of the scales.

The 70-200 f4L is light enough to be used with your camera on a tripod, but if you want to switch between landscape and portrait orientations a ring can be useful, you can get an el-cheapo tripod ring on ebay and they work as good as the Canon ring. No worries.

Next in your future is a Kengo DG Pro 1.4 teleconverter to make your 70-200 reach almost 300mm :)

Luigi

www.luisargerich.com (external link)
Landscape Photography & Astrophotography
Follow me on Twitter (external link)
My Awesome Gear List

webrunner5gt
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 25, 2008 08:37 |  #8

the focus ring is smoother than the zoom and goes a little beyond the end of the scales

what I mean is that during rotation of the ring you can feel both ends but the ring can still be rotated unlike eg the Sigma where it stops.

Next in your future is a Kengo DG Pro 1.4 teleconverter to make your 70-200 reach almost 300mm

I am already in search of the Kenko pro 300 dg 1.4x
At first I was looking for a canon one but after reading many threads I was convinced that the kenko ones do not lack anything, compared to the canon extenders.

---------------

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 26, 2008 09:42 |  #9

webrunner5gt wrote in post #6558022 (external link)
.. I am already in search of the Kenko pro 300 dg 1.4x
At first I was looking for a canon one but after reading many threads I was convinced that the kenko ones do not lack anything, compared to the canon extenders.

I'm convinced it does lack something .. it's not weather resistant.

Not in the same league as the Canon EF 1.4x II Extender

My Gear List  :p

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,303 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 26, 2008 10:13 |  #10

webrunner5gt wrote in post #6558022 (external link)
what I mean is that during rotation of the ring you can feel both ends but the ring can still be rotated unlike eg the Sigma where it stops.

That is normal with all Canon Ring Type USM. (full time manual focus)

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

p32shooter
713 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 26, 2008 10:21 |  #11

using the tripod ring and a grip means you need an extra tall adapter as you may not clear the pod with the grip [I have rc322 manfroto used vertically and it won't work]

great lens btw

wants for Ls :D , now have 400do;500f4is,600f4 :cool::cool: off to birding and airshows:):):)

webrunner5gt
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 30, 2008 16:23 |  #12

thank you all for your valuable feedback!

I guess I should start enjoying the lens now...

---------------

sponsored links

1,547 views & 0 likes for this thread
just got a used 70-200 f/4L lens - help will be appreciated
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.