Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Oct 2008 (Friday) 09:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you do those 'clone' shots?

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 24, 2008 09:23 |  #1

I hope I describe this well to everyone's understanding. Lately I've seen some shots where you see multiple 'copies' of the same person in the same exposure. For example, you could consider a shot of a living room, with 3 or 4 different copies of yourself in the room doing different things. One copy of yourself could be sitting on the couch, #2 could be lying on the ground, #3 might be talking on the phone and #4 might be eating a pizza. Seems like a cool little gimmicky trick. I'd like to try it out!

My question is how do you pull this off?

This is what I suspect:

Say we want the above situation (living room). We tripod the camera and shoot 4 different exposures, with the subject engaging in those different activities for each shot. Then in PS, choose one particular exposure (any), and then simply cut and paste out the subject from the other exposures into the master exposure. The lighting should of course look natural since the subject in each different shot was shot with the same exposure settings and was in the exact same scene. It seems pretty easy, but I'm wondering if there was a better way.

Edit: So am I on the right track? :D

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

sponsored links
Guapo
548 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 24, 2008 09:30 |  #2

My understanding is that you'd put each of the exposures on a different layer, then mask each layer out to reveal the others beneath it. Shouldn't be any cutting or pasting involved.

- Steven
Canon 7D MkII

Nifty Fifty - Canon 17-55 f2.8 - Canon 70-200 f2.8
L IS MkII -

Collin85
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 24, 2008 09:55 |  #3

Ah yes, makes perfect sense. Thanks!

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 24, 2008 11:26 |  #4

Put your camera on a tripod and don't change the lighting, aperture, speed, ISO or focal length between exposures. You can use the eraser tool at low opacity to blend the shots or you can use layer masks. Just keep the edges of your transitions soft.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 24, 2008 11:39 |  #5

Do a search here for multiplicty. There's a tutorial in one of the threads.

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,774 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 24, 2008 11:55 |  #6

WARNING: contains items that might make you hungry ;)

Yeh, where's Bobster at? I seen a thread a while back he started and got the idea as well.
I had to give it a try because of that thread. So while having a cookout, I made my brother pose for some shots. I used layers in PS to compile the shots. It was fun because no one knew what I was doing at the time! Well anyhow, it's not perfect, but here it is-

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 24, 2008 12:00 |  #7

https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=5831735&p​ostcount=4

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,774 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 24, 2008 12:04 |  #8

Sevillafox, that's great! thanks

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

Collin85
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 27, 2008 23:21 |  #9

Great stuff, I'm gonna try it out when time allows. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 28, 2008 07:00 |  #10

One tip for a slightly more realistic result is to change your clothing between shots, unless you are specifically going for the identical twins/triplets/quadrup​lets etc look.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

Roach711
717 posts
Joined May 2004

Oct 28, 2008 08:58 as a reply to  @ Sorarse's post |  #11

Another approach is to open all three pictures at once then use the clone tool to clone from one picture into another. This works best if you have some separation between your "clones." When your clones overlap as in this composite, you'll have to use masks or be very careful with the clone tool.
When cloning a character into another shot, find a reference point close to the character and use it both as your sample point and the point you begin to clone in the target picture. This way your background will match up.

---------------
50D, 100-400 L IS, 100 Macro 2.8, 24-105 L IS, 420EX, No talent

Shoot 'em all and let Photoshop sort them out.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,246 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 28, 2008 11:53 |  #12

If you are using PSCS3, you can use the "Align layers" command to register all of your images. That way if they are handheld, you can still get a pretty good composite. One application I heard of this was, for example, a couple on vacation. Without a tripod, you can still get a shot of the two of you, handheld, without soliciting some stranger to take your picture. You take a shot of your partner, framed the way you want it. Then you step into the scene and your partner takes the same shot of you, framed in the same way (same focal length, etc. and same reference points for framing). Then you can bring both images into PS, use "Align Layers" to register the images and then composite you into the image of your partner using layer masks or whatever tool you choose. You may have to lay in some shadows that one subject might cast on the other, but that is fairly easy. You have to give some thought to the individual poses and how you want them to combine visually, but I thought that was a pretty nifty trick.

Kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

1,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you do those 'clone' shots?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.