Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 23 Sep 2008 (Tuesday) 16:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Get off my lazy butt and share part 4 of 4

CheetaPita
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 25, 2008 21:11 |  #16

wow....love your stuff. the 5th in this series is my favorite....

http://carleymacphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
ErikM
about to go POSTAL
2,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 25, 2008 21:54 |  #17

Great set Lloyd.

Fell in love with photos.. made lots of money.. fell out of love with photos.. took a long break.. trying to find my love again.

picturecrazy
THREAD ­ STARTER
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 26, 2008 12:57 |  #18

thanks guys!

dude! Erik! It's good to see you again. I need to hang around here more often.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

ErikM
about to go POSTAL
2,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2008 13:02 |  #19

I had a super busy summer myself and I haven't posted a single bit of it...

Over the next little while I will post some of my stuff from this summer. As you said, how can you grow without critique?

Keep the images coming man!

Fell in love with photos.. made lots of money.. fell out of love with photos.. took a long break.. trying to find my love again.

Sfordphoto
Goldmember
2,564 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 29, 2008 19:15 |  #20

Great shots, Lloyd

are my eyes tricking me? i see 1dsmk3 paired with a 10-22, according to some of the labels you wrote

Gear

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 23, 2008 23:33 |  #21

Hey Lloyd, I think it's time to get off your butt and post again! How do you set up your lighting for reception? You have a flash on a light stand that you bounce? How about when your shooting outside? Just wanted to pick your brain a bit. Thanks!

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

kdg
23 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 24, 2008 05:04 |  #22

From #3 on down I L-O-V-E them. The mood is great in each. The only thing that bugs me is that big circular thing in #4. In my mind, it competes with the b/g for attention. I would mute it a bit. Hopefully someday I'll be as busy a photographer as some of you others. I must say I'm a bit envious. :cry:

picturecrazy
THREAD ­ STARTER
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 24, 2008 13:24 |  #23

thanks guys! :)

yuriyo923 wrote in post #6551038 (external link)
Hey Lloyd, I think it's time to get off your butt and post again! How do you set up your lighting for reception? You have a flash on a light stand that you bounce? How about when your shooting outside? Just wanted to pick your brain a bit. Thanks!

I've been going crazy for the past while so I haven't had time to post stuff up. sorry. as for reception lighting, the defacto answer is 'it depends'. Every reception is a different situation and has to be evaluated individually. What I do at one reception will not be what I do at the next. Some receptions are fine with bounced on-camera flash and some need 4 lights on stands placed strategically through the room.

As for outside, that also depends. Sometimes no lights, sometimes one, sometimes 5. Sorry, I can't give you any go-to setups as there aren't any.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 24, 2008 14:37 |  #24

Out of the OP's shots, I want to use the flower shot idea correctly (I've tried before without good results), and I like and wish I could simulate the brick wall shot. I'd also like to have a situation where the overhead shot would be possible; full frame would be so helpful with many of those things.

No, there aren't any standard setups, but for the dance floor I find that my 3 flashes, placed at varied angles around the dance floor, with 1 or 2 bare and either level or pointed down from a high point and another with a white umbrella seems to provide me with a combination of options: I can give myself soft fill light, edge light, side light, etc., but adjusting where I'm shooting from. Plus I can set the lights on separate groups with the skyports, so I can select one or two lights alone for different effects.

I find that to be a useful setup that gives me lots of creative options. Would more or less lights be effective too? Surely, but I don't have the experience with those. Also, I'm a fan of the edge light and hard point light sources in dance shots, so that's probably why I try to use bare flash often during dances. Here's a shot I think came out pretty well in spite of its flaws, using that very same lighting setup:

Canon 40D with 24-70L @ 50mm f/3.2, ISO probably 800;

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 24, 2008 15:03 |  #25

BTW I'm open to suggestions for generally lighting a reception. If I absolutely had to I might just position flashes in corners of the room and bounce off the ceiling, but I expect that hot spots and brow shadows would occur with that.

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 25, 2008 14:23 |  #26

picturecrazy wrote in post #6553857 (external link)
thanks guys! :)
I've been going crazy for the past while!

As for outside, that also depends. Sometimes no lights, sometimes one, sometimes 5. Sorry, I can't give you any go-to setups as there aren't any.

Going crazy huh? :) I guess that's why your picturecrazy :) lol Good luck with what your doing!!!

I understand that there is not one set setup, but with ceiling not too hight, bouncing is good? I've got a wedding on Dec. 20, I've got 2 flashes and I'm practicing at home at night, just putting flashes on light stands taking pics of my boy, bounced/direct flash. I'm getting an umbrella soon, so I'll tray difused light.

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 25, 2008 14:24 |  #27

form wrote in post #6554273 (external link)
I find that to be a useful setup that gives me lots of creative options. Would more or less lights be effective too? Surely, but I don't have the experience with those. Also, I'm a fan of the edge light and hard point light sources in dance shots, so that's probably why I try to use bare flash often during dances. Here's a shot I think came out pretty well in spite of its flaws, using that very same lighting setup:

Canon 40D with 24-70L @ 50mm f/3.2, ISO probably 800;

I like this pic.. Great shot. How many flashes did you use here? These are direct light?

Al ­ Hung
105 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 25, 2008 22:12 |  #28

#8 shows a funny little scene going on between the two girls in the background :lol:

deeeez
521 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 27, 2008 16:31 |  #29

wonderful photos... :) any camera you do not own at this point? LOL :)

EDIT:

I just checked out your blog, dude you have talent!!!

Love this forum, even though I shoot with dark side. :D
Haibert B.

leitch
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 27, 2008 16:44 |  #30

Very much a fan of the first image. However, the whole set is stellar. Great work.

~Andrew~
Canon 5D | Canon BG-e4 | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L | Canon EF 135mm f/2L | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Speedlite 580ex II | Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 | Giottos MT 9360 with Manfrotto 488 RC2
take a look at my blog (external link)flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,933 views & 0 likes for this thread
Get off my lazy butt and share part 4 of 4
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.