Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Oct 2008 (Sunday) 09:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CS4 and Vista64

iof
428 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Oct 26, 2008 09:14 |  #1

My CS4 package arrived yesterday, and I installed last night. Since I didn't fully understand how PS is implemented in a 64 bit environment, I thought I'd share my experience so others in the same situation can plan.

CS4 installs two completely independent instances of PS, one in the 32bit program library, and the other in the 64bit. You get two entries in All Programs, one for Photoshop CS4, the other for Photoshop CS4(64bit). Each is an independent installation, with its own preferences, etc.

Third party plug-ins won't work in PS64 unless the vendor has written a 64bit version. In my case I can't use Noise Ninja and Genuine Fractals in the 64bit version of PS. 32bit works fine.

Twain drivers won't work in 64bit. In my case, I can't import from my scanner in 64bit. 32bit works fine.

I have yet to figure out a workflow with CS4, but until I can get the 64bit plug-ins I use most, the 32bit version will carry the load.

I did a search, but could not find any previous posts covering this, so if this has been covered before -- oops.

Hope this helps those planning an upgrade.

Ron.
5D,20D, D60, Elan 7, Canon stuff from the 70's, Pentax stuff from the 60's, other stuff.

sponsored links
KenNC
40 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 27, 2008 19:41 |  #2

Anyone having trouble launching CS4 64 from ACR? On my vista 64 system, I double click on a .cr2 file to open it in RAW. After tweaking there, I hit "open image" to bring it into CS4. This causes an error message a lot more often than not - "Adobe PS CS4 has stopped working." Adobe tech support has been no help yet and say they have the issue elevated to leve l 3(?).

I have updated my video driver and I did a complete re-install of vista 64, vista SP1 and CS4 with no success.

Any ideas?

5Diii / 24-70L 2.8 ii / 100L Macro / 70-200L 2.8 IS ii / Sigma 85 1.4

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 27, 2008 20:04 |  #3

iof wrote in post #6563129 (external link)
CS4 installs two completely independent instances of PS, one in the 32bit program library, and the other in the 64bit. You get two entries in All Programs, one for Photoshop CS4, the other for Photoshop CS4(64bit). Each is an independent installation, with its own preferences, etc.

Do you get an option if you want to install both 32bit and/or 64bit, or do the good folks decide they know whats best for you and install both automatically? Is there a way to remove one of the versions (32bit or 64bit)? Installing both seems grossly overkill.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 27, 2008 20:12 |  #4

That sounds messy. I would only really want the 64 bit version, I use no plugins that would require 32 bit.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

iof
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Oct 27, 2008 21:34 |  #5

I did a "complete install" of a design package, so I never saw what my options would have been for a custom install.
Running the install now gives me an component install menu that makes me believe you can install the 64 bit version without the 32 bit being installed.
On the uninstall dialog, you can not uninstall the 32 bit without the 64bit also uninstalling, so installing both and getting rid of the 32bit doesn't look easy.

Ron.
5D,20D, D60, Elan 7, Canon stuff from the 70's, Pentax stuff from the 60's, other stuff.

KenNC
40 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 28, 2008 07:06 as a reply to  @ iof's post |  #6

If you do the custom install, you get to chose 64 and/or 32 bit. I have installed both versions but the problem remained. I uninstalled both version then reinstalled just the64 bit and no luck. I then reinstalled the 32 bit and continue my troubleshooting.

Interestingly, DPP defaults to the 32 bit version of PS and works fine. Further, once the 32 bit PS is open, RAW works fine.

I just can't get RAW to open in 64 bit nor can I get DPP to launch the 64 bit version. Anyone know who I could do this?

I know I could just use the 32 bit version, but one of the main reasons for the upgreade was to better utilize the 8GB of RAM I have.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 28, 2008 07:30 as a reply to  @ KenNC's post |  #7

Check out these links, might help:

http://kb.adobe.com …rnalId=kb405064​&sliceId=2 (external link)
http://www.photoshopus​er.com …um/showthread.p​hp?t=23835 (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 28, 2008 08:13 |  #8

This reminds me of installing my CS3 suite and trying to get Acrobat pro to work. You have to install each incremental update, one at a time, for it to work on Vista 64. Adobe is really sloppy with things like this.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

iof
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Oct 28, 2008 08:41 |  #9

Anyone having trouble launching CS4 64 from ACR?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by launching CS4 from ACR. Do you mean from Bridge or Windows? When I double click a .CR2 file from a Vista explorer window, it launches CS4, and then the ACR window appears on top of the CS4 window. The same happens in Bridge. Am I missing something?

Ron.

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 28, 2008 08:47 |  #10

In CS4 installer there are two checkboxes. One is labeled Photoshop CS4, the other is labeled Photoshop CS4(64-bit). You can uncheck the one labeled Photoshop CS4, which is what i did, and the installer will install only the 64-bit version.

I have an old computer and i can open my .cr2 raw file just fine with ACR5.0, then load it in CS4 for further edit.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 28, 2008 09:02 |  #11

cfcRebel wrote in post #6576107 (external link)
In CS4 installer there are two checkboxes. One is labeled Photoshop CS4, the other is labeled Photoshop CS4(64-bit). You can uncheck the one labeled Photoshop CS4, which is what i did, and the installer will install only the 64-bit version.

I have an old computer and i can open my .cr2 raw file just fine with ACR5.0, then load it in CS4 for further edit.

I also thought of only using the 64-bit verison, however the non-64-bit version can be nice when you are trying to use photoshop with some 32-bit only plugins

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 28, 2008 09:20 |  #12

Cathpah wrote in post #6576210 (external link)
I also thought of only using the 64-bit verison, however the non-64-bit version can be nice when you are trying to use photoshop with some 32-bit only plugins

Very true. However, i don't own any PS plugins. I have mostly PS actions and scripts which still run fine in CS4(64-bit).

Fee

KenNC
40 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 28, 2008 10:12 as a reply to  @ iof's post |  #13

From Bridge. My current workflow starts in Bridge. When I double click in Bridge it opens the file in ACR - no problem. Once in ACR, when I click "open image" is when I get the error message.

KenNC
40 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 28, 2008 10:18 |  #14

Chauncey,

Thanks for the help. The first link doesn't help, my video card is fairly new. Unfortunately, I am not a NAPP member so I can't see the second link.

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 28, 2008 11:05 |  #15

KenNC wrote in post #6576661 (external link)
From Bridge. My current workflow starts in Bridge. When I double click in Bridge it opens the file in ACR - no problem. Once in ACR, when I click "open image" is when I get the error message.

Do you have other Adobe program installed on the same Vista-64, like Lightroom or other photo editing software?
Also, right after the error occurs, check your windows log and see if it gives you more clue what causes the application error.

This is probably not helpful but just in case. CS4 runs flawlessly so far on my old machine, and the specs:

Windows Vista-64 Ultimate + SP1
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz single core
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
4Gb DDR PC3200 400mHz
nVidia GeForce 7300GS 256MB
...and most important of all....bloatware free and junk free.

Fee

sponsored links

4,216 views & 0 likes for this thread
CS4 and Vista64
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.