Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 31 Oct 2008 (Friday) 19:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there any way to turn the 5D mark II to...

NewOwn
22 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 31, 2008 19:23 |  #1

Is there any way to let the 5D Mark II use some kind of camcorders lenses?
I really want something like the SGpro!
If you have no Idea about what is the SGpro, here is a video explain everything.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=zqcqFz4byas (external link)
Thanks.

sponsored links
echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 31, 2008 20:15 |  #2

That's pretty poor video quality so am confused about what you're after. Camcorder lenses are not as good as any L unless we're talking mega bucks.

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProduction (external link)

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 31, 2008 22:07 |  #3

Why use lenses made for small sensors! When you can use lenses made for big sensors?

Seems like going backwards to me.

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

NewOwn
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2008 10:16 as a reply to  @ davidfig's post |  #4

I know but why there isn't any lens for the DSLRs to make such a good bokeh for the background like the SGPRO lens do for the camcorders?
I am getting a 50mm f/1.4 which makes the background blurry but not as good as the SGPRO!?

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 01, 2008 10:21 |  #5

NewOwn wrote in post #6602974 (external link)
I know but why there isn't any lens for the DSLRs to make such a good bokeh for the background like the SGPRO lens do for the camcorders?
I am getting a 50mm f/1.4 which makes the background blurry but not as good as the SGPRO!?

I beg to disgree with this comment. At 1.4, the background will be completely unrecognizable. how blurry you looking for then?

This is 85 1.8

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i23.photobucket​.com …6/atgrzymala/IM​G_8383.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

So 50 1.4 will definitely do this.

-Andy-

NewOwn
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2008 11:24 |  #6

This is an Image! I am talking about the videos!
question: Is the lens "50mm f/1.4" gonna be able to focus on a subject moving around while capturing a video using an AutoFocus?
Exaple:
the lens is focusing on someone faraway from it by AF. You press the shutter button to shoot the video, then that someone got closer to the lens, will the focusing will still be where the first time you pressed the shutter button?

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 01, 2008 12:10 |  #7

I understand your talk about videos, but what makes you think a video will appear differently than a pictures? Your talking abotu a DSLR, right?

-Andy-

NewOwn
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2008 12:25 |  #8

Yes, the 5D Mark II.
I didn't talk about any difference! I am just trying to know if the autofocus is continues while recording.?

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 01, 2008 12:29 |  #9

Well that would be a camera attribute, not a lens function. All EF and EF-S lenses have AF ability. I would assume the 5D can continually focus while recording as it would be pointless to record video if it did not focus.

-Andy-

NewOwn
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2008 12:44 |  #10

Thanks a lot Livinthalife ;)
I am sorry for making some troubles! :D

NewOwn
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2008 12:48 |  #11

Just want to say that my Powershot G9 can't do that thing so I thought all the other cameras "not camcorders" does the same thing.
I was wrong then.
Thanks.

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 01, 2008 13:00 |  #12

No problem. We have a little Olympus P&S and in video, it does focus, not well, and doesn't produce the results you are looking for, but it does focus. You getting the 5D?

-Andy-

NewOwn
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2008 13:46 as a reply to  @ Livinthalife's post |  #13

Yes I am :D and I will get the 50mm f/1.4 at first... three months later I will get a Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L...

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 02, 2008 01:02 |  #14

Livinthalife wrote in post #6603451 (external link)
Well that would be a camera attribute, not a lens function. All EF and EF-S lenses have AF ability. I would assume the 5D can continually focus while recording as it would be pointless to record video if it did not focus.

While the 5D II can AF during video recording the 5D II manual on page 123 states: "Autofocusing during movie shooting is not recommended since it might momentarily throw the focus way off or change the exposure. If the AF mode has been set to [Quick mode], AF is not possible even if you press the <AF-ON> button during movie shooting."

If you want to accurately pull focus while shooting movies you're gonna have to get a camera rig like the ones in this thread: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=577597

This thread made me chuckle I have to admit. The whole point of using video on a DSLR is to get the great narrow DOF and bokeh with DSLR lenses, which will rival anything you can get on any camcorder.

NewOwn
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 02, 2008 04:24 as a reply to  @ gooble's post |  #15

It is quite big! is it expensive?
actually, Canon should add this feature [VIDEO autofoucs = on/off] which I think it is much useful instead of nothing!
there is still some time til the 5D release, why don't they add it?

sponsored links

2,994 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there any way to turn the 5D mark II to...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.