Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Nov 2008 (Sunday) 07:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cropping?

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 02, 2008 07:31 |  #1

I am having trouble with cropping images.
say I have an image that I cropped real close in camera (1D Mark III) I can get a 4x6 just fine but if I want an 8x10 or something other than the 4x6 I am pooched. Is there any way to avoid this problem? I have trained myself to crop tight in the camera, but never really printed larger photos.

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 02, 2008 08:02 |  #2

In what way are you cropping 'in camera'?

Do you mean that you are taking the shot with a huge amount of empty space around the subject, then cropping away all that area to leave a tiny file size? (I don't know if my DSLRs will do that, but my P&S will - I've never seen the point in it so haven't looked if the DSLRs will do it as well).

Or, do you mean that you are taking the shot with the subject filling the frame as you want it? In which case the file size is all there and you can print out as big as you want.

I don't quite understand your problem, could you elaborate a bit please?

The 1D III produces files that can print 20" x 30" with ease, so don't understand why you can't get anything bigger than 6" x 4".

AndreaBFS
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 02, 2008 08:10 |  #3

britt777 wrote in post #6607940 (external link)
I am having trouble with cropping images.
say I have an image that I cropped real close in camera (1D Mark III) I can get a 4x6 just fine but if I want an 8x10 or something other than the 4x6 I am pooched. Is there any way to avoid this problem? I have trained myself to crop tight in the camera, but never really printed larger photos.

Yes, step back or zoom out. ;) Seriously, that's all you can do.

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 02, 2008 08:19 |  #4

what i am trying to say, is I am filling frame with the subject, but then if I want an 16x20 or something larger than a 4x6 it starts cutting of things in the photograph. I am not one to shoot leaving a lot of space. I shoot tight. I have attached an example

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brittany

Trog777
74 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 02, 2008 08:31 |  #5

AndreaBFS wrote in post #6608083 (external link)
Yes, step back or zoom out. ;) Seriously, that's all you can do.

Yep, leave yourself some room. If all sizes you wanted to print had the same ratio, it wouldn't be a problem. But since they don't, you need some room around your subject for a cushion.

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Nov 02, 2008 08:33 |  #6

dont they need to be sized for print though? so you dont get distorion issues?

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 02, 2008 08:36 as a reply to  @ britt777's post |  #7

Unfortunately all you can do is not to frame so close in camera. It's a 2x3 format so it will use the full frame on print sizes of 2x3, 4x6, 6x9, 8x12, 10x15, 12x18 etc. Print any other size and you'll have to crop a bit off.

You might want to invest in this focusing screen that has crop lines for 8x10. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Crop_Lines_Foc​using.html (external link)

Hope this helps.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 02, 2008 08:41 |  #8

Does using a full frame sensor help? 5D

Brittany

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 02, 2008 08:45 |  #9

britt777 wrote in post #6608198 (external link)
Does using a full frame sensor help? 5D

No, it is still a 2x3 format.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 02, 2008 09:02 |  #10

britt777 wrote in post #6608123 (external link)
what i am trying to say, is I am filling frame with the subject, but then if I want an 16x20 or something larger than a 4x6 it starts cutting of things in the photograph. I am not one to shoot leaving a lot of space. I shoot tight. I have attached an example

That isn't a size issue, it's a format one. You just need to print it at a size that suits the format.

Yes, you will have to lose a bit at the ends if you print a 16 x 20 but why not print a 16 x 24 instead? That will give you a print that uses the entire frame, just as a 6 x 4 does. If necessary, because your chosen print shop doesn't offer that size, put a border around it and get it printed as the next size up, then cut the excess off.

Otherwise, just do as others have suggested and keep in mind that you need to leave a little room at the ends when you shoot. The file sizes with your camera are plenty big enough to allow you to not shoot so tightly, then crop to format in post later.

I soon stopped worrying about filling the frame completely, when I went digital. Before that I shot transparencies, so I always framed it properly in camera as that was the finished product. It just isn't necessary with digital though and I now like to leave a little room to adjust the format and composition.

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 02, 2008 09:10 |  #11

Great, thank you for all the tips and suggestions.

Brittany

Zazoh
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 02, 2008 09:37 |  #12

This is about aspect ratio, not size. Many cropping tools, however, lead one to belive you select inches or cm or whatever. You really only need concern yourself with ratio, so a 4x6 if can be an 8x12.

I shot slide for many years, about 20. I was very concious of filling the frame. With digital, I had to retrain myself to leave some space just for the chance I want a non 2x3 ratio.

But, it really doesn't matter much, if you play around with and image and try different ratios (Square for example) you will find many hidden images within one image, in other words the shot you composed in the field can generally be recomposed in various ways after the shot.

I wouldn't sweat it. You have great gear and know your images show you know what you are doing, this is a surprising question in light of that.

A Camera - A Lens -- Gear Doesn't Matter

Damo77
Goldmember
4,640 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 02, 2008 13:50 |  #13

Hope this helps: Cropping and printing - the 8x10 problem (external link)

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

canonman4life
766 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 02, 2008 14:18 |  #14

simple...shoot loose crop later

www.scottsaxton.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,342 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cropping?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.