Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Oct 2008 (Friday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Does My Gear List Work?"
Yes, it's perfect.
37.5%
No, too much stuff.
0%
No, too little stuff.
37.5%
No, wrong stuff.
25%

8 voters, 8 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Galapagos Gear

The_Camera_Poser
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 01, 2008 16:29 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

I'd be adding a x2 teleconverter to that 300/2.8 IS, rather than a 1.4x- that would give you a 600/5.6 which would be pretty sweet on a 40D. And, I'd consider renting a prosumer point-and-shoot with a waterproof housing as well, as a back-up, for macro and for splashy boat trips.

sponsored links
Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 02, 2008 10:20 |  #17

The_Camera_Poser wrote in post #6604618 (external link)
And, I'd consider renting a prosumer point-and-shoot with a waterproof housing as well, as a back-up, for macro and for splashy boat trips.

Yeah, I was just looking into that too.

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 02, 2008 10:25 as a reply to  @ Nistelrooydude's post |  #18

Unfortunately for the price of the waterproof camera that they rent (Pentax Optio W60), I may as well rent the 14mm f/2.8L for less.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 02, 2008 17:26 |  #19

Nistelrooydude wrote in post #6604542 (external link)
^That's a good point.

For those wondering, these were my two main sources:

http://norvig.com/gala​pagos-photography.html (external link)
http://www.bythom.com/​gallens.htm (external link)

Well you have a monopod on your list. If that has a good fluid and weight-capable ballhead, it would help with the 300 a lot for when a tripod is not feasible. Plus, I use the monopod with the lens/camera slung over my shoulder when trekking, which greatly relieves the stress of carrying the 300.

As has been said, the 100-400 is very versatile, though, and works real well hand-held. When I'm shooting wildlife I'm almost always shooting at f/5.6 anyway, unless the light is really bad. But, if the photogs who've been there are stressing a fast lens, you can't beat the 300, although it will be f/4 with the 1.4x TC.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

The_Camera_Poser
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 02, 2008 23:57 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

I'd be going for the 100-400 myself.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 02, 2008 23:59 |  #21

@ OP: Just curious but when are you making this trek?

Might help to have some idea of what the weather might be like. You may end up needing the f/2.8 instead of a max aperture of only f/5.6...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 03, 2008 09:06 |  #22

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6612786 (external link)
@ OP: Just curious but when are you making this trek?

Might help to have some idea of what the weather might be like. You may end up needing the f/2.8 instead of a max aperture of only f/5.6...

December-January

GPR1
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 03, 2008 20:42 as a reply to  @ Nistelrooydude's post |  #23

With the fixed length 300 you'll be limited in compositions and I don't know how easy it will be to "zoom with your feet." My 100-400 works great, and the IS allows me to hand hold a lot of stuff. If I need shutter speed I bump the ISO. You get excellent high ISO performance with your 40D.

I've never been to the Galapagos, but I've done lots of international travel and I'd pick the flexibility of the 100-400 over the large max aperture of the 300.

I'd also beg, borrow or steal something wide. The 16-35 or 17-40 would be great. Your 24-70 will be excellent in Quito, but something wider would be good, too, as well as the landscape possibilities.

Most importantly, don't worry too much. Whatever you take, you'll have great photo opportunities.

You don't mention if you have extra batteries. I would take plenty!

--Greg
http://www.expatinchin​a.net/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/Expat​InChina (external link)

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 03, 2008 21:54 |  #24

GPR1 wrote in post #6618709 (external link)
You don't mention if you have extra batteries. I would take plenty!

I knew I forgot to put something in the OP.

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 04, 2008 06:57 |  #25

GPR1 wrote in post #6618709 (external link)
With the fixed length 300 you'll be limited in compositions and I don't know how easy it will be to "zoom with your feet."

It won't be easy at all. You must stay on the marked path and cannot step off of it. The animals of course have no fear of humans and may sit right in the middle of the path. They may also be in a very nice pose several hundred yards off the path but you can't approach them.

I've seen some fantastic photos from the 300 2.8 in the Galapagos, but I do think the 100-400 would be a better choice for flexibility.

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 04, 2008 09:23 as a reply to  @ tiktaalik's post |  #26

Man, you guys are making this hard!

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 05, 2008 06:21 |  #27

If it's any consolation, I was a total wreck worrying over my gear before I went. That will vanish though once you get there and see the beauty and wonder of the islands.

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 05, 2008 08:36 |  #28

tiktaalik wrote in post #6627165 (external link)
If it's any consolation, I was a total wreck worrying over my gear before I went. That will vanish though once you get there and see the beauty and wonder of the islands.

Figured as much, thanks.

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 05, 2008 20:27 as a reply to  @ Nistelrooydude's post |  #29

By the way, you got a lot of great shots in the islands. I was just looking at your gallery.

Nistelrooydude
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 08, 2008 19:51 as a reply to  @ Nistelrooydude's post |  #30

UPDATE

After your suggestions and many weeks of pondering, I decided to change the list. So, instead of the 300mm f/2.8L IS, I have decided to go with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. It gives me both 2.8 and zoom, so its a compromise.

I have now realized that I will want a backpack for the hikes, because the shoulder strap on my Crumpler gets annoying for any walk over a mile. But my Dakine is way to huge to bring on the hikes everyday. I was looking into some backpacks, didn't like what Crumpler had, and found the LowePro Micro Trekker 200. Any yays or nays for the bag are appreciated. Don't bother with the poll anymore.

Thanks,
Henry

sponsored links

3,719 views & 0 likes for this thread
Galapagos Gear
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.