Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Nov 2008 (Monday) 08:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many are going with the 40D after reading 50d reviews?

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 03, 2008 17:07 |  #31

static808 wrote in post #6616856 (external link)
but isnt this another argument against the 50D? if its images will start to look softer after f8, then youve got a very small usable range of sharp f stops. what if you need a really large DOF, or want slower shutter speeds??

The image will start to look soft at 100%. The actual point at which the image starts to look soft depends on how you're viewing the image. The higher the resolution, the higher the "magnification" of the image when you're viewing it at 100%, and thus the lower the f-stop required before you see diffraction effects.

The 50D has sRAW1 which, at 7.1 megapixels, wouldn't show diffraction until f/11.

Crop cameras in general will show diffraction effects sooner than full-frame cameras when you view their images at 100%, at least until recently. The 5DmkII will show diffraction effects at f/11 because its pixel density is identical to that of the 8 megapixel 30D. But whether or not you'll see it in a print depends on how large you print and how close you look at the print.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

sponsored links
Brian1cj
254 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2008 19:50 |  #32

I had a 40d, was thinking about a 50d, not because I wanted it, but because I was having the same issue a lot of people are having with the 40d and 85 L and I was looking for a replacement body of a different model to solve the issue. I just couldn't really understand the point of why I would be spending $1200 on (and this is my opinion) the same camera with more pixels crammed onto a small sensor. Once I saw some high iso comparisons, it really turned me off. I saved a bit of money by buying a used 5d instead. I feel like the 50d is just marketing and I wasn't about to buy into it... I feel like they released it early to stay hot in the game and keep Sony and Nikon off their back. I wish more R&D would have gone into it. I think it was released too soon. A more refined 50d would have been nice for a late Spring 2009 release. I feel like the x0D line is getting too consumerish. I'm not saying that because I am a 5d owner now, and I am no pro, but how much tech and bells and whistles do you need to pay for to take a decent picture? I think I prefer a camera with a bit less options to choose from. Keep it simple Canon.

SOLD:Canon 5D mk III | 430ex |70-200mm f2.8/L IS [COLOR=#000080]| 24-70mm f2.8L | 85mm f1.2L | 100mm f2.8mm macro | 50mm f1.8
UNSOLD: Manfrotto 322rc2 on 458b
www.capturedbybrian.co​m (external link)
- currently selling all gear

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 03, 2008 20:10 |  #33

not that i went to a 40D but got the 50D - today! Yes...
found out my 20D was mis-focus on the 85f1.8 in side by side test...

thanks to microfocus - +1 - it is fine tuned.
(ps version 1.0.3) - no err-99.

i could do w/out the CA mode (as well as the preset modes - but they are painted on the dial)

George.ML
70 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 03, 2008 21:48 |  #34

Brian1cj wrote in post #6618327 (external link)
I feel like the x0D line is getting too consumerish.

+1.
I like the crop factor but my next camera will likely be FF too.

The_Camera_Poser
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 03, 2008 22:02 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

I reckon the original 5D is the smart buy at the moment- if only I could afford one!

Willie
959 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 03, 2008 22:06 as a reply to  @ The_Camera_Poser's post |  #36

What now the crop cameras are no good? :(

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,564 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 03, 2008 22:12 |  #37

Well, I'm always considering upgrading to the next model, as I have the 40D now. At this point, I don't think I'll upgrade at all. The 40D is a *STELLAR* camera. I'll wait for the 60D and see if canon smartens up and ditches the megapixel race and concentrates on more important stuff. I'd be thrilled if the 60D was 10MP. Or 8 for that matter.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Gimpy00Wang
299 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2008 22:32 as a reply to  @ post 6616205 |  #38

I'm very pleased with my 50D. I purchased it before they posted their review. The more I use it the more I like it. I'm glad I got it.

Remember...the review didn't say it's a bad camera. The review just said it isn't perfect -- but things rarely are.

- Chris

6D | 16-35/4L IS | 24-105/4L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 70-300/4-5.6L IS | 35/2 IS | 100/2.8L IS

Beach_house
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 03, 2008 22:49 |  #39

Still torn on what my next jump should be. The 40d seems to be the buy I am leaning towards, but the whole 5D thing, and potential price drop as the new 5d becomes more readily available......Can't make up my mind.

50d is out of the picture, as I would, after reading a bit, rather have the 40d.

Nabil-A
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 04, 2008 05:14 as a reply to  @ Beach_house's post |  #40

FWIW, ive had the 50d for a little over two weeks and have done lots of testing and lens adjustments. In the end returned it and put the money towards a second 5D body.

While the 50D has many features that are attractive, forward and backward focusing adjustment, 6fps etc... what came out was more important.

I found the camera produced noisier images than i preferred and in comparison to my currrent 5d. Additionally, overall pixel sharpness was not there.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 04, 2008 07:15 |  #41

I think one has to compare what improvements you get for the difference in price. You can discount IQ as one one of the improvements, imo.

Micro adjustement (don't care... I don't have a problem. If my body/lenses are misadjusted, fix it, no bandaids).

Better back LCD... nice but not worth the premium for the 50D, imo

Maybe better AF (this is imprtant to me)

I am not in the least bit tempted to upgrade my 40D. Maybe, when the 60D comes out next year or go full frame.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Southswede
950 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 04, 2008 07:26 |  #42

gjl711 wrote in post #6616269 (external link)
How can anyone slam the new 5D. It's not even out yet.

It's easy: you can't or don't want to buy it, so just slam it! Same thing is applying to the 50D. The Dpreview is just adding to the fun.

I had the 40D and got the 50D. Both are great cameras. I got rid of the 40D and am very happy with the 50D. But what do I know? I only OWNED both cameras, which hardly makes me qualified to add an opinion! :)

Southswede
950 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 04, 2008 07:29 |  #43

Paul_B wrote in post #6616931 (external link)
this is really worth while reading, a Review,, read it through

http://www.amazon.com …3?_encoding=UTF​8&cdPage=3 (external link)

yes yes, it's from Amazon, but read it.

After reading that review, I would agree with it!

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,302 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 04, 2008 08:00 |  #44

Southswede wrote in post #6620826 (external link)
It's easy: you can't or don't want to buy it, so just slam it! Same thing is applying to the 50D. The Dpreview is just adding to the fun.

Sad but seems to be true. :(

Southswede wrote in post #6620826 (external link)
I had the 40D and got the 50D. Both are great cameras. I got rid of the 40D and am very happy with the 50D. But what do I know? I only OWNED both cameras, which hardly makes me qualified to add an opinion! :)

I'm in the same boat. Just sold my 40D. It was a great camera but had a few things that bugged me. The 50D solved those problems and I'm a happt camper.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 04, 2008 08:41 |  #45

static808 wrote in post #6616856 (external link)
but isnt this another argument against the 50D? if its images will start to look softer after f8, then youve got a very small usable range of sharp f stops. what if you need a really large DOF, or want slower shutter speeds??

You're falling into the same stupid argument that most people do. It's not that higher density means that everything will look softer than lower density, just means that the extra information isn't adding anything. What do you do to make it sharp again? Simply get rid of that extra information. Down res it to 10.1 MP and it'll look the same as the 40d. When you use the camera at f5.6 or faster, then the extra MP will be helpful (in my case, that's just about every time). 100% crop sharpness is completely pointless anyway. Either you print the image as is or reduce the size for web. Either way, you never really use an image at 100% crop, and if you somehow are, i suggest you learn to take photos correctly/ go for a longer lens rather than a new camera.

And just for your info, the only (1.6x) camera not diffraction limited at f11 is the 10d. If you really want sharp 100% crops, get a 10d.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

sponsored links

8,602 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many are going with the 40D after reading 50d reviews?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.