Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Nov 2008 (Monday) 08:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many are going with the 40D after reading 50d reviews?

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 04, 2008 08:49 |  #46

basroil wrote in post #6621175 (external link)
You're falling into the same stupid argument that most people do.

...... When you use the camera at f5.6 or faster, then the extra MP will be helpful .......

And just for your info, the only (1.6x) camera not diffraction limited at f11 is the 10d. If you really want sharp 100% crops, get a 10d.

If I may ask: What is the significance in 5.6 faster and or slower? Is there something that one should keep in mind that affects sharpness beyond or below 5.6?

DRH

sponsored links
MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 04, 2008 08:52 |  #47

I would have no problem with either camera if money was no issue. You just have to decide if the 50D has enough advantage over the 40D to justify the extra cost. It is an individual choice.

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

kidpower
513 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 04, 2008 09:24 as a reply to  @ post 6617216 |  #48

"Heck, after reading the 40D reviews, I'm glad I'm keeping my 30D.."

Very true. Take a look back at the hundreds of threads whenever the 40D was released. Very similar to the current 40D to 50D threads.

Many thought that the 30D to 40D ISO noise was a step backward. Many still do. There were thousands of photos and examples. Judge for yourself.

I've had both a 30D and 40D. Kept the 30D until something really wows me ISO wise in the XXD line.

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 04, 2008 09:44 |  #49

I don't know why anybody is surprised by these high-ISO results. That's what you get when you pump so many megapixels into a small sensor.

This really has to stop - loss of IQ aside, my computer can't handle files that big. Nikon got it right with this new generation of bodies, Canon's missed the mark.

ISO12800 on APS-C is such a pointless gimmick too - push a 5D or 1DIII image up to ISO12800 and I can guarantee you you'll get better results.

I refuse to buy any new Canon bodies until they start dropping the megapixel counts - it's the only possible way to get them to listen :(.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Brian1cj
254 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 04, 2008 14:31 |  #50

Does the "higher iso noise as # of pixels increase on aps-c sensors" theory hold true if one were to take smaller pictures megapixel-wise? I don't recall seeing any studies on ISO noise when shot at 8mp (or whatever the choice is) on the 50d as opposed to full resolution.

SOLD:Canon 5D mk III | 430ex |70-200mm f2.8/L IS [COLOR=#000080]| 24-70mm f2.8L | 85mm f1.2L | 100mm f2.8mm macro | 50mm f1.8
UNSOLD: Manfrotto 322rc2 on 458b
www.capturedbybrian.co​m (external link)
- currently selling all gear

Southswede
950 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 04, 2008 15:34 |  #51

perryge wrote in post #6621570 (external link)
I don't know why anybody is surprised by these high-ISO results. That's what you get when you pump so many megapixels into a small sensor.

This really has to stop - loss of IQ aside, my computer can't handle files that big. Nikon got it right with this new generation of bodies, Canon's missed the mark.

ISO12800 on APS-C is such a pointless gimmick too - push a 5D or 1DIII image up to ISO12800 and I can guarantee you you'll get better results.

I refuse to buy any new Canon bodies until they start dropping the megapixel counts - it's the only possible way to get them to listen :(.

My 50D is great.

Maybe Nikon has more of what you are looking for........

who ­ me?
326 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Nov 04, 2008 15:44 |  #52

Unfortunately, I think you will be in the minority. Except for the better educated (like those on this forum) the megapixel war will continue. Bigger numbers are good.. so is hyping those numbers through marketing. Which means sales and a corporation like Canon will not care as long as they are making $$.

Personally, I would love to upgrade my 20D to something newer just to get some of the newer technology like spot metering, sensor cleaning, and larger LCD. Basically, features that I feel I could use. BUT, by the time I get the $$ to upgrade, I am betting the 50D will be last year's model. Yea, I know....whine..whine.
It is fun to read entertaining threads like these though.;)

If you try to fail and succeed, what have you really done??
Gear List

KarlMarsh
Living in a Marshist regime
426 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 04, 2008 16:16 as a reply to  @ who me?'s post |  #53

I'm going to stick with my 30D. I feel it has the correct pixel density for an APS-C sensor.

Karl
Gear List
Gallery (external link) Smugmug
Gallery (external link) Flickr

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 04, 2008 17:40 |  #54

Better keep what you've got then.

The high iso Dpreview review is blown way out of proportion if you ask me. If you turn off all in camera noise reduction one can achieve good usable results at iso 6400. Noise can be overcome quite easily in post processing with a third party app.

javanutsy
751 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2008 19:55 |  #55

KarlMarsh wrote in post #6623931 (external link)
I'm going to stick with my 30D. I feel it has the correct pixel density for an APS-C sensor.

Was excited to upgrade from my 30D when news of the 50D came out... But have since decided to pick up a 35L instead :D I am perfectly happy with my 30D still.

galleryexternal link | gear

AnimalRights
24 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 04, 2008 20:14 |  #56

Paul_B wrote in post #6616931 (external link)
this is really worth while reading, a Review,, read it through

http://www.amazon.com …3?_encoding=UTF​8&cdPage=3 (external link)

yes yes, it's from Amazon, but read it.

Fantastic review, easy to understand too.

http://pix.ie/PunkRock (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/user/JANER64 (external link)

Paul_B
177 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 04, 2008 20:26 as a reply to  @ AnimalRights's post |  #57

yes, I found it to be a great review. I liked that she uses the 50D / 40D / and the Nikon D300.

compares them all, and shares thoughts on each.

further down, she refers to the DP review,

a paste of some of it, see the rest at that link, near bottom of

As you can tell from the Introduction section of my review, I have great respect for the technical reviews done by dpreview. For example, I waited until Phil Askey had done the review of the Nikon D300 before purchasing it. Their review of the Canon 50D was released a few days ago on Thursday, October 30, 2008. It contains a list of thirty (30) positives and seven (7) negatives. Two (2) of the negatives are the usual - poor white balance under artificial light and the flash must be up for AF assist lamp although they did acknowledge that AF is now good even in low light. However, I think you should bear the other five (5) in mind when considering the Canon 50D.

Here is a summary of the negatives along with my comments:
1.The image quality of the Canon 50D is NOT significantly better than the Canon 40D.
They did agree that the image quality is better. However, they did not feel that it was significant enough to justify the price. However, IMO the price difference is not just about the image quality. It is also about all the new/changed features when compared to the Canon 40D. I still feel that there is a slight better image quality over the Nikon D300 and a clear difference over the Canon 40D. There are many other users who have reported this. However, you need to take the dpreview findings into consideration as they perform much more stringent tests when it comes to image quality. If you were thinking of buying the Canon 50D over the Canon 40D just for better image quality then you should really consider the latter camera.

1D Mk2N / 20D
Sigma 17-70 F2.8 - 4.5 Macro DC
Canon EF 100-400 L IS
Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX HSM
Nifty Fifty

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 04, 2008 21:04 as a reply to  @ Paul_B's post |  #58

What a lot of people are basing their conclusion on with these not so good Dpreview results is the fact the camera (50D) comes factory set with Noise Reduction turned ON. If its set to OFF the results are better, where as you don't get that mushed out look in the Color Channels.

booboo
333 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 04, 2008 21:11 |  #59

I already have the 40D but then the 50D came out and I was gonna switch... but with that review from DPReview... might as well fund my 5D and keep the 40D for a back-up

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 04, 2008 22:26 |  #60

David Ransley wrote in post #6621239 (external link)
If I may ask: What is the significance in 5.6 faster and or slower? Is there something that one should keep in mind that affects sharpness beyond or below 5.6?

No you may not ;)

Like i said before, slower than f5.6 (i.e. f8, f11), the 50d will be diffraction limited. That doesn't mean that it will have less quality than a 40d or 10d or even a D30. It'll just not get any more information that is of any use. Below 5.6 (FASTER than 5.6), the lenses will likely be design limited, but at least there's no diffraction limit.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

sponsored links

8,609 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many are going with the 40D after reading 50d reviews?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.