Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Nov 2008 (Monday) 08:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Think Tank or Pelican

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 10, 2008 08:51 |  #1

Hi all, I am looking into a roller case. I have a lot of equipment and seem to always leave something behind I need. So I thought if I just get a big case with wheels I will always have everything I need in one place.
I have read a lot of reviews, but as we all know that can get real confusing. From what I have read though, I think I have narrowed it down to the Pelican 1510 or the Think Tank Security.
I don't fly much at this time, but plan to down the road. So I would like a bag that I can travel with.
I have most of my equipment in my gear list. Any tips or suggetions as to which bag would best suit my needs would be greatly appreciated. :D

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Gimpy00Wang
299 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 10, 2008 14:59 |  #2

Looking at your gear list I think you'd be fine with a 1510 if you chose EITHER the 70-200 f/2.8 OR the 400 f/4.6. I'm not sure you'd be able to squeeze both in there. You might have to keep a lens or one of the bodies out for them to fit. I have everything in my sig in a 1510 with room to spare. You've got two big lenses to deal with though...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

- Chris

6D | 16-35/4L IS | 24-105/4L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 70-300/4-5.6L IS | 35/2 IS | 100/2.8L IS

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 10, 2008 15:59 |  #3

The Think Tank AS should easily handle your needs.

Jim

My Gear

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 10, 2008 16:10 |  #4

I have both Pelican and the TT Airport Security, I love the TT AS for all my camera gear all the camera gear in my sig fit, plus you can not beat TT customer service
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com …ge_display.html​?tid=31280 (external link)
The Pelican 1650 case I use for my strobes, if I have to fly I will stick the TT inside a Pelican case and check it in

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 10, 2008 19:30 |  #5

thank you for the suggestions, I just ordered the Think Tank AS.:D After all the posts and reviews I have read, I couldn't be more excited. The bag was a tad pricey, but I am hoping it will be the last bag I will ever need, so I bit the bullet. Now I am just anxiously awaiting the man in the brown outfit....lol.

Brittany

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 10, 2008 20:21 |  #6

You made a good choice, I too have both and prefer the TT bag. I can fit a lot more in it than the Pelican and they are very well built bags. Worth the money.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 17, 2008 19:27 |  #7

Well I got my Thinktank AS bag and Wow what a bag. I couldn't be happier. It was definitely pricer in comparison to the Pelican 1510, but this is one heck of a bag. I love the ablility to lock the bag up. Its a very good looking bag. I would highly recommend this bag to anyone looking for a good travel bag with wheels and a ton of storage!!!
I have everything listed in my signature and more in this bag.:D

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brittany

ifixsharp
299 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 17, 2008 19:33 as a reply to  @ britt777's post |  #8

Think Tank is the way to go. Holds all my lenses including the 300 2.8, 100-400, 70-200, 1.4x ,2x, 24-105, 580 flash, 3 batteries, and two camera bodies.

G

Greg
---------------
Photos...http://www.PhotosByRas​berry.com (external link)
5DMK3 | 5DC | 7DMK2 | 1D Mark III | 40D | Canon 24-105mm f/4L | Canon 500mm f/4L | Canon 100-400L | Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8L

dompap21
62 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 17, 2008 19:45 |  #9

Think Tank makes some great products. I have a smaller version Think Tank (Speed Demon) and have been extremely happy with it.

2x30D+5D|Sigma 15-30 and fast 50|Canon 24-70L 135L and 100-400L| 2x580EX

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 18, 2008 09:55 |  #10

Does that meet carry-on requirements? Or do you check that?

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 18, 2008 11:05 |  #11

it meets carry on requirements

Brittany

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 18, 2008 12:27 |  #12

cory1848 wrote in post #6710599 (external link)
Does that meet carry-on requirements? Or do you check that?

Never, ever, check your equipment!

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 18, 2008 14:53 as a reply to  @ Pinto's post |  #13

A few points not brought up yet......

Pelican is strong, perhaps way stronger than you would ever need to protect your equipment (unless a 4 year old is playing with it). I carry all my gear in soft bags (even in ThinkTank Belt pouch system) and nothing has ever been damaged.

Pelican is HEAVY. Empty they are a beast to carry. Wheels don't make it that much better either. So take that into consideration (wonder now why I have 2 Pelican Cases and never use them?)

ThinkTank (I use the belt systems when I'm actually taking pictures) is well engineered. I have one of their bags and its NICE. All their stuff is nice (for the record, Pelican is NICE too).

Personally, I'd use the ThinkTank bags over Pelican......

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

Mark
Dammit I need sleep
3,386 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 19, 2008 01:08 |  #14

I personally really like the thinktank belt system for in the field, and the 1510 pelican for transport to the field, the pelican protects it all very very well, rolls nicely, and the best bit is that once your gear is in there, you don't have to worry about, but it is very very useless for use in the field, as you have to open it with those big latches etc...

Mark

sponsored links

1,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
Think Tank or Pelican
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.