Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Nov 2008 (Sunday) 02:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lighting for vehicle photo studio

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 12, 2008 01:11 |  #16

entrefoto wrote in post #6670121 (external link)
The problem is its a corporate environment where we have to move quickly to achieve certain objectives to sell cars. We cannot have the cars tied up in a studio very long so they can get on the lot and the photos can get online for our customers to see. Our objective is to get the cars in and out of photos asap so we need the best we can get. I would love to do a set up like i read about and have phenominal photos, but the fact of the matter is we are not shooting for the manufacturer. I would also love to be shooting with a 5D but the executives don't see it that way either. We have to try to keep costs low and still get good results.

A tripod won't slow you down, it'll give you better pictures, using cheaper constant lights with exposures of a few seconds instead of a fraction of a second. The difference of 5 seconds per car isn't really that important i'd have thought.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 12, 2008 13:56 |  #17

If it were me, I'd buy two or three white sheets, pin them together and hang them horizontally from the ceiling. I'd point my lights up at the sheets or hang them between the ceiling and sheets to create a light soft overhead light source.

For the interior shots I'd use two 4' x8' pieces of white foamcore just outside the car and bounce lights off of them. This will create a nice soft light for the interior.

Total expenditure for the sheets and foamcore should be under $100.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 12, 2008 15:36 |  #18

Ever heard of Zappos?

They are an online retailer best known for shoes. The largest internet shoe store in the world.

They have an automated "studio" where one shooter can literally shoot over 100 pairs a day without breaking a sweat.

You need something like that.

Tim has given you excellent advice. What you are talking about is basically shooting 15 cars a day, or one every half hour. If the space is appropriately prepared, that's not a problem.

You just need the right system.

I don't think you are going to get these things looking like they came out of a white box, so some creativity is in order.

Can you post some shots of the space that we can look at?

This space for rent.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 12, 2008 17:27 |  #19

I'd have thought you could do a LOT more than one car every 30 minutes. Park it, a few snaps, gone again in 5-10 mins.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 12, 2008 17:38 |  #20

I think he needs the interiors and exteriors in that time. Once everything is set, I think you could do the exteriors in your time frame easily.

This space for rent.

disboifan
483 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 12, 2008 19:22 |  #21

sounds like you're trying to get studio shots while trying to shoot all the cars on the lot in one day. on camera flash to fill in a car?

flickr (external link)
www.danhphan.com (external link)

entrefoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
970 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 12, 2008 22:05 as a reply to  @ disboifan's post |  #22

I cannot supply pictures of the space as I am in Indiana and the space is in Iowa. I will not be back out that way until the 20th. I do certainly appreciate everyone's help! I need 21 photos of each car for our normal website and around 70-100 for cars going on ebay. We will have a speedlite on the camera for fill inside the cars. we are trying to get the best possible photos while moving the cars fast so they can get on the lot and have a chance to be sold.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This is a photo from an ebay dealer in Texas. They have their "studio" set up in an old hockey rink they operate out of. The space we have to work with looks similar to this and right now we are favoring this kind of light set up. Do you all think this is a good set up or how we can take this and improve it?

Thanks!

6D | 35mm f/2 IS USM | 200mm f/2.8 L II | Lensbaby Spark | 430EX II | MacBook Pro | Lightroom 4 | Lowepro Flipside Sport | pelican 1514

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 13, 2008 08:00 |  #23

Just to be sure I'm reading this right -- you need 70-100 photos of EACH car for ebay? Where do you host them? Outside of Ebay?

This space for rent.

entrefoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
970 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 13, 2008 19:25 as a reply to  @ mattograph's post |  #24

Yes 70-100 photos of each car for ebay. They are hosted on our own servers or through ebay depending on which method our sales associates use for ebay. Ebay will allow up to 100 photos themselves by using their dealer center listing tool.

6D | 35mm f/2 IS USM | 200mm f/2.8 L II | Lensbaby Spark | 430EX II | MacBook Pro | Lightroom 4 | Lowepro Flipside Sport | pelican 1514

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 13, 2008 19:28 |  #25

It's an aside, but how could you possibly need 100 photos for each car?

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 13, 2008 19:53 |  #26

entrefoto wrote in post #6676563 (external link)
I cannot supply pictures of the space as I am in Indiana and the space is in Iowa. I will not be back out that way until the 20th. I do certainly appreciate everyone's help! I need 21 photos of each car for our normal website and around 70-100 for cars going on ebay. We will have a speedlite on the camera for fill inside the cars. we are trying to get the best possible photos while moving the cars fast so they can get on the lot and have a chance to be sold.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This is a photo from an ebay dealer in Texas. They have their "studio" set up in an old hockey rink they operate out of. The space we have to work with looks similar to this and right now we are favoring this kind of light set up. Do you all think this is a good set up or how we can take this and improve it?

Thanks!

Sure, this works.

Can you show us pics of the space you have to work with?

This space for rent.

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 14, 2008 11:59 |  #27

tim wrote in post #6682043 (external link)

One photo for each scratch and dent? LOL

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 14, 2008 12:47 |  #28

entrefoto wrote in post #6669129 (external link)
Here are some examples of what we do. The first link is one of our Indiana stores where we do the photos outside. The second link is to one of our Iowa stores who prefers inside and this is their old set up which is pretty worthless and we are working to correct.

http://www.lujack.com …s=true&include-media=true (external link)

Mark,

I live in the Quad Cities and we bought our Lexus at Lujack. Please be careful that whatever you do doesn't cost so much that they have to raise the price of their cars. ;)

Blane
Gear List

entrefoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
970 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 14, 2008 15:40 |  #29

BTBeilke wrote in post #6686506 (external link)
Mark,

I live in the Quad Cities and we bought our Lexus at Lujack. Please be careful that whatever you do doesn't cost so much that they have to raise the price of their cars. ;)

Haha, I don't think we have to worry about that at all! I just started working with Lujack's and they are great people and we are going for a very cost effective way for this. Thanks for writing! I hope you are enjoying your Lexus!

entrefoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
970 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 14, 2008 15:42 |  #30

tim wrote in post #6682043 (external link)

For Ebay you literally have to show every flaw the car has so the buyer knows exactly what to expect when they purchase the vehicle since they can't see it in person before purchasing. Photos include every angle of outside, inside, close ups of all lights, mirrors, options, scratches, dents, seat wear, engine, trunk, all that stuff.

sponsored links

3,160 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lighting for vehicle photo studio
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.