Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Nov 2008 (Friday) 00:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G10: SanDisk Ultra II 15mb/sec vs. Extreme III 20mb/sec vs. Extreme III 30mb/sec

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 14, 2008 00:04 |  #1

I am shooting RAW+JPG and have Extreme III 20mb/sec.

I am trying to see would I get any benefit in speed by going to 30mb/sec edition or would I lose any speed by going to Ultra II 15mb/sec.

Therefore I am wondering did anyone have a chance to compare speed of G10's writing between these?

Thank you in advance!

sponsored links
Piet
295 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 14, 2008 05:50 |  #2

ZoranC wrote in post #6683407 (external link)

I am trying to see would I get any benefit in speed by going to 30mb/sec edition or would I lose any speed by going to Ultra II 15mb/sec.

Therefore I am wondering did anyone have a chance to compare speed of G10's writing between these?

Thank you in advance!

Based on my G9 i can say that even the "slowest" of the 3 types is fast enough for the camera.
You'll gain the speed benefit only if you copy your pictures via a card reader.

Regards,
Piet

ef2
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 14, 2008 07:50 |  #3

My friend went from an Ultra II on an SD1000 (7MP) to an Extreme III 20mb/sec on the G10 (15MP) and he says it is noticeably faster transferring with a reader, and that's just a 5mb/sec difference. Nothing scientific though.

5D Mk III
Canon 580EX
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24mm f/3.5L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm f/2.0 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 135mm f/2.8 SF | 70-200mm [COLOR=black]f/2.8L IS | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX

Aweitzel
412 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 14, 2008 08:23 |  #4

Are you talking about write speed from the g9 to the card, or card to your computer?

g9, 40d,28-135 kit, 55-250, 430EX, t-50( Yes its film.)
http://www.aweitzelpho​tography.com/ (external link)

ZoranC
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 14, 2008 19:54 |  #5

Piet wrote in post #6684174 (external link)
Based on my G9 i can say that even the "slowest" of the 3 types is fast enough for the camera.

I don't think we can make that assumption based on G9. Manufacturer can change the pipeline between models. Otherwise all cameras would be writing with same speed and timing would depend solely on megapixels and card's write speed, which is not the case.

ZoranC
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 14, 2008 19:57 |  #6

ef2 wrote in post #6684574 (external link)
My friend went from an Ultra II on an SD1000 (7MP) to an Extreme III 20mb/sec on the G10 (15MP) and he says it is noticeably faster transferring with a reader, and that's just a 5mb/sec difference. Nothing scientific though.

I am talking about speed camera is writing to card. In other words how many say continous RAW+JPG shots I can make in a minute.

ZoranC
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 14, 2008 19:58 |  #7

Aweitzel wrote in post #6684708 (external link)
Are you talking about write speed from the g9 to the card, or card to your computer?

I am talking about write speed from my _G10_ to the card.

Mike16610
259 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 15, 2008 02:50 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

ZoranC wrote in post #6683407 (external link)

Thank you in advance!

Does anyone know how fast the G10 is capable of writing to the card in the first place? Seems like I read somewhere that the G9 camera can’t write to the extreme II cards as fast as the cards could be written to. In other words the camera was the slow part of that equation. But can the G10 with it’s new and improved processor write to the card faster? I went to the Canon website but couldn’t find the spec for writing speed. If we could get this number it would answer your question. I’d really like to know as well.

Aweitzel
412 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 15, 2008 09:32 |  #9

I dont know how to post links to threads, search this thread "SD memory card dilemma"
its for the g9, but i think it would help you with your question.

g9, 40d,28-135 kit, 55-250, 430EX, t-50( Yes its film.)
http://www.aweitzelpho​tography.com/ (external link)

NJdez
292 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 15, 2008 12:44 |  #10

Aweitzel wrote in post #6691718 (external link)
I dont know how to post links to threads, search this thread "SD memory card dilemma"

just copy and paste the link...

Flickr Photostream (external link)
My Video & Photo Work: www.AbstractPhotog.com (external link)

Piet
295 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 15, 2008 13:52 |  #11

ZoranC wrote in post #6688933 (external link)
I don't think we can make that assumption based on G9. Manufacturer can change the pipeline between models. Otherwise all cameras would be writing with same speed and timing would depend solely on megapixels and card's write speed, which is not the case.

As the G10 with it's slightly more megapixels (and even with the faster DIGI 4) is slightly slower in continous shooting, i can't see more output of data on the internal bus directed to the memory card.
But this is just an assumption... ;)

Regards,
Piet

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 15, 2008 15:12 |  #12

I just switched to the G10 from the G9 and the write speed is defintively slower with the G10 - seems no matter what card I am using.

ZoranC
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2008 20:51 |  #13

5Dmaniac wrote in post #6693066 (external link)
I just switched to the G10 from the G9 and the write speed is defintively slower with the G10 - seems no matter what card I am using.

Thank you and everyone else that contributed!

ZoranC
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2008 20:52 |  #14

As it seems that there is no definitive answer I will be getting two 4GB cards in speeds I don't have and test myself.

ZoranC
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2008 21:23 |  #15

Aweitzel wrote in post #6691718 (external link)

I went and found that thread and unfortunately it is not answering anything.

sponsored links

5,975 views & 0 likes for this thread
G10: SanDisk Ultra II 15mb/sec vs. Extreme III 20mb/sec vs. Extreme III 30mb/sec
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.