Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Nov 2008 (Friday) 14:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

UK Bound!! Lens options...?

EdBray
646 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 15, 2008 14:05 |  #16

Daylight hours in Devon at the moment are about 7.30am to 4.30pm, The weather has been poor the last few days but when the sun manages to break through we have had some awesome skies,

Enjoy your trip,and I am sure you will have a great time.

Canon EOS 5DMkII, Canon EOS 10D, Canon EF17-40L, Canon EF24L TS-E MkII, Canon 24-105L IS, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon EF 1.4x Extender MkII. Hasselblad 503CX, Hasselblad 500CM, Carl Zeiss 40mm, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm, 250mm For my epitaph: Do not let my wife sell any of my kit for what I've told her I paid for it! My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
madhatter04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 15, 2008 14:21 |  #17

Thanks, everyone!
Again, I'm really looking forward to the visit. Hopefully this will start an international traveling pattern!

Yeah, I'd personally prefer a much less busy itinerary, but my best friend wants to squeeze in as much as possible (we're ending it with 5 nights in London, so that'll be the only 'rest' aside from the train rides). I'm the one who's kind of just along for the ride.

EDIT: OH, I'm considering attending a British university for 3d animation and effects after I get my BFA here, so it will be nice to scout the area out a bit! :)

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 15, 2008 14:59 |  #18

foxbat wrote in post #6692437 (external link)
Bring a tripod. It will be cold, wet and dark over here. Wales and Scotland should give you some nice landscape opportunities.

Exactly what I was thinking. Wide aperture and weather sealing for a UK winter.

Mark.

sa_20v
47 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 15, 2008 15:17 |  #19

I'd recommend comparing prices of said equipment in the UK - the GBP has fallen massively against the USD and looks set to fall further this month - you might find bargains here.

Jessops.co.uk are the major photography equipment chains over here - not the cheapest by a long way, but should give you enough information to make a comparison. :)

foxbat
Goldmember
2,429 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 15, 2008 15:27 |  #20

Also, our railways do not take you out to the best scenic areas. It would be worthwhile hiring a car on a daily rate in Scotland/Wales and driving out to the countryside. www.easycar.com (external link) usually have good rates if you book in advance.

Andy Brown; South-east England. Canon, Sigma, Leica, Zeiss all on Canon DSLRs. My hacking blog (external link).

KarlosDaJackal
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 15, 2008 16:07 |  #21

foxbat wrote in post #6693130 (external link)
Also, our railways do not take you out to the best scenic areas. It would be worthwhile hiring a car on a daily rate in Scotland/Wales and driving out to the countryside. www.easycar.com (external link) usually have good rates if you book in advance.

If you do that remember to drive on the wrong side of the road please ;)

My Website (external link) - Flick (external link)r (external link) - Model Mayhem (external link) - Folio32 (external link)
Gimp Tutorials by me on POTN
Gear List

SMA
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 15, 2008 16:10 |  #22

saxk wrote in post #6692803 (external link)
shaftsybury ??????????????

It's about an hour up the road from you :lol:

madhatter04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 15, 2008 16:25 |  #23

foxbat wrote in post #6693130 (external link)

Thanks! That's useful and helpful information! :)

Um, anyone else for the Sigma vs Sigma vs Canon vs other category? :lol:

www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 15, 2008 17:20 as a reply to  @ madhatter04's post |  #24

foxbat wrote in post #6692437 (external link)
Bring a tripod. It will be cold, wet and dark over here. Wales and Scotland should give you some nice landscape opportunities.

It is likely to be gray and wet , not too cold most of the time - but a tripod is a real PITA to travel with - I'd just crank up the iso as needed. Remember in cities and any place there are lots of people tripods cause an obstruction, and you'll get some slob pulling your gear over by walking into it, or attract rentacop attention. Especially in London.

The UK is a small, crowded place - travel takes a fair bit longer than you would expect. And as far as car rental goes, if you need an automatic you need to specify and book longer in advance - stick shifts are the norm here. they are much more fun in traffic jams, you see...( sarcasm!)

As far as lenses go, you'll need the same as you would any where else. If your heart is set on an f/2.8 zoom, I'd look at any of the 16/17/18-50/55 f/2.8 offerings - that 24-60mm lens is a nice enough one, but it's a bit long to start with and a bit short to end with, for my tastes anyway.

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

Treat ­ me ­ like ­ a ­ tourist
Goldmember
1,614 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 15, 2008 18:13 |  #25

The light will not be fantastic- the problem is that its not just the speed of the lens that will dictate how good your images but also the type of glass. I have found that the 17-40 allows significant alteration to images without degradation- significantly better than my 10-22. I would advise you to take a tripod- handheld is difficult outside of the good light hours- leaning on a tripod will allow you to use lower iso speeds.
I think you will need something wide, but not ultra wide- our streets can be quite tight, you might need an extra zoom than what you have on your tok.

Facebook (external link)
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

saxk
184 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 15, 2008 18:15 |  #26

SMA wrote in post #6693365 (external link)
It's about an hour up the road from you :lol:

i know, i was wondering why anyone would go there lol

id make a list here but it'd look silly as its to small.

madhatter04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 15, 2008 18:19 |  #27

saxk wrote in post #6693925 (external link)
i know, i was wondering why anyone would go there lol

LOL I'm not sure. I think my friend wants to visit "Golden Hill."

I'm definitely not going to bring a tripod with me as the goal is to travel as lightly as possible. I don't mind using higher ISO speeds as this is not going to really be a photo vacation... more like a chance to experience the UK and bask in the glory of being in another country.

saxk
184 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 15, 2008 19:12 |  #28

good idea mate, enjoy it for what it is, dont spend the entire time looking through a view finder

id make a list here but it'd look silly as its to small.

madhatter04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 16, 2008 00:40 |  #29

saxk wrote in post #6694165 (external link)
good idea mate, enjoy it for what it is, dont spend the entire time looking through a view finder

Cheers! I tend to not be much of an avid photographer while I'm traveling... I enjoy documenting our travels but I wouldn't set up a tripod and take macros of ice crystals in Canterbury by any means! ;)

madhatter04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 16, 2008 17:23 |  #30

So I do believe I'm about to settle on the Canon 35mm f/2 due to my love of primes and the fact my 3 lens travel kit would be small and light (12-24 tokina, 35 f/2, and 50 f/1.4)... thanks to all who answered! Pics will be posted sometime in mid-January!
.... still considering the Sigma 24-60 though if anyone has anything to add...

sponsored links

3,144 views & 0 likes for this thread
UK Bound!! Lens options...?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.