Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Nov 2008 (Sunday) 08:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Watermarking/Copyright

1downfall
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 16, 2008 08:40 |  #1

ok. So my lovely wife asks me.....are you going to put that watermark on all your shots? I say, sure, they are mine. I created/shot them.
So, she says, that would look funny if Sears or JCPenny's put there logo on a family portrait, don't you think?.......errrrrr, i conceded.
So, how do you copyright your photos online...and for print?
Can you print your copyright on the back?
Lastly, If I put the copyright symbol on my pics, does it really, legally, do anything? ty all.

Bill (external link)
Flickr (external link) My Gear
http://www.facebook.co​m …y/1428819857394​49?ref=sgm (external link)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 16, 2008 08:51 |  #2

I put my url on my webbies. I don't put anything on my prints. My lab prints my studio name and the filename on the back of enlargements for me.

If people will steal, they're gonna steal. Look at all the myspace profiles with big bold "PROOF - DO NOT COPY" smack dab in the center of the pics.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

1downfall
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 16, 2008 08:52 |  #3

cdifoto wrote in post #6697260 (external link)
I put my url on my webbies. I don't put anything on my prints. My lab prints my studio name and the filename on the back of enlargements for me.

Ok...i figured the printing on the back was right. What about the webbies. Does it legally hold if you say your images are C'rigtht protected?

also....cd...how do you link web pages that are in your sig? like Reflectors are a ect......I cannot for the life of me find this how to do tutorial. ty.

Bill (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 16, 2008 08:57 |  #4

Copyright is automatic. You don't have to state it outright. I mostly put my url on the webbies for shameless self-promotion & not a sense of protection. It also eliminates the "I couldn't contact the photographer!" defense some schmucks like to use.

For the forums it's different than traditional html.

You use Your Text (external link) without the spaces.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

1downfall
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 16, 2008 09:04 |  #5

cdifoto wrote in post #6697290 (external link)
Copyright is automatic. You don't have to state it outright. I mostly put my url on the webbies for shameless self-promotion & not a sense of protection. It also eliminates the "I couldn't contact the photographer!" defense some schmucks like to use.

For the forums it's different than traditional html.

You use Your Text (external link) without the spaces.

excellent! ty Cd for your help.;)

Bill (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 16, 2008 09:17 |  #6

My attitude to this is that if someone wants to copy the low res image from the web site, A. I cannot stop him and B. Hes getting junk anyway, not my high res original.

Another good reason not to upload high res images even if we could.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Trout ­ Bum
714 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 16, 2008 19:25 |  #7

[Lastly, If I put the copyright symbol on my pics, does it really, legally, do anything? ty all.[/QUOTE]

Re: copyright protection-- Previous post is correct, your work is copyrighted when you create it. HOWEVER, we know anything worthwhile posted on the web will be "borrowed", and if it's really good, it will be stolen. The bottom line, if you really want to be able to take someone to court for stealing your work, it must have been registered with the U.S. govt. If you tried to bring legal action without having a registered copyright, (I have been told by good authority) no judge will bother with the case. It's simply to much too trouble to determine who created what, when and where, without that legal foundation.

It isn't quite the hassle one might expect to register, as one can combine "related" images under a single ©, but I've never done it. My work isn't that popular... :)

Mark
photography website (external link)
fine art website (external link)
youtube channel (external link)
Instagram: @MarkMilleArt

1downfall
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 16, 2008 20:07 |  #8

hmmmm ty for the replies all. I can say as well...my work is not that popular so it really would not matter.
ty again!

Trout Bum wrote in post #6700102 (external link)
[Lastly, If I put the copyright symbol on my pics, does it really, legally, do anything? ty all.

Re: copyright protection-- Previous post is correct, your work is copyrighted when you create it. HOWEVER, we know anything worthwhile posted on the web will be "borrowed", and if it's really good, it will be stolen. The bottom line, if you really want to be able to take someone to court for stealing your work, it must have been registered with the U.S. govt. If you tried to bring legal action without having a registered copyright, (I have been told by good authority) no judge will bother with the case. It's simply to much too trouble to determine who created what, when and where, without that legal foundation.

It isn't quite the hassle one might expect to register, as one can combine "related" images under a single ©, but I've never done it. My work isn't that popular... :)

Bill (external link)

iof
428 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Nov 16, 2008 21:17 |  #9

Since I am currently involved with a copyright infringement case, I will share my understanding.
Copyright registration does not affect your ability to sue for infringement. It only affects the amount of damages should you win.
Without registration, you may recover your actual damages; the amount of profit you lost(the infringer made). You pay your own legal expenses, which in many cases may far exceed actual damages.
If the copyright is registered prior to infringement, you may recover statutory damages, which can be quite substantial. See http://en.wikipedia.or​g …or_copyright_in​fringement (external link) You might also recover all your legal expenses(loser pays).
imo, the copyright notice only tends to keep honest people honest by clearly indentifying your photo as not being in the public domain.

Ron.
5D,20D, D60, Elan 7, Canon stuff from the 70's, Pentax stuff from the 60's, other stuff.

1downfall
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2008 06:20 |  #10

iof wrote in post #6700760 (external link)
Since I am currently involved with a copyright infringement case, I will share my understanding.
Copyright registration does not affect your ability to sue for infringement. It only affects the amount of damages should you win.
Without registration, you may recover your actual damages; the amount of profit you lost(the infringer made). You pay your own legal expenses, which in many cases may far exceed actual damages.
If the copyright is registered prior to infringement, you may recover statutory damages, which can be quite substantial. See http://en.wikipedia.or​g …or_copyright_in​fringement (external link) You might also recover all your legal expenses(loser pays).
imo, the copyright notice only tends to keep honest people honest by clearly indentifying your photo as not being in the public domain.

ty for your insight. Hope your situation works out for the best! So, on this account, did you register your copyrights? I guess most only do so if they are actually selling?

Bill (external link)

gmitchel850
279 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 17, 2008 07:29 |  #11

Copyright infringement is generally viable only against someone who is wholesale stealing your work and selling it. Especially if you are an individual artist.

Corporations have legal staff, and they can choose to use them to threaten people with injunctions and lawsuits to get images removed from Web sites, etc. Individuals, unless they are wealthy and want to spend a lot of money on legal fees, simply cannot afford to be going after individuals who take minor copyright liberties.

In theory, you should prevail. Winning a lawsuit is one thing. It is another to recover. Especially when they do not even defend and you get a default judgment. You have no discovery to aid you in determining if they have any finanacial resources worth going after. IOW, it is one thing to win a judgment, it is another thing to enforce it.

Web images are different from print images. You can add copyright details to the metadata without affecting the image. You can add embossed copyright details. That's quite common among photography studios. I have a tip and aa tutorial that describes how.

http://www.thelightsri​ght.com/EmbossedCopyri​ghtInfo (external link)
http://www.thelightsri​ght.com …arkingYourImage​sForTheWeb (external link)

Cheers,

Mitch

http://www.thelightsri​ght.com (external link)
http://www.thelightsri​ghtstudio.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,389 views & 0 likes for this thread
Watermarking/Copyright
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.