Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Nov 2008 (Monday) 04:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF-S 10-22mm or Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sa_20v
47 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 17, 2008 04:23 |  #1

Despite reading all the reviews, I just can't make my mind up between these two lenses, and I'll need a UWA lens when I head off to NYC in a fortnight. So POTN community, which one would you buy and why? :)

sponsored links
TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 17, 2008 05:52 |  #2

https://photography-on-the.net …398&highlight=1​0-22+11-16

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

Chrisku13
56 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 17, 2008 05:58 |  #3

This is a decision I will be making in the future as well, so I can sympathize with how you are probably feeling. By reading reviews and searching on here and other forums, it seems like you can't go wrong with either lens. They both seem to have many happy owners. I am leaning more towards the Tokina 11-16, because even though it is more limited in range, you gotta love that f2.8. I'm a big fan of primes, so if I think of it as an ultra-wide angle prime with the added benefit of a few other focal lengths, I think I'll be content.

sa_20v
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 17, 2008 06:24 |  #4

I doubt I'll be using the lens much inside so the Canon could be the one for me, I think the extra 10mm could come in handy as I enjoy architecture. However, night scenes, hand held the 2.8 could come into its own. Why oh why can't there be a 10-22 2.8! :D

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 17, 2008 10:50 |  #5

I don't know where you are but if your in the USA, Amazon has a 30 day return policy. Buy both, try them both out and return the one you don't like.

Ade ­ H
598 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 17, 2008 10:54 |  #6

.....which one would you buy and why?

What I would buy and why may not have much bearing on what you would buy and why, but if it helps, here's my two pence. I can find nothing about the Canon that justifies up to £100 more with the possible exception of (a) reportedly better resistance to flare and (b) faster focussing (though the Tokinas are usually described as very good for "regular" lenses). This is the only focal length in which fast focussing is not very important to me, so that leaves the flare resistance. 11mm is wide enough; 16mm is long enough. So all things considered, I'm still leaning strongly towards the Tokina, though I'm waiting now to see where prices go if and when the pound recovers a little, the Tamron 10-24 arrives and provides more competition, Tokina improves availability, and/or sales dip further. I have a hunch that the price here may drop a bit soon as a result of all that.

maxxjr
34 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 17, 2008 13:31 |  #7

sa_20v wrote in post #6702420 (external link)
Despite reading all the reviews, I just can't make my mind up between these two lenses, and I'll need a UWA lens when I head off to NYC in a fortnight. So POTN community, which one would you buy and why? :)

The 11-16 was not available when I bought the 10-22. If I had to do it again, I would still go with the Canon for the USM + added range.

My experience/$0.02:

On many trips, hiking and other, I have found that I am able to leave the 10-22 on the camera most of the time. There were instances where I wish the 22mm were a little longer, but 22mm was "good enough". I was able to get the photo without having to stop and swap lenses--the time savings is nice when either trying to keep up with a group or having other time constraints--and not having the "hassle" of frequent lens changes is nice, too.

With a more limited range such as the 11-16, I would have had to do more lens swaps between this and something longer, or just skip some photos altogether. For me, I find that I enjoy trips more if I spend more time watching the scenery (and taking pics) instead of fussing with lenses.

The added range on the long end is more important to me than the f2.8 aperture.

sa_20v
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 17, 2008 13:40 |  #8

This is the hardest decision I've made regarding photographic equipment - I've spent the afternoon sifting through the relevant lens 'pools' on Flickr, with my thoughts swinging one way and then the next!

At this time I'm tempted with the 10-22 - but any more suggestions/view points will be very much welcomed - I aim to order tomorrow AM.

Jesse ­ Webb
904 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2008 13:42 as a reply to  @ maxxjr's post |  #9

I think it depends on you lens line-up and preference. For me the f/2.8 won out over the reach, partially because I have 2 other lenses that start at 17 & 18mm and I love fast glass. You can't go wrong either way, try both if you can.

jessewebbphotography.c​om (external link)
Leica M9 | CV 35/1.2 II | 90 Summicron

Jethro790
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 17, 2008 13:47 |  #10

sa_20v wrote in post #6702672 (external link)
I doubt I'll be using the lens much inside so the Canon could be the one for me, I think the extra 10mm could come in handy as I enjoy architecture. However, night scenes, hand held the 2.8 could come into its own. Why oh why can't there be a 10-22 2.8! :D

You must keep in mind that on an ultra-wide there is less of a need to have ultra fast optics. First of all, isolating your subject using depth of field isn't really going to happen much. Second, an UWA lens draws more light by the nature of the beast. I take indoor photos with my 10-22 all the time, it's not at all like taking photos at 70mm or something. Third, you'll be able to handhold this lens most all the time, so a 2.8 aperture doesn't really help you there.

What I am trying to say is that I was worried the 10-22 would be too slow for me as well, but it never is. That said, judging from the feedback I have seen you can't go wrong with either lens.

If you must know...

JDubya
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 17, 2008 14:36 as a reply to  @ Jesse Webb's post |  #11

I have the 10-22 and it's a great lens. For me, range was more important than f/2.8. You can always compensate for a slower lens but you can't always compensate for lack of focal length. Also, don't let the EF-S factor stop you. You can replace the 'back cover' with an EF version and use it on a D60, 10D or even a full frame camera from 14MM+ (it would work at 13mm but there is still some vignetting--it's gone by 14mm)*.

*Assessment based off an EOS Elan

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 17, 2008 14:50 |  #12

maxxjr wrote in post #6704971 (external link)
The added range on the long end is more important to me than the f2.8 aperture.

I agree. One of the things I really like about the 10-22 is the range. You can go from super wide to normal so its very versatile. Personally I found 11-16 too limited.

Ade ­ H
598 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 17, 2008 14:53 |  #13

Although it's obviously a headline feature, I don't see the wide and constant aperture as the primary reason for choosing the Tokina over any other UWA. I lot of people seem to focus on it. The Tokina just presents a more attractive all-round package than the more expensive (much more when you add the hood) Canon.

dino8031
845 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 17, 2008 16:31 as a reply to  @ Ade H's post |  #14

Another vote for the 10-22, although I've never played with an 11-16.
To me the extra range is extremely useful and the IQ of the lens is phenomenal. I'd feel very limited with just the 11-16 range.

I shoot wide a lot and I absolutely love this lens.

ProjektSol
493 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 17, 2008 16:45 |  #15

im stuck between these 2 also..

flickr: rtranphotographyexternal link
Facebook Page: rtranphotographyexternal link
Instagram: rtranphotographyexternal link
500PX: rtranphotographyexternal link

sponsored links

10,502 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF-S 10-22mm or Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.