Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Nov 2008 (Sunday) 16:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom Studio Lights

smakelijk11
237 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2008 16:52 |  #1

Hi there,

I am completely new to this forum and I hope someone can help me out. I want to get my photography business going, but really don't have a lot of money. I have acquired a camera, a backup, and off camera flash and a couple of lenses. I focus mostly on weddings, but have done the portrait job here and there. When I do weddings, I usually just rent what I need for the job. For portraits, I have done some work outside but am now looking into studio lighting. I have been entranced by Elinchrom and am leaning towards them. Could I get some help and suggestions about their monolights? What exactly is the difference between the BX and the RX line? I'm in Canada, so the prices are a little bit higher I think than in the US. Am I better off to spend the extra money for the RX line? Also, I want to start making some money from this. So should I just get one light to do single person headshots and then if I get a contract to do groups, just rent the other light?

Any and all help would be useful... I have been picking the brains of people that work for Vistek here in Ottawa. But I think they are getting tired of seeing me in their store and not buying anything (I don't blame them).

Thanks a million

Shaun

Nikon D300, Nikon D80, SB-800, Nikkor 50 1.8, Nikkor 18-70 (Hope this won't be held against me :))
Canon Pixma i4300

sponsored links
Gaussian_Blur
86 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 16, 2008 19:39 |  #2

The RX strobes can be triggered and the power level controlled by the RX Skyport remotes. The BX is multi-voltage 115v-230v. Elinchrom will be introducing the BX Ri line soon that will also have RX Skyport capability without having to buy the receiver separately as you must for the RX strobes. B&H is still running the special package deal on two 600RX + RX Skyport transmitter + 2 RX Skyport receivers for $1649. A nice deal! :) I bought the package deal with the 300RX + 600RX + RX Skyports two months ago and could not be more pleased. Good Luck!

chestercopperpot
996 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 17, 2008 06:26 |  #3

when does the BX Ri line come out?

Michael
5D Mark III
16-35mm 2.8L II; 35mm 1.4L; 85 1.2L II; 70-200 2.8L IS II

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 17, 2008 06:52 |  #4

Well, one light won't really cut it for pro photography. You need at least 3-5 plus backgrounds, flags, stands and accessories.

It might be cheaper to drive to NYC and get your stuff there.

Personally, I'd go with the BX line because it will work in europe and I don't want to control all of my lights from a computer. That's just weird. BX is cheaper too.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

smakelijk11
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 17, 2008 07:08 |  #5

Thanks DocFrankenstein.. Well I do have an aunt in New York.. so maybe making the drive might be worth it. :-) I can't afford 3-5 lights for now... but maybe I could get 2 and then just rent when I need more. Would that work?

Nikon D300, Nikon D80, SB-800, Nikkor 50 1.8, Nikkor 18-70 (Hope this won't be held against me :))
Canon Pixma i4300

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 17, 2008 07:48 |  #6

smakelijk11 wrote in post #6702806 (external link)
Thanks DocFrankenstein.. Well I do have an aunt in New York.. so maybe making the drive might be worth it. :-) I can't afford 3-5 lights for now... but maybe I could get 2 and then just rent when I need more. Would that work?

Work for what?

Vistek rentals are not cheap, they rent chromes for 25 bucks a day and you also need accessories.

How much studio experience do you have? Can you make a saleable portrait?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 17, 2008 10:00 |  #7

I said this in another thread but I'll say it again, 4-5 strobes is the MINIMUM you should have if you're running a studio and charging people for sittings.

Elinchrom monos are excellent BTW. The RXs have brighter modelling lamps, a wider output range the ability to control the power from the skyport transmitter or a pc and slightly faster recycle times/shorter durations. If none of that is important to you, get the BXs.

hypertech
403 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 17, 2008 11:56 |  #8

I'm not sure if it would fit your need or not, but I just ordered a Genesis kit. My understanding is that they fit Elinchrom accessories.

So, if you need multiple lights and have a small budget, you could look at those to get you going and replace with more expensive models as cash becomes available.

Canon 5Dm2, 50D, XSi (450D), 580 EX IIx2
24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 18-55mm IS, Tokina 116
www.reflectivecanvas.c​om (external link)

smakelijk11
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 17, 2008 12:05 |  #9

I should probably correct myself. I'm not running a studio yet.. I'm planning on doing on-location photography. So, if a family wants portraits done, I will go to their house and set up the lights. I don't have much experience with studio lights, but I'm a fast learner. I'm not worried about not being able to make a salable portrait - people have told me that they are satisfied with my work. From what I understand, headshots can be done with one light and a reflector. You are completely right Doc Frankenstein, renting a light from Vistek isn't cheap.. That's the problem I'm facing LOL And I'm having an even harder time convincing my fiancee that I need these lights to start making money for the wedding. :-) Don't worry, I'm not asking for advice on that one.

Canon Pixma i4300

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,279 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 17, 2008 12:43 |  #10

I have 4 Elinchroms; 2 dlite4 and 2 dlite2. I'm very happy with them. I wouldn't mind another light for a spare, or kicker light, but that's a ways off.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

smakelijk11
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 17, 2008 14:00 |  #11

Thanks for all the help so far guys :-) This forum is fantastic.

Hawk911, would the Dlite-4 kit be good enough to start? I have heard that it isn't good enough for professional work? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shaun

Canon Pixma i4300

dragulaz
408 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 17, 2008 14:15 |  #12

smakelijk11 wrote in post #6705150 (external link)

Hawk911, would the Dlite-4 kit be good enough to start? I have heard that it isn't good enough for professional work? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shaun

I can't think of any reason why that would be the case. The dlite-4 is an outstanding light. The only thing you gain by moving up the Elinchrom line is more power, more features, and more durability. Light quality will not change much.

Bret
---------------
Canon EOS 5D, various lenses, Elinchrom studio lighting, and other "goodies"

evolved
338 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 17, 2008 14:38 |  #13

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #6702755 (external link)
Well, one light won't really cut it for pro photography. You need at least 3-5 plus backgrounds, flags, stands and accessories.

holy bad information. I guess all those fashion photogs who shoot with just one light are real amateurs. Or, how about guys like Zack Arias?

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,279 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 17, 2008 14:39 |  #14

smakelijk11 wrote in post #6705150 (external link)

Shaun

I dunno; look at my gallery for some examples. Any of the white BG shots use a D4 as a main light and in some a pair of d2s for BG and hair.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 17, 2008 14:46 |  #15

evolved wrote in post #6705399 (external link)
holy bad information. I guess all those fashion photogs who shoot with just one light are real amateurs. Or, how about guys like Zack Arias?

Do you think they all only own one light?

sponsored links

7,571 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elinchrom Studio Lights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.