Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 17 Nov 2008 (Monday) 09:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which photoshop version

GrahamS
50 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 17, 2008 09:22 |  #1

my post processing to date has been cropping. that's it. obviously to get the best results from my camera, a degree of post processing is necessary. i want to do the usual stuff everyone else does, colour correction, sharpening and a bit of object removal.

photoshop is very expensive for a home hobbyist. well at least the latest version is. What i am wondering is, is there a previous version, that is cheaper (much cheaper) than the current one, that has most of the functionality?

for instance ms office. 2000 had it all. 2003 was the same. 2007 has a tinsy bit more, but i know i can do everything i need with 2000.

is there a version of photoshop that has 'everything', and subsequent versions have just been prettier? which version is the office200 one?

and then the killer question, what would that version of photoshop give me, that gimp doesn't?;)

450D / 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS / Tamron 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 / 430EX II
now with 100-400L splendidness

sponsored links
Right ­ Cranium ­ Imaging
416 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 17, 2008 10:50 |  #2

Well this may not be what you want to hear, but the cheapest way to do it, would be to get it right in camera, crop, exposure and composition, then your necessary PP is minimal to none. That would be the cheapest way to go :) Other than that, probably Elements or if you can find someone selling a used copy of a previous version. I am selling my CS3 Design premium for $400.00 Not sure what your budget is, but if you are interested let me know. But like I said Elements would be your best bet. I think under $100.00 Good luck.

(Insert Over Used Photography Quote Here)
Canon Equipment - Mac Computers

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 17, 2008 10:50 |  #3

Frankly, your best bet is probably Photoshop Elements 7. It's the newest, so it has the newest features (such as a very simple image removal feature), it has most of the features of the full Photoshop that a hobbyist might use, and it's inexpensive -- less than $100 US. What it has over GIMP is ease of use.

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 17, 2008 11:01 |  #4

There's a certain amount of truth to what Cranium is saying here, but you have to decided just how much dark room work (PP) you really want to do.

Photoshop Elements is an excellent alternative to the full blown CS3 or CS4. Usually you can find it on sale for well under $100. There are also other alternatives that are cheaper and even free, but you basically get what you pay for.

If you are a student or somehow affiliated with education, you can usually get CS3 or CS4 for around $299.

But back to PP work - I always try to get things as close to a solid exposure, in camera, before any PP is done. But I also do wedding, event and a lot of fine art work which demands that I have maximum creative control and flexibility. I also shoot everything RAW, so ACR is my first stop in PP. My main toolbox is CS3, but my business can afford it. Even if I weren't shooting weddings though, I may still purchase it. Elements does have some pretty powerful features though itself.

Right Cranium Imaging wrote in post #6704017 (external link)
Well this may not be what you want to hear, but the cheapest way to do it, would be to get it right in camera, crop, exposure and composition, then your necessary PP is minimal to none. That would be the cheapest way to go :) Other than that, probably Elements or if you can find someone selling a used copy of a previous version. ......

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 17, 2008 12:12 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #5

Elements is selling here in the UK for slightly under £70 right now. I'd say it will be plenty to be getting on with without spending a fortune on CS4.

Older versions of CS can be found at more sensible prices, although they might still be more than you are willing to spend. I am still using PS v7 and theres nothing it cannot do.

But before you decide to spend anything, have a closer look at GIMP and Picassa. These are both free download post processing programmes. Yes, I did say free! One or other might tide you over until you have a better idea about what you might need in the future.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

GrahamS
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 17, 2008 12:29 |  #6

Right Cranium Imaging wrote in post #6704017 (external link)
Well this may not be what you want to hear, but the cheapest way to do it, would be to get it right in camera, crop, exposure and composition, then your necessary PP is minimal to none. That would be the cheapest way to go :) Other than that, probably Elements or if you can find someone selling a used copy of a previous version. I am selling my CS3 Design premium for $400.00 Not sure what your budget is, but if you are interested let me know. But like I said Elements would be your best bet. I think under $100.00 Good luck.

ohh I quite agree, it's what I had to do with film after all, and i don't plan on letting digital make me lazy, knowing I can tidy things later.

I went to a car show last week, and the indoor lighting was impossible to sort out (with my knowlege of the camera) - there was even a canon stand, and i was chatting to one of the reps about it.

then there is the problem of the photo looking ok on the camera, but rubbish on screen. particularly with bright sun light when you can't see much.

and of course object removal, a pylon ruining a landscape.

i do shoot raw, so i need to do something with the pictures

anyway.............

so elements it is. of course i will pay £ for it, not those funny $ things:lol::lol::lol:
thanks for the replies

450D / 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS / Tamron 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 / 430EX II
now with 100-400L splendidness

iof
428 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Nov 17, 2008 14:45 |  #7

Look on the bright side. Elements will only cost you a few pounds. Photoshop costs tons.

Ron.
5D,20D, D60, Elan 7, Canon stuff from the 70's, Pentax stuff from the 60's, other stuff.

Right ­ Cranium ­ Imaging
416 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 17, 2008 22:04 |  #8

iof wrote in post #6705446 (external link)
Look on the bright side. Elements will only cost you a few pounds. Photoshop costs tons.

Ha, funny pun :)

(Insert Over Used Photography Quote Here)
Canon Equipment - Mac Computers

greyswan
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 18, 2008 05:56 as a reply to  @ Right Cranium Imaging's post |  #9

If you can get your hands on Photoshop 7, it will do pretty much everything you need. It won't allow you to upgrade to CS versions, but you will find it quite easy to convert to CS3 if you want to later... there's not much of a learniing curve from PS 7 to CS3, just more tools. No Raw processing though.
You can do that from the camera software.

I have PS7 on my desktop at home, and use it for most of my processing except when I need some of the tools in CS3, laptop has CS3 and work has CS4, no probs with files interchanging.

I'm afraid I find PS elements very restrictive, but then I'm a graphic designer by trade, lol.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 18, 2008 07:20 |  #10

As others have said Elements is an excellent tool for the money. IF youwant a full blooded version, and can get hold of it, you might want to consider PS7. I was using it until just a short while ago, and only upgraded to CS3 because PS7 couldn't handle the RAW files from my 40D without converting them to DNG.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 19, 2008 09:34 |  #11

".......and only upgraded to CS3 because PS7 couldn't handle the RAW files from my 40D without converting them to DNG".

But Sorarse, that's why God gave us DPP.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

strmrdr
Goldmember
1,853 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 19, 2008 10:01 |  #12

Photoshop Elements 7
I have cs2 and recently got elements 7 from a client I am teaching to use it and find myself doing all of my edits in elements very rarely do I find something it wont do.
Add noise ninja and the free action for layer masks and it does everything most people really need.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Zoodles
284 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 19, 2008 15:30 |  #13

strmrdr wrote in post #6717676 (external link)
Photoshop Elements 7
I have cs2 and recently got elements 7 from a client I am teaching to use it and find myself doing all of my edits in elements very rarely do I find something it wont do.
Add noise ninja and the free action for layer masks and it does everything most people really need.

Where are the layer mask options found? :confused:
Thanks,

Howard
---------------
Canons: EOS Digitals (2) and oldAE-1 etc.; a bunch of lenses - some L-glass, some better than others; Manfrotto tripod w/488 ball-head; a few flashes + lots of other crap…

strmrdr
Goldmember
1,853 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 19, 2008 16:03 |  #14

Zoodles wrote in post #6720008 (external link)
Where are the layer mask options found? :confused:
Thanks,

http://graphicssoft.ab​out.com …ents/qt/layerma​sktool.htm (external link)

use the instructions for 6 but change the 6 to a 7 in the directory names.
ie: \7.0\Photo Creations\photo effects

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

strmrdr
Goldmember
1,853 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 19, 2008 16:10 |  #15

smart curves is really nice also
http://free.pages.at/e​asyfilter/curves.html (external link)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

sponsored links

2,201 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which photoshop version
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.