Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 14 Nov 2008 (Friday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Some Autocross samples, looking for comments

Stu ­ Scully
90 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 14, 2008 18:40 |  #1

I've been observing this forum for a good while and I figured I'd add a few samples for critiquing. These are from an state autocross. Some harsh sunlight (bright sun, no clouds) is what I had to deal with. The colors didn't come out the exact way I envisioned but I think that is a product of the light and my novice knowledge of post processing.

IMAGE: http://shaqdiesel.smugmug.com/photos/415321255_6uaLL-M-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://shaqdiesel.smugmug.com/photos/415322285_k9gsM-M-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://shaqdiesel.smugmug.com/photos/415321975_yMthF-M-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://shaqdiesel.smugmug.com/photos/415324023_mGWZ5-M-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://shaqdiesel.smugmug.com/photos/415331081_trpRW-M-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://shaqdiesel.smugmug.com/photos/415319616_gkftL-M-1.jpg

sponsored links
draagyn
68 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 14, 2008 19:03 |  #2

One thing I found important is to set the camera to manual so that I can have control over the exposure. I discovered that using Av or Tv made for inconsistencies in the overall image brightness depending on car color (example: black car giving very bright background vs white car giving a very dark background).

My Flickr (external link)

AzzA
830 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 15, 2008 01:46 |  #3

Wellcome Stu. Some good stuff there, I have shot some Autocross over here and it's not easy... cones, dodgy backgrounds, hi-vis jacketed marshals and sometimes it's difficult to show whats going on... race tracks are easier. However I think you've done well, some good motion. What settings were you using?

Canon EOS 40D x2 (Sold both 20D and 30D :cry:) & Canon EOS 7D
Canon 100-400 L, Canon 24-105 F4 L, Canon 50 F1.8 & Sigma 10-20. Would like 70-200 L F2.8 IS...
www.AE-Photography.co.uk (external link) :eek: www.MotorsportPhotos.n​et (external link) :cool: www.MotorsportVideos.n​et (external link) ;)
http://www.facebook.co​m/AEPhotographyUK/ (external link) :rolleyes:
http://www.twitter.com​/Az_Edwards/ (external link) :rolleyes:

Stu ­ Scully
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 15, 2008 07:48 |  #4

AzzA wrote in post #6690721 (external link)
Wellcome Stu. Some good stuff there, I have shot some Autocross over here and it's not easy... cones, dodgy backgrounds, hi-vis jacketed marshals and sometimes it's difficult to show whats going on... race tracks are easier. However I think you've done well, some good motion. What settings were you using?

I didn't realize the exif data wasn't viewable. I was experimenting with low shutter speeds. For all but the last one the shutter speed was 1/50. The last one I went with a more conservative 1/125.

I've been to a number of autocrosses (photographing some of them and participating in the others) and you're right about getting a good composition (in the traditional sense). When I first starting shooting them I did an experiment shooting around 1/300 and the only ones that were really worth talking about where the hard cornering shots that involved a car lifting a wheel.

The general areas where they autocross around here do not have an allotment of good backgrounds. Also, as you said, trying to tell a story with these types of environments is very hard. I'm beginning to feel that the only way to do this is to get on a man lift and shoot it like a R/C track where you catch the car with the course as the background (but would kinda degrade the main subject, the cars). I've gotten to the point where I do try to use the cones to tell the story. At least it helps differentiate an autocross from a bunch of people playing in a parking lot... Oh, wait... :D

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 15, 2008 16:14 as a reply to  @ Stu Scully's post |  #5

Hi guys,
Just a quick question on terminology.
Was this event over a series of short courses where each driver manouveres between and around cones and finishes in a "garage" and tests things like reversing ability etc?
The reason I ask is that if it is, it's what we call a motorkhana in Australia.
Regards
Phil

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Stu ­ Scully
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 15, 2008 16:42 |  #6

philwillmedia wrote in post #6693380 (external link)
Hi guys,
Just a quick question on terminology.
Was this event over a series of short courses where each driver manouveres between and around cones and finishes in a "garage" and tests things like reversing ability etc?
The reason I ask is that if it is, it's what we call a motorkhana in Australia.
Regards
Phil

Not really. In the US, an autocross is a short course (~30-1:30 seconds) in which the driver starts at a "Starting Point and drives through a cone course to the "Finish".

You don't go into reverse unless you have lost control of the car. Also, depending on turnout there really is no "garage". Once you do you run you get back into "grid" (place where you wait to run again). Once you have done your preset number of runs you then park your car and often times you have to go help with the next group that is running (by course working or helping with timing, safety, etc.).

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 15, 2008 17:39 as a reply to  @ Stu Scully's post |  #7

Thanks Stu,
It does sound fairly similar to one of our motorkhana's which run in places like carparks etc whic I agree are difficult places to make look interesting.
The reason I asked is that I shoot the occasional one over here.
When I do I usually like to include some of the elements (cones, poles etc) to make it look a little bit more interesting and try to tell the story.
Here's a couple of pics from the last motorkhana I shot about 5 weeks ago

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

There's a whole lot more on my website.
Go to www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia/apps/photos (external link) and click on the Australian Motorkhana Championship album
Regards
Phil

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 15, 2008 17:47 |  #8

And a couple more
(sorry for the multiple post)
Can only put up two pics with each post

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

It's just a case of trying to be abit more creative and thinking outside the square a little

Regards
Phil

Regards, Phil

AzzA
830 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 16, 2008 02:02 |  #9

Stu Scully wrote in post #6691398 (external link)
At least it helps differentiate an autocross from a bunch of people playing in a parking lot... Oh, wait... :D

:lol:

It's not easy, but they do quite a few runs so just mix it up. Must say the first tim I shot I was a bit disappointed with my shots but the guys seemed to like them, also couple of the club members said they liked the "dodgy" backgrounds because like you say it shows what was going on. I suppose the "usual" rules of trying to get a clean shot don't always apply for everything :)

Canon EOS 40D x2 (Sold both 20D and 30D :cry:) & Canon EOS 7D
Canon 100-400 L, Canon 24-105 F4 L, Canon 50 F1.8 & Sigma 10-20. Would like 70-200 L F2.8 IS...
www.AE-Photography.co.uk (external link) :eek: www.MotorsportPhotos.n​et (external link) :cool: www.MotorsportVideos.n​et (external link) ;)
http://www.facebook.co​m/AEPhotographyUK/ (external link) :rolleyes:
http://www.twitter.com​/Az_Edwards/ (external link) :rolleyes:

JHew84
198 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 17, 2008 00:21 |  #10

The only thing I would change about your shots is that some of your captures have cones in front of the car, kind of a nit picky thing for me at least because my attention is always drawn right to the cone :p. Otherwise your panning technique is GREAT, cars are nice and sharp, I think you did an excellent job overall capturing the motion and keeping the car in focus. Also the one thing that took me a few events to learn is that moving around is a VERY good thing, but it looks like you did a fine job of that already. I would find a spot that I thought had a perfect vantage point and just not move, which makes for some very boring PP later that day haha.

phil, motorkhana's are similar to auto-x's but also very different. Motorkhana's have a lot more maneuvering involved and are frankly FAR more difficult than a typical auto-x. The states don't really have much of a following for motorkhana's which is unfortunate because they are extremely entertaining to watch and I'm sure are a blast to participate in! I think you got some great captures from the events you attended as well!

Stu ­ Scully
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 17, 2008 18:37 |  #11

JHew84 wrote in post #6701854 (external link)
The only thing I would change about your shots is that some of your captures have cones in front of the car, kind of a nit picky thing for me at least because my attention is always drawn right to the cone :p. Otherwise your panning technique is GREAT, cars are nice and sharp, I think you did an excellent job overall capturing the motion and keeping the car in focus. Also the one thing that took me a few events to learn is that moving around is a VERY good thing, but it looks like you did a fine job of that already. I would find a spot that I thought had a perfect vantage point and just not move, which makes for some very boring PP later that day haha.

phil, motorkhana's are similar to auto-x's but also very different. Motorkhana's have a lot more maneuvering involved and are frankly FAR more difficult than a typical auto-x. The states don't really have much of a following for motorkhana's which is unfortunate because they are extremely entertaining to watch and I'm sure are a blast to participate in! I think you got some great captures from the events you attended as well!

Thanks for the advice. Moving around definitely makes it interesting for the actual shooting and the PP.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 18, 2008 05:47 |  #12

Thanks for that Jhew
I wasn't sure how much difference there was but figured there were some differences and similarities - same thing but different, so to speak :-)
Stu, my apologies, I feel like I kind of hijacked your thread and going off on a tangent.
That wasn't my intention.
The pics are pretty neat. Good job with the panning and your colours look pretty OK to me.
It looks like there was a fair bit of reflection and glare off the surface of the car park, that never makes life easy.
I usually try to under-expose by about 1/2 a stop in that kind of situation.
I like the Open Wheeler that has taken out the cones and the opposite lock on the Evo X is pretty cool too. Shows pretty well what's going on.
All the others have covered just about anything else I could have added. Again apologies for hijacking your thread
Regards
Phil

Regards, Phil

Jamie ­ Holladay
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 18, 2008 11:39 |  #13

Stu welcome to POTN and thanks for sharing the shots. when I shoot AutoX I try to capture the cars where the cones are not between me and the car. Nice work. Keep it up.

The Site  (external link)The Gallery  (external link)The Gear (external link)

"If you really want something done, ask a busy person." Toms wife

Nothing is more Exhilarating than combining my two passions, the speed of a shutter, the speed of a car; What a Rush! ~ me

What stands between you and greatness sits between your ears, not in your camera bag. ~ John Thawley

You know I can't spell just sound it out. ~ me

lukeeesteve
116 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 19, 2008 06:47 as a reply to  @ Jamie Holladay's post |  #14

I would have loved to have seen action shots at different angles, head on, rear, rear quarter...your panning skills are excellent

---------------
Luke
Canon G9, Lensmate, Canon TC-DC58N (for sale), Raynox Macro 4x
XSi, Kit Lens, Nifty 50, Tokina 11-16mm, Canon 200mm f2.8, Canon 100-300 f5.6, 420EX, 420EZ....and growing

sponsored links

1,635 views & 0 likes for this thread
Some Autocross samples, looking for comments
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.