Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Oct 2008 (Monday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Old blacksmiths shop

acchildress
986 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 14, 2008 10:34 |  #16

I like this shot a lot. It looks like a good start on one of those "find the items" computer games.

Come be a big fish in a little pond, help build
theanswerjar.com  (external link)

sponsored links
ANDYSUDS
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 14, 2008 14:34 as a reply to  @ acchildress's post |  #17

Cant believe the replys i have got,all comments are taken on board.

Thanks....Andy

cmb64
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 07, 2008 15:52 as a reply to  @ ANDYSUDS's post |  #18

I really, really, really like this pic...well done you!

chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 08, 2008 10:39 |  #19

masayako wrote in post #6489387 (external link)
Cool, looks like one of those images from 1st person shooter PC games :)

Haha i was thinking the same thing, but more int he lines of an RPG.

Great shot!! Love looking at all the equipment and stuff in the shop.

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

baltawfiq
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 08, 2008 10:48 |  #20

Great tones. I like that you left a little bit of open space at the front, some breathing room - makes it feel crowded but not overfull, you can still walk around it with your eyes.

capt_tast
133 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 08, 2008 11:31 |  #21

Looks great exactly as it is.

Canon 50D (Thanks Mrs. Clause)/Canon XT/Sigma 50-150mm/Sigma 105mm Macro/Sigma 10-20mm UWA/Sigma 18-200/Canon nifty fifty/Lots of other goodies.

Al ­ Heline
35 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 17, 2008 17:27 |  #22

The vice is my only problem with it (as it was shot). No B&W here, and the sepia is already there sufficiently. Try cropping the left to eliminate the vice and notice that your eye no longer jumps around. Very nice shot.

Al
Canon 60D Meike gripped / Canon S5 IS - Canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM, Canon EFS 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6, Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6, 430 EX Speedlight

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 17, 2008 21:01 |  #23

It is "busy", but that's exactly what I think makes it.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 17, 2008 21:27 as a reply to  @ photoguy6405's post |  #24

The soft muted tones and almost mono color are what really brings this image to life -- I can almost feel the dusty environment. Don't change a thing.

mi_reefy wrote in post #6489231 (external link)
i love the scene..
and agree with Ryan about the b&w / sepia conversion ...

couldn't help myself.. hope u don't mind...

just a quick edit:

While technically a good demonstration of controlling tonal range, for me, it changed the mood of the scene from its warm feeling to an image of a dark old building without anything compelling to draw the viewer into the scene.

CannedHeat wrote in post #6490512 (external link)
Ditto! The tonality and soft color / tint are what makes this photo. BW would be too harsh and I think sepia would distract from some of the great, sharp detail.

Absolutely!

Walczak Photo wrote in post #6493756 (external link)
Just my own $.02 worth here....

Personally, I would NOT turn this into a black & white. The soft colors of this shot work perfect for it...any change in that regards would be a big mistake in my opinion. It could stand maybe a slight contrast boost, but I think that would be about it.

The one thing I would change about this composition is simply the angle it was shot in the room or possibly even just the crop. First, having that vice there in the foreground on the left side there is distracting to me. Also having the forge that close to center feels a little awkward. In my mind at least, while this shot is about the over-all look and feel of the room, the forge is really the anchor if you will, so I would have put it further to the left in the composition (rule of thirds).

To be honest here, I think I might have moved around this room a little more and tried shooting it from a few different angles. Again I love the over all feel and the soft saturation but to me there is a lack of symmetry or something here that throws the shot off a bit.

Again just my $.02,
Jim

Agree except about the vice. It is in sharp focus and I feel that it really does a great job of giving depth perception to the image even though it is just a supporting element on the periphery. Additionally, it does not compete to become the center of attention-- it just helps bring the viewer into the scene almost as if just walking past it.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

1shot4u
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 24, 2008 17:23 |  #25

Awesome shot..love it

Stephen Shell
Canon G12.

neumanns
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 24, 2008 19:36 |  #26

Throw a vignette on it and call it a day...Filter > distort>lens correction, (-100,+50)

7D, Sigma 8-16, 17-55, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580ExII, ........Searching for Talent & Skill; Will settle for Blind Luck!

sponsored links

1,728 views & 0 likes for this thread
Old blacksmiths shop
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.