Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 14 Nov 2008 (Friday) 22:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why Does My A710 IS Keep Thinking My Batteries Are Low When They're Not ?

CameraLens
414 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 14, 2008 22:07 |  #1

I've used Powerex 2700 mAH NiMH AA rechargeables for the last 2 years and they've always worked great on this camera. Lately, it seems like no matter what I do, the camera flashes the red battery low after only about 5 minutes of use.

I've recharged the batteries and tried different batteries fresh off the charger and keep having the same problem. I checked the batteries with a volt meter and they all show 1.3+ volts which is good for NiMH rechargeables. I tried removing the batteries and the lithium watch battery for 1 minute, putting 'em back in, and formatting the memory card, and still no luck.

The camera just suddenly started doing this recently. Has anyone had this problem before? Is there a solution?

Thanks.

Canon 40D + BG-E2N + 580EX II
P
owerShot G16
EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM,
EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tokina
AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX
Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 808RC4 head

sponsored links
cryforashadow
321 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 15, 2008 05:55 |  #2

I have the exact same problem with my A510. It's unusable because the battery dies after two minutes. But with good reason because I dropped it on the ground. And didn't bother getting it fixed because well.. it's A510.

CameraLens
THREAD ­ STARTER
414 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 15, 2008 18:03 as a reply to  @ cryforashadow's post |  #3

Bad News

Dang man, I'm sorry to hear that. I sure hope there's some way to bring our cameras back cos I really don't wanna spend the $$$ on another point-and-shoot, but if I do, it will NOT be another Canon.

I tried e-mailing Canon and they actually replied just a couple of hours later on a Saturday (!!!) and here is what they said:

The issue may be resolved by cleaning the battery contacts in your camera to create a better connection with the camera. You can use a pencil eraser and clean the battery contacts inside the battery compartment and the battery contact on the battery door. Once complete, re-insert the batteries in the camera and see if the roblem persists. If it does it would need to be sent in for service.

Unfortunately the eraser thing didn't work and the camera is out of warranty. Now I gotta make a decision... :rolleyes: :( :cry:

P
owerShot G16
EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tokina

rabidcow
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 15, 2008 18:22 |  #4

how old are the batteries.

Steven A. Pryor (external link)
Photo Manager, Prestige Portraits (Central Indiana)
Pixel peep or shoot...Pixel peep or shoot... or shoot... (external link)
Stuff

CameraLens
THREAD ­ STARTER
414 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 15, 2008 18:25 as a reply to  @ rabidcow's post |  #5

About 3 years old. Perhaps I might try some completely different batteries altogether, even though they seem to work fine on other devices.

I am using CHDK right now and it also shows a low battery as soon as I turn the camera on.

P
owerShot G16
EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tokina

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 15, 2008 19:57 |  #6

A year ago we bought an A570 which had the short-battery-life issue. I exchanged it for another A570 which had the same problem. I returned that and got an A720 which did NOT have that problem and produced better images. I'm beginning to thing I am very lucky!

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

CameraLens
THREAD ­ STARTER
414 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 15, 2008 21:13 as a reply to  @ n1as's post |  #7

Got Dangit.

Not good. This camera worked fine for about 2 years now and all of a sudden this happens. I guess I've narrowed it down to a couple of options, so what do you all think I should do?

1. Sacrifice/risk the $10 - $12 to ship it to Canon and see how much the repair will cost.

2. Cut my losses and get a new point-and-shoot compact camera.

3. Do nothing cos I already got a 40D.

4. Any other ideas?

Ultimately, I'd want the camera to have:

Full manual mode including white balance & metering mode

A viewfinder

At least a 2.5" screen, preferably with 230K pixels

Image stabilizer

Uses AA batteries

A tripod mount

A wide focal length and f/2.8 at the short end

Movie mode

Uses SDHC memory cards

P
owerShot G16
EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tokina

rabidcow
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 15, 2008 21:14 |  #8

CameraLens wrote in post #6693966 (external link)
About 3 years old. Perhaps I might try some completely different batteries altogether, even though they seem to work fine on other devices.

I am using CHDK right now and it also shows a low battery as soon as I turn the camera on.

DING DING DING!!! I toss NiMH batteries every 18 months, regardless of use. They do lose the ability to supply current. I recommend trying another set of (new) batteries and see if they do the same thing.

Steven A. Pryor (external link)
Photo Manager, Prestige Portraits (Central Indiana)
Pixel peep or shoot...Pixel peep or shoot... or shoot... (external link)
Stuff

CameraLens
THREAD ­ STARTER
414 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 15, 2008 21:25 as a reply to  @ rabidcow's post |  #9

Well I have about a dozen or so of the Powerex AA's which I rotate among several devices and they are all showing 1.3 - 1.4 volts on the volt meter fresh off the charger. All of the other devices work fine as usual and the camera still keeps flashing the red battery low no matter which batteries I put in it.

Maybe I'll try some Energizer alkalines and see what happens. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe something went haywire with the Maha charger and it's not charging the batteries right, but that wouldn't explain the good voltage readings I'm getting. In any case, I'm gonna try a AccuPower AccuManager 20 charger that I have and see anything changes.

I wish there was some way to download any old & new Canon firmware versions to see if I can switch 'em around to try and fix it.

P
owerShot G16
EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tokina

prcrstn8
554 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 15, 2008 22:12 |  #10

Other ideas? Forget alkalines - try Energizer lithium AA's. And do replace those rechargeables.

Evan
"You can observe a lot by watching"
- Y. Berra

ethegolfman
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2008 12:01 |  #11

Have also had issues with rechargeables (camera is an A510) that are a few years old. They work OK but they drain very quickly, sometimes even a day or less if they sit in the back seat and get hot - much faster than they used to drain. However when I use Energizer e2 Lithiums they last forever so it is definitely the NiMH batteries and not the camera.

Another vote for replacing the rechargeables - they can show good charge straight out of the charger and go bad pretty quickly.

Al ­ Heline
35 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 18, 2008 07:35 |  #12

Another DING, DING, DING..... You are using CHDK!!!! Check and make sure that your battery max & min are set correctly (CHDKmanual.pdf - page 6). These are adjustable and there are different settings for different cameras. But that being said, check the actual batteries too. NiMH batteries are good but it is suggested that after 10-12 recharges, they should be drained and recharged from a drained state. They do not have the 'memory' problems that NiCad batteries had, but they are not 5 year batteries either. Personally, I haven't managed to kill any of mine yet, but I have been around batteries for many a year and know that that day will come...quicker than I would like.

Al
Canon 60D Meike gripped / Canon S5 IS - Canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM, Canon EFS 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6, Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6, 430 EX Speedlight

sponsored links

3,550 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why Does My A710 IS Keep Thinking My Batteries Are Low When They're Not ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.