Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 13 Nov 2008 (Thursday) 22:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pittsburgh from Mt Washington

Mosca
THREAD ­ STARTER
542 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 16, 2008 13:02 |  #16

El Duderino wrote in post #6698106 (external link)
:lol:

What?

Brendan Gill, architecture writer for The New Yorker, 1990: "The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris; St. Petersburg, Russia; and Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe, tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it."

There is a photographer on the internet who goes by the handle of "Evergray"; his pictures of Pittsburgh are just incredible, and IMO they back up gill's contention.

sponsored links
digidiva
Goldmember
2,002 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 17, 2008 10:31 |  #17

Mosca wrote in post #6698227 (external link)
Brendan Gill, architecture writer for The New Yorker, 1990: "The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris; St. Petersburg, Russia; and Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe, tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it."

There is a photographer on the internet who goes by the handle of "Evergray"; his pictures of Pittsburgh are just incredible, and IMO they back up gill's contention.

Sorry, there may be some great buildings, but as a city it is just a child and cannot possibly compare with some of Europe's greatest cities.

BUYING A CANON DOESN'T MAKE YOU A PHOTOGRAPHER, IT MAKES YOU A CANON OWNER.

POST HOC, ERGO PROPTER HOC

Al ­ Heline
35 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 18, 2008 16:22 |  #18

Not fair.... You are making me homesick. Turtle Creek & Murrysville, Pa.

Especially like the second shot with all the bridges (in the city of bridges).

Comment on the European comments.... Pittsburgh was butt ugly, smokey and filthy when I was a kid. Yes, it is new and beautiful now....Because they cleaned up their act in the 50's, demolished numerous old buildings, tore down the mills, saved the good buildings, and built the downtown area - fresh... The roads, well, what can I say?:o

Al
Canon 60D Meike gripped / Canon S5 IS - Canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM, Canon EFS 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6, Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6, 430 EX Speedlight

BucketMan
936 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 18, 2008 17:10 as a reply to  @ Al Heline's post |  #19

North Hills representin'!!!!

Now Virginia resident.....:cry:

| 70D | 70-200LII | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/%3Ca%20h​ref=
flickr (external link)

Mosca
THREAD ­ STARTER
542 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 18, 2008 20:13 |  #20

digidiva wrote in post #6703900 (external link)
Sorry, there may be some great buildings, but as a city it is just a child and cannot possibly compare with some of Europe's greatest cities.

I know that! Please, allow me the pride and hyperbole! If I were an arguing kind of guy, I could say that if Pittsburgh was in Europe, of course it would be much older.... :D

It is a beautiful place, and it is one of the oldest cities in North America, dating to 1754 (as Fort Duquesne; 1794 as Pittsburgh).

j-hill
34 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 18, 2008 20:24 |  #21

I didn't realize Pittsburgh looked like that! Great job.

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 19, 2008 00:19 |  #22

williamfriggle wrote in post #6689488 (external link)
Lack of signage is typical in PA. Along with lousy roads.

I find Michigan to be the same regarding lack of signage. Very frustrating.

Anyway, as far as the OP's pics, I think they're great. I've never been to Pittsburgh, and these make the city look very beautiful indeed.

I will make it someday as I am still on my quest to see a baseball game in every stadium and PNC Park is near the top of my list of still-unseen ballparks.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Mosca
THREAD ­ STARTER
542 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 19, 2008 20:21 |  #23

LOL, everything is great about PNC Park but the Pirates. Make sure you try the food, it is outstanding.

Mike_S08
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 24, 2008 11:23 |  #24

nice shots. Did you edit the water? I know its not that blue. The mong is super dirty lol

Gear: Canon Rebel XT | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | Sigma APO 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,750 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 24, 2008 11:49 as a reply to  @ Mike_S08's post |  #25

I guess I am the only one who thinks pittsburgh is actually a very ugly place..LOL
here is the only shot I ever took that didnt look bad of the city

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i12.photobucket​.com …ner/Outdoors/IM​G_5804.jpg (external link)

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

Mosca
THREAD ­ STARTER
542 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 25, 2008 09:42 |  #26

Mike_S08 wrote in post #6749719 (external link)
nice shots. Did you edit the water? I know its not that blue. The mong is super dirty lol

See post #11, Mike; that is straight from the camera with no pp.

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,645 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 25, 2008 20:48 |  #27

Real nice shots...

Would love to see a panorama photo of the city skyline, as seen from Schenley Park's outdoor ice skating rink...

If I recall correctly, Pittsburgh is also called the city of bridges... there are more bridges connecting small neighborhoods on hillsides, and over valleys, than there are bridges over the three rivers.

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

sponsored links

2,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pittsburgh from Mt Washington
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.