Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 27 Feb 2006 (Monday) 17:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Show us your Macro Rig

fredygump
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 22, 2008 18:58 as a reply to  @ post 6721885 |  #421

I have a subtle variaton to the Canon 40D, Sigma 150mm f/2.8, kenko extension tube, sigma 1.4x TC, mt-24ex. It comes in at up to 2.8x magnification.

(Camera not included in photo because I needed to use it to take this image...and my camera phone is the worlds most efficient image noise generator in the world..I'm absolutely convinced.)

My diffusers make a significant improvement for lighting with the mt-24ex given the min. focusing distance. It's not as adaptable as I'd like... The way the 24ex is set up stock, the flashes are too close to the lens, in my opinion, in relation of the min focusing distance of the 150mm lens--even with the tubes.

Just give me time and give me bugs--I'll learn to do this macro thing one way or another... (I just put this together, and now it's winter... Arrrrrgggg.....)

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
macro ­ junkie
Cream of the Crop
6,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 24, 2008 03:04 |  #422

fredygump wrote in post #6740410 (external link)
The way the 24ex is set up stock, the flashes are too close to the lens,

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

thats what u wont..the closer the flash is to the subject the better,.il be interested to see your images tho with thos diffusers.got any pics of bugs?

Uk prayingmantis forum - http://www.dragonscres​t.co.uk/forums/index.p​hp (external link)
My flickr gallery -http://www.flickr.com/​photos/hooked_on_macro​/ (external link)
DA Gallery where i sell prints - http://macrojunkie.dev​iantart.com/ (external link)
MPE-65MM - MT-24EX Twin Macro Flash (diffused with 2 X Gary Fong Puffer diffuser)
EF-S 60mm f2.8 USM - 430ex (diffused with lumeriqest soft box)

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 08, 2008 02:05 |  #423

I finally came up with a flash bracket that I had pictured in my head for macro yet could also be use for other sorts of photography even if that means the addition or subtraction of a couple accessories/adapters.

I bought a Stroboframe Stroboflip VH-2000. I grabbed a generic off-camera flash cable with a tiling mount, and have a couple more parts coming by midweek. The two parts still on the way are a Giottos MH-1004 mini ball head and a generic thing called an Ultrapod Ultramount Ball Head (external link) both from B&H. Once I have all the parts I will have a flash that can reach the end of my Sigma 180 with no problem and also be positioned vertically to help with portrait or certain product shots. All told i did spend a bit more than I had though...about $125 for everything...cable, bracket, head, extension/adapter, shipping and everything.

Here is a shot of the rig stock with just the 40" extension cable on top of the Stroboflip:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

As you can see there is still a fair amount of distance between the end of the lens (without the hood) and the flash. This is why I ordered the other two parts last night from B&H. Still the position of the flash is great and the frame is super lightweight.

On top of it all the Stroboflip is a no brainer to use. To use it in portrait orientation you move the flash not the camera AND there is no handle to get in the way. I have a thickish hand so there can be a bit of a snug fit between my fingers and the frame but that is prolly due the the Camera Armor on the body adding a few mm...

Flipping the flash to portrait takes all of about 1.5secs. It's smooth and just completely transparent to shooting. I really like that part. Here are shots of the rig in 45° and full portrait positions:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I really do not notice the existence of the frame/bracket at all. so far all I have used it for is just the usual numpty shots to get a feel for it. The only issue I have found is the flip part is a tad easy to slide into the 45° position if you just tilt the camera while holding it...I think I just need to snug up one of the pivot bolts a tad to stiffen the movement. Even if that does not work, I am happy with it for sure...

oops, this was more of a review...d'oh!! hehehehe...

I'll add another shot of it when I get the other parts later this week. But here is a last shot from the other side of the setup in landscape orientation:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

EDIT: I know these are a couple extra shots but the rest of my parts got here so I wanted to share some closer shots of them and how they work for new guys like me who are feeling our way along. Adding the mini-ball head and the extra adapter worked PERFECTLY for giving me the reach to the end of the lens with hood or vertically elevating the flash enough for other uses:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

TheSonofDarwin
618 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 10, 2008 19:36 as a reply to  @ brecklundin's post |  #424

I think I already showed mine here or in another similar thread. I just wanted to warn people against taping the outside of their flashes... I did the same thing - personal reflector taped on with plain black electrical tape. Well I took it off the other day to do non-macro flash work and to my surprise the flash melted the casing only where the tape was touching it. Would no longer flip horizontal and the built-in diffuser wouldn't come out. Still flashed (that's why I never noticed!).

Luckily it was still under warranty and I just received it back from repair today. I think I vaguely recall reading another similar horror story before but didn't heed the warning. I shant be taping anything to the outside any more ;)

Edit: Should probably mention that it was a Canon speedlight, so not a quality issue.

-Justin (external link)

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 10, 2008 20:27 |  #425

TheSonofDarwin wrote in post #6854211 (external link)
I think I already showed mine here or in another similar thread. I just wanted to warn people against taping the outside of their flashes... I did the same thing - personal reflector taped on with plain black electrical tape. Well I took it off the other day to do non-macro flash work and to my surprise the flash melted the casing only where the tape was touching it. Would no longer flip horizontal and the built-in diffuser wouldn't come out. Still flashed (that's why I never noticed!).

Luckily it was still under warranty and I just received it back from repair today. I think I vaguely recall reading another similar horror story before but didn't heed the warning. I shant be taping anything to the outside any more ;)

Edit: Should probably mention that it was a Canon speedlight, so not a quality issue.

Interesting. How was the repair handled under warranty? What did the repair statement show as the cause of damage?

Also I would think if tape did that to your flash case, the thousands of users with Velcro strips glued around their flash heads would also be having problems. I would think that Velcro would have more of an effect than electrical tape because it's thickness would create more insulation and heat in that specific area.

TheSonofDarwin
618 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 10, 2008 21:08 |  #426

Pinto wrote in post #6854515 (external link)
Interesting. How was the repair handled under warranty? What did the repair statement show as the cause of damage?

Also I would think if tape did that to your flash case, the thousands of users with Velcro strips glued around their flash heads would also be having problems. I would think that Velcro would have more of an effect than electrical tape because it's thickness would create more insulation and heat in that specific area.

I think electrical tape is intended to prevent heat transfer? Resists melting and won't catch fire. I'm not sure to be honest.

As for the statement, obviously I didn't explain how it happened. I just explained the problem and they fixed it. Statement says...

Examination: Burnt out, Will not tilt horizontally, check and clean all functions, acknowledgment of receipt only (means I didn't send in my warrant card but instead a copy of my receipt)

Service details: We have examined the product according to your quest, and, it was found that the part had suffered burn damage the flash did not flash. The part was replaced. Other electrical adjustments and inspection and cleaning were carried out.
---Not sure what they mean the flash did not flash... it worked fine for me.

-Justin (external link)

Tendy
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 12, 2008 10:10 as a reply to  @ TheSonofDarwin's post |  #427

Well i have no flashgun that works with Tendy so I have to find other methods

IMAGE: http://fc52.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/347/a/5/My_Macro_setup_by_Stumm47.jpg

30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Samsung Galaxy S3 mini
My photo blog:
http://inventedeye.blo​gspot.com/ (external link)
My Photography Page
https://www.facebook.c​om/LarryShonePhotograp​hy (external link)

Brypan
142 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 20, 2008 12:46 as a reply to  @ Tendy's post |  #428

Don't laugh at me :P. I have a very primitive macro rig. It is just the kit lens set to 18mm and farthest focus range flipped backwards and a flash contraption I made myself to fit on top of the regular flash.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i102.photobucke​t.com …7/bocajana14/IM​G_3561.jpg (external link)

Sorry for the bad picture and messy backround.
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i102.photobucke​t.com …IMG_3796.jpg?t=​1229798614 (external link)

(Picture taken with rig as shown above.)

It is actually very effective. It cost me $0 extra (the flash is filtered by a piece of tupperware, tape, and papertowel). I hold the lens by the camera myself, but does that damage the lens or the camera? Is is much safer to invest in a connector?

Canon EOS Rebel XS|EF-s 18-55mm IS|EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 |||

Tendy
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 20, 2008 13:26 |  #429

Brypan wrote in post #6915444 (external link)
Don't laugh at me :P. I have a very primitive macro rig. It is just the kit lens set to 18mm and farthest focus range flipped backwards and a flash contraption I made myself to fit on top of the regular flash.

QUOTED IMAGE
Sorry for the bad picture and messy backround.
QUOTED IMAGE
(Picture taken with rig as shown above.)

It is actually very effective. It cost me $0 extra (the flash is filtered by a piece of tupperware, tape, and papertowel). I hold the lens by the camera myself, but does that damage the lens or the camera? Is is much safer to invest in a connector?

Hey thats pretty cool. Basically you're using the lens reversed. Only thing is you can't stop the lens down so have use it wide open which means a shallow depth of field and soft images-great for artistic shots tho. Better still reverse another short focal length lens onto the kit zoom set to its longest. Reverse a 50mm onto the 18-55 set to 55 and you'll get just over lifesize.

30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Samsung Galaxy S3 mini
My photo blog:
http://inventedeye.blo​gspot.com/ (external link)
My Photography Page
https://www.facebook.c​om/LarryShonePhotograp​hy (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,062 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 20, 2008 14:15 |  #430

Tendy wrote in post #6915631 (external link)
Hey thats pretty cool. Basically you're using the lens reversed. Only thing is you can't stop the lens down so have use it wide open which means a shallow depth of field and soft images-great for artistic shots tho. Better still reverse another short focal length lens onto the kit zoom set to its longest. Reverse a 50mm onto the 18-55 set to 55 and you'll get just over lifesize.

i may be entirely wrong here(wouldn't be the first time)...but i thought that you could set the aperture of the lens...hit the DOF preview button...and remove the lens, and then your aperture is still set to whatever you set it to...

again i think i read this somewhere, i've never done it myself though...i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 20, 2008 14:28 |  #431

I can confirm that works. I have a set of tubes w/o electronics I grabbed for $15 and do just that when playing with them. I was not in the mood to spend $150 for tubes so I went low tech and read the solution you posted here before buying them.

The funny part was I had not realized there was no aperture ring on my lenses until then...bright aren't I? hahahaha...

BTW, Tendy, very slick rig and setup. And like DreDaze mentioned you can adjust the aperture, it's just a PITA. Still if that is what you have to work with then that is what ya gotta do. I find to does make me think more before a shot when I am using my tubes.

Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,941 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 20, 2008 14:34 |  #432

DreDaze wrote in post #6915899 (external link)
i may be entirely wrong here(wouldn't be the first time)...but i thought that you could set the aperture of the lens...hit the DOF preview button...and remove the lens, and then your aperture is still set to whatever you set it to...

Yep, that's how to do it.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

Brypan
142 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 20, 2008 14:39 |  #433

DreDaze wrote in post #6915899 (external link)

again i think i read this somewhere, i've never done it myself though...i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong

Do you need to hold the DOF button in? It does not seem to work for me.

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 20, 2008 15:06 |  #434

yes you must hold the DOF button while removing the lens. Leave the camera turned on also. And I am assuming you have already set the aperture to what you wish to try before pressing the DOF preview button (just mentioning that to be sure... ;))

Brypan
142 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 20, 2008 16:54 |  #435

brecklundin wrote in post #6916162 (external link)
yes you must hold the DOF button while removing the lens. Leave the camera turned on also. And I am assuming you have already set the aperture to what you wish to try before pressing the DOF preview button (just mentioning that to be sure... ;))

Yes, but do you need to keep holding the DOF preview button until taking the picture? The would require three hands. Also, I knew to set the aperture, but justo be sure, lower aperture means brighter and sharper, correct?

sponsored links

1,038,001 views & 45 likes for this thread
Show us your Macro Rig
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.