Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 29 Sep 2008 (Monday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!

jklinksi
54 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 21, 2008 23:17 as a reply to  @ post 6719304 |  #106

Someone should seriously slap me for not doing a custom white balance before!!! It's way too easy! Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure what the bylaws say about different forms of gymnastics, but I think I'll chance it with a few I got last weekend! :p I'm not even sure what they called this but it was amazing! It was the "half-time" entertainment between sessions at the last meet. Of course CC are always welcome...

ps- since it has been a source of recent discussion I thought I would mention that these were at 1600 ISO and only the default noise reduction in Aperture. I was actually pretty happy with the noise levels for once.

Justin

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Some stuff... but never enough!

sponsored links
Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 21, 2008 23:43 |  #107

GBRandy wrote in post #6704401 (external link)
My normal response is almost always glass first cameras later... However, given your spot, get the 40D.

Forget the MkI. If you can swing it get a used 1DMKII or IIn... As I understand it the only real difference between the II & IIn is the LCD size and some other tweaks....you will want to verify that though.

You can get a used 135 f 2 on this forum for around $800.

Hi Randy. It's been awhile since I have posted to a thread you were in. Hope all is well.

From a lot of research, there are some pretty significant differences in performance between the II and the IIn for action sports shooting. The IIn is much better for action sports in AF accuracy and Servo tracking. I have only used a IIn so have no personal experience but most of my research was through the threads on sportsshooter.com before buying a IIn.

Upgrading to a 40D or adding a 135 f2 both basically give you another stop. While I love my 135 f2 and use it a lot, I agree the body would be a better choice. You can use it for every image you take. That does not hold true for the 135. I guess you could use it for every shot but you will need a pretty big room to do a four person full body group shot.

I would also suggest considering a used MkIIn instead of a new 40D. You may have to replace the shutter sooner but everything else about the camera will last for a long time due to its very solid construction. With the number of people drooling on themselves over the new 5D mkII I am guessing more 1D MkIIn bodies will be on the used market soon.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

run53
149 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 22, 2008 15:28 as a reply to  @ Big K's post |  #108

I've been following this thread and the comments about upgrading to a 40d have caught my interest. I've been shooting HS gymnastics as both my daughters compete for our HS team. The coach allows me floor access so I've been using my 85mm f1.8 with decent results but not great. My body is an XT set at 1600 to get SS of 400 or so. Most of my misses are OOF but that could be due to inexperience (only doing this for about a year).

I have been considering upgrading to the 40D as I've read better focusing performance at 2.8 or wider. Is this really noticeable? The other advantage would be better high ISO performance and the addition of 3200. Is 3200 really usable on the 40d? I am thinking these 2 might improve my gymnastics shooting, which we all know can be challenging.

I am considering this because of the live.com $200 rebates from an e-bay purchase. Sunshine electronics (on Ebay) is selling the 40D for $783, so the actual cost would be $583. Assuming they are a reputable dealer , it sounds like a steal.

What I really want to know is if the 40D will be a marked improvement over my XT for gymnastics.

Thanks

Canon 40D* Canon XT * Canon 430EX II * Canon 85 f/1.8 * Canon 70-200 f/2.8ISL * Canon 18-55 IS * Manfrotto 3021XPROB w/488RC2

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 22, 2008 22:05 |  #109

Big K wrote in post #6736580 (external link)
Hi Randy. It's been awhile since I have posted to a thread you were in. Hope all is well.

From a lot of research, there are some pretty significant differences in performance between the II and the IIn for action sports shooting. The IIn is much better for action sports in AF accuracy and Servo tracking. I have only used a IIn so have no personal experience but most of my research was through the threads on sportsshooter.com before buying a IIn.

Yea...I wasn't really sure on the all around upgrades done during the MKII to MKIIn version. Thanks for the clarifications.... Hope the OP sees this.

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 22, 2008 22:06 |  #110

run53 wrote in post #6739531 (external link)
What I really want to know is if the 40D will be a marked improvement over my XT for gymnastics.

Thanks

Yes....by a lot.

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

cameranewbie
50 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 23, 2008 10:51 |  #111

GBRandy wrote in post #6741292 (external link)
Yea...I wasn't really sure on the all around upgrades done during the MKII to MKIIn version. Thanks for the clarifications.... Hope the OP sees this.

I did see it and thank you all for the help. I have experienced mostly oof shots on floor and vault. I can prefocus most times on vault and put in manual. I was hoping that the 45 focus points on the 1d would help. I will continue to watch for a IIn and see if I can afford it when one becomes available.

Larry

jklinksi
54 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 23, 2008 11:24 as a reply to  @ run53's post |  #112

I am considering this because of the live.com $200 rebates from an e-bay purchase. Sunshine electronics (on Ebay) is selling the 40D for $783, so the actual cost would be $583. Assuming they are a reputable dealer , it sounds like a steal.

I bought my 30D from Sunshine Electronics and it was a fine purchase. I wouldn't get lured into the packages though. They just throw in a bunch of cheap/poor quality gear that you will never use. I think if you can get a 40D fo $583 you should jump!

Some stuff... but never enough!

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 24, 2008 21:38 |  #113

Shot a composite for our team poster. What do you think? It's soft because of the web conversion of an 8MB file to 150K.

Image removed based on user feedback about security.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

felixapproach
204 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 25, 2008 07:56 |  #114

Very impressive poster. I wish our gym had someone doing that kind of quality work.

40d w/ grip, 75-300 f4-5.6, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 is, Bowers SFD728c, 160ws Flashpoint strobe

sidx001
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 25, 2008 09:31 |  #115

Brice, that is a great poster! Very well done.

James Smith
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=586230
My Gear

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 25, 2008 11:40 |  #116

felixapproach wrote in post #6755636 (external link)
Very impressive poster. I wish our gym had someone doing that kind of quality work.

sidx001 wrote in post #6756192 (external link)
Brice, that is a great poster! Very well done.

Thanks gentlemen! I appreciate the feedback.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

fugfuggy
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 25, 2008 20:53 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #117

very nice work Brice!

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2008 04:51 |  #118

fugfuggy wrote in post #6760117 (external link)
very nice work Brice!

Thank you sir!

Brice
Gear List

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2008 05:07 as a reply to  @ jklinksi's post |  #119

Now I'm offering buttons. I don't know how many of you shoot for your clubs, but this is a good booster fundraiser, especially if you can find a way to get the buttons made inexpensively. My printer (EM) was charging $4.95 for my cost to make the buttons, but I'm now making them for a fraction of the cost and selling them for $4 in our club. The boosters get a large % of that money for little incremental cost over what I shoot for the annual picture day.

IMAGE: http://thewolfords.com/POTN/10SarahW.jpg

Brice
Gear List

sidx001
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 26, 2008 08:22 |  #120

We offer buttons as well and have found that the first year parents are the biggest buyers of them! Gotta love all that enthusiasm they have :)

James Smith
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=586230
My Gear

sponsored links

90,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.