Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 23 Nov 2008 (Sunday) 03:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Mighty Orion.... with a problem

bowtie`
488 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2008 03:23 |  #1

Anyone else using a 5D body for shots? Ever have this problem? I originally meant to use ISO 100 in this one but a bout of shivering must have overcome myself and I ended up shooting this at ISO125. Are the intensity variations of the brightest stars due to the algorithim in the chip boosting the 100 upto 125? Or is there an atmospheric transparency variation that only effects bright stars? I am really confused on this as the faint stars do not show any of the *pulses*.

Shot with a Canon 5D, ISO 125, TV 1999sec. (33+minutes), AV 8.0, Lens 24-70mm @ 43mm, no filters, single exposure, noise reduction on

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2008 04:50 |  #2

Im not sure what you are trying to capture, but with a 33min exposure you are bound to get star trails. Is this what you are after?

I have shot a picture of orion with iso 160 and found no problems..

Sorry im a little confused as to what you are trying to ask..

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 23, 2008 06:01 |  #3

Nice shot bowtie.

I have used my 5D, 20D and 300D. Firstly, the brightness of any given star is measured in terms of its magnitude allocation. Explained a little more in depth here:
http://www.stargazing.​net/David/constel/magn​itude.html (external link)

The camera sensor is detecting and recording the variation in star magnitude* in your shot. The pulsing that you refer to is caused by both atmospheric distortion("bending" the light) and distortion that occurs during its long journey before reaching our atmosphere. As star light travels such huge distances it falls under the influence of all it passes through or by, being "bent" by gravitational effects from other stars, galaxies, etc.

* Star magnitude is determined physically by several things including a star's mass and temperature and it's color is influenced also by temperature as well as material make up of the star and the stage at which the star is in its life span.

Increasing your camera ISO only increases the light gathering speed(sensitivity) in the sensor. Those dim stars are still pulsing just not as obviously to our night-challenged vision. The long exposures we take are recording pulses on all stars but it's taking the sum of those pulses which on very poor seeing nights can create some odd looking stars(and lack of clarity on the object being imaged-all light is effected) when using a tracking mount to avoid the movement seen in your shot.

There are many dimmer magnitude stars visible in your shot however some are neutralized by the light pollution bleeding into the lower left of the frame. So to sum it up, the dimmer star pulses are being recorded equally with the bright star pulses. Their lack of brightness just means you'll have to gather more of their light(i.e. more exposure time and/or higher ISO) in order to make them brighter and more pronounced.

Sorry for the rambling.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

strgazr27
167 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 23, 2008 06:34 |  #4

There is a definite electronic issue or pattern in the shot. It is way too perfect to be atmospheric. That is if your asking about the dark bands in all the star images.

CS's

Gripped 40D - 17-40L - 70-200 f/4L - Gitzo GT0531 Mountaineer - Astrotrac TT320X-AG
www.strgazr27.zenfolio​.com (external link)

http://www.stonyhillob​servatory.com (external link)

bowtie`
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2008 06:44 |  #5

strgazr27 wrote in post #6742789 (external link)
There is a definite electronic issue or pattern in the shot. It is way too perfect to be atmospheric. That is if your asking about the dark bands in all the star images.

CS's

Good, I am not the only one that see's it. Thanks for the confirmation strgazr. I was trying for star trails in the shot. What had me baffled is that the brighter stars have pulses or banding while the faint stars do not. It only happened on this shot. Not later ones. I did cold-soak the camera an hour before the image was taken. Maybe it was not long enough. Lord knows I hate the cold weather, maybe the camera was picking up my bad vibes.

bowtie`
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2008 07:04 |  #6

Nighthound wrote in post #6742729 (external link)
Nice shot bowtie.

The camera sensor is detecting and recording the variation in star magnitude* in your shot. The pulsing that you refer to is caused by both atmospheric distortion("bending" the light) and distortion that occurs during its long journey before reaching our atmosphere. As star light travels such huge distances it falls under the influence of all it passes through or by, being "bent" by gravitational effects from other stars, galaxies, etc.

Increasing your camera ISO only increases the light gathering speed(sensitivity) in the sensor. Those dim stars are still pulsing just not as obviously to our night-challenged vision. The long exposures we take are recording pulses on all stars but it's taking the sum of those pulses which on very poor seeing nights can create some odd looking stars(and lack of clarity on the object being imaged-all light is effected) when using a tracking mount to avoid the movement seen in your shot.

Sorry for the rambling.

Thanks for the reply. Please always ramble with me. I always find it informative. You have gotten me thinking with this. I did know that all stars are variable. I just did not think that at these small focal lengths that it could be visible. So in a sense it could be a product of the stellar variation and it's interaction with atmospheric variation. I have seen gravity waves in the atmosphere around low pressure center in pictures of clouds. I did not know that high pressure regions could produce gravity waves also. High pressure was in the Ohio River valley and West Virginia when I took this shot. So it could have been an interaction with the atmosphere and the brighter stars were of sufficient magnitude to illuminate the gravity waves while the dim stars are not?

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 23, 2008 08:13 |  #7

Looks more like an anti-aliasing issue with your software. What does the RAW image show?

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 23, 2008 11:12 |  #8

Ok, that settles it. I should not post so early in the morning.

For some reason the star trail irregularity didn't even register with me, I misinterpreted your question(slap in forehead). Now that I am on the same page and awake, it does look like a technical issue in the image writing or processing. Don't think I've sen this before in star trails.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

bowtie`
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2008 20:48 |  #9

40Dude6aedyk wrote in post #6743008 (external link)
Looks more like an anti-aliasing issue with your software. What does the RAW image show?

Thanks 40Dude. Here is a crop straight from DPP of the RAW. I would guess about a 250% crop. This is the end of Betelguese and the faint ones from the*head*. ANd yes I jiggled the camera closing the shutter.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

1,839 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Mighty Orion.... with a problem
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.