Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Nov 2008 (Monday) 05:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 30D, the CF Card and my PC

scottcj
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 24, 2008 05:49 |  #1

For some reason when I insert a cf card into the slot in the front of my computer it opens up into a window called canon. The window display two folders DCIM and inside that there is a folder called 100 Canon. This never used to happen, it used to open up an auto play window where it asked my what I would like to do with this media. I have tried everything to get it back to the way it WAS, but nothing seems to work. I am using Windows XP.

sponsored links
number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,944 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 24, 2008 15:57 |  #2

40 views and no responses, I see.

We're not ignoring you, Scott, we don't know the answer either.

I've had a similar situation using XP. I want ZoomBrowser to autoplay, but for a week or so last summer XP chose to bring up Windows Explorer (which is what you're seeing).

I kept closing WE and bringing up ZB and eventually taught XP how to do it.

Buggy...

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 24, 2008 16:27 as a reply to  @ number six's post |  #3

Been awhile since I've done this in XP, but I believe that you just right click on the device in My Computer. There should be a tab called Auto Play that will allow you to set your default choice.

There is also a very useful little tool called Tweak UI, that may help you do what you need to do. If you don't have it, I'd recommend looking it up.

FYI in Vista it is Control Panel > Auto Play.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

patlannon
Goldmember
3,752 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 24, 2008 17:19 |  #4

Hi Scott, first off, I am using windows vista business edition. A fate I thaught worse than death, but in reality it has been running very stably.
When I insert a CF card my card reader it opens an auto play requester which gives me several options to view or download the pictures to the Hdd. i alwaws select the zoom Browser to off load photos to the computer, and away it goes.
Now, there is a later version of ZB on the Canon site, I'd suggest you download the updater follow the instructions and you are good to go.

Pat,
West Seneca, NY
Gear, 5D3, 7D, Glass, All Canon, 8-15mm L, EFs 15-85mm, EFs 60mm Macro, EF 100mm L Macro, EF 24-105mm L, EF100-400 L.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,472 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 24, 2008 17:51 |  #5

What probably happened was that the last time the auto-play window opened you chose the Open The Folder option and also checked the Always Perform This Action box. Having the card folder open like that is not such a bad thing. Simply create a folder on your hard drive which will receive the files, select the ones you want to download and either copy/paste them or drag them to the new folder.

Elie / אלי

scottcj
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 24, 2008 23:15 |  #6

bacchanal wrote in post #6751549 (external link)
Been awhile since I've done this in XP, but I believe that you just right click on the device in My Computer. There should be a tab called Auto Play that will allow you to set your default choice.

There is also a very useful little tool called Tweak UI, that may help you do what you need to do. If you don't have it, I'd recommend looking it up.

FYI in Vista it is Control Panel > Auto Play.

Did all of that, but no dice. I even was on with the canon people and got the latest version of zoom browser and canon Digital professional.

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Nov 25, 2008 00:16 |  #7

Who uses the Canon software anyway?
Why not just use Windows the way you supposed to.
So you open Explorer, create a map in your My Pictures Directory and copy all your photo's from the cardreader to that new made map and voilà.
I do it for years now and never missed a single time.
No hassle with changed windows and stuff, always "in control of things".
If that "operaion" is too difficult for your taste, ask a friend to show it for you or RTFM (Read the F* Manual).
Greetings from Ghent,
Alain,

scokar
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 25, 2008 00:30 |  #8

one solution to disable and enable autoplay:

http://safari.informit​.com/073562044X/ch18le​v1sec7 (external link)

scottcj
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 25, 2008 06:20 |  #9

Lenty007 wrote in post #6754352 (external link)
Who uses the Canon software anyway?
Why not just use Windows the way you supposed to.
So you open Explorer, create a map in your My Pictures Directory and copy all your photo's from the cardreader to that new made map and voilà.
I do it for years now and never missed a single time.
No hassle with changed windows and stuff, always "in control of things".
If that "operaion" is too difficult for your taste, ask a friend to show it for you or RTFM (Read the F* Manual).
Greetings from Ghent,
Alain,

Hey you know what? It isn't too difficult for my taste! I'm just wondering why this happened and trying to restore it to the way it was... I don't need you to curse at me, telling me to read the f*** manual! OK??????????????? Thanks.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 25, 2008 06:44 as a reply to  @ scottcj's post |  #10

I'm not sure that this really addresses your problem, but you might try the Microsoft Autoplay repair wizard for XP SP2

http://www.microsoft.c​om …389CFACDAD&disp​laylang=en (external link)

scottcj
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 25, 2008 06:54 |  #11

bacchanal wrote in post #6755342 (external link)
I'm not sure that this really addresses your problem, but you might try the Microsoft Autoplay repair wizard for XP SP2

http://www.microsoft.c​om …389CFACDAD&disp​laylang=en (external link)

I tried that and got this....

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [G:\, Drive Type: 2]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoD​rives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoD​riveAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoD​riveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoD​rives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoD​riveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoD​riveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\!Aut​orun (Absent)
HKLM\...\Services\\Par​ameters!Autorun (Absent)
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\.​..!AlwaysEnable (Absent)
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\.​..!AlwaysDisable (Absent) }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [G:\, Drive Type: 2]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair > Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

Ukuleleman
580 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 25, 2008 09:57 |  #12

I know where you are coming from, but I think the 'Read f.... manual' bit from Alain in Belgium, may be a mistake he made from thinking he knows English language better than he really does, its easy to insult somebody if their language isn't your first language (just my attempt to chuck a little oil about)

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going to
My Gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2701981&pos​tcount=461
http://ukuleleman.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 25, 2008 10:43 |  #13

bacchanal wrote in post #6751549 (external link)
There is also a very useful little tool called Tweak UI, that may help ....

Is Tweak UI still out there? I remember using it years ago, on Windows 3.1 I think maybe, dating myself a bit in the process.

There were some really useful tools in it.

What's the deal with Vista and color calibration? I've heard conflicting reports, that it does or doesn't support color calibration.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Lenty007
221 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 26, 2008 01:22 as a reply to  @ amfoto1's post |  #14

I'm sorry Scott!
Certainly no insult intended. Just trying to help out (mayby a tidy the hard way).
It's the same thing with double clicking a file, hoping that the appropriate program will start. It mostly does but with a lot of file-extentions it isn't the case and people go crazy when this happens.
Every time one installs a program it want to take over a number of file-extentions, so in order to prevent that just start you beloved program and OPEN your wanted file. It's all about keeping control over things and prevent cursing.
Sure you can take countermeasures to restore the previous situation, but will you do this every time you reconfigure your pc?
It was mearly a suggestion from my part to show a method that NEVER changes, whatever you do with your pc.
Either way excuses for my bad communication.
Greetings from Ghent.
Alain,

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 26, 2008 07:52 |  #15

amfoto1 wrote in post #6756633 (external link)
Is Tweak UI still out there? I remember using it years ago, on Windows 3.1 I think maybe, dating myself a bit in the process.

There were some really useful tools in it.

What's the deal with Vista and color calibration? I've heard conflicting reports, that it does or doesn't support color calibration.

Tweak UI is available up to Windows XP.

As for Vista calibration, whatever issue there was must have been fixed. I think it was an issue with graphics card drivers or something, but I never experienced it because I wasn't an early adopter. Anyway, I use an EyeOne Display2 on Vista64 with no problems.

And back to the OT...I've tried looking for additional solutions to this problem, but haven't really come up with much. You could maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the device or changing the drive letter to reset the default Autoplay setting.

sponsored links

1,523 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 30D, the CF Card and my PC
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.