Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 25 Nov 2008 (Tuesday) 13:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NEW .8 Reducer/Flattener......

strgazr27
167 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 25, 2008 13:29 |  #1

While out in Oklahoma this summer for work I walked into Astronomics one weekend to see Mike and the boys and pick up a TV .8 reducer. After shooting the breeze for awhile I asked Mike if he had any of the TV's in stock. He said he did but wanted to know if I wanted to test a new FR/FF that AT was developing. I said sure and walked out the door.

I was pretty confident that based on the quality of the equipment that AT produces this should be a nice addition to the line but was a bit hesitant to put it up against the venerable 2008 from TV. After 4 months with this little piece 'O glass I can tell you that it is every bit as good as the TV unit from every angle except cost. Final retail has not been set but from what Mike was talking your looking at under $160.

As this was a prototype the final product from a finish standpoint will be light eyars ahead of what you see here but this gives you a pretty good idea. This was a bare non anodized piece and as such I needed to blackout the interior. I have since added a piece of protostar flocking paper to the inside which killed any and all reflections. The coatings were flawless gave off that mulit hued look that tells you this is a nice piece. Even with no scuffs, blemish's or thin spots. The machining is first class and I would LOVE to see them keep it the natural finish with a blacked out interior but that's just me.

With the 40D I have it set at right around 53mm of spacing and based on the included images that looks right. The following image is an un-cropped shot with a modded 40D and a ED80Pro. The 200% crops are of all 4 corners and labeled accordingly. As you can see, stars are real tight to the corners and no signs of false color or image artifacts are present. A testament to the optics of both the reducer and the ED80Pro. The field is also very flat.

I took over 100 subs with both the TV and the AT units and could see no difference between the 2. This looks to be a great option for those who are looking for a reducer/flattener for an under 600m scope. The funny thing is I tried this on the AT111 and it performed just as well at almost 800m Fl as it did on the ED80.

I know there are TV purists who will say it cannot be as good. To them I say, try one first, than decide.

You can start looking for these to show up sometime in January hopefully along with a final price set.

The following image is the un-cropped full frame sub.

CS's

IMAGE: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/2768834-UncroppedFF.jpg
Here are the 4 corners at 200%

IMAGE: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/2768837-cropul.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/2768839-cropur.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/2768840-cropll.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/2768841-croplr.jpg

You can give Mike B. At WWW.Astronomics.Com (external link) a call and tell him you saw my post on it.

Gripped 40D - 17-40L - 70-200 f/4L - Gitzo GT0531 Mountaineer - Astrotrac TT320X-AG
www.strgazr27.zenfolio​.com (external link)

http://www.stonyhillob​servatory.com (external link)

sponsored links
PJ
304 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 25, 2008 16:50 |  #2

I am ashamed to say that I don't have an clue what any of that information means. I'm trying to get into Astrophotography but all of the equipment involved is a lot to take in.

I do however want to say that the photograph looks fantastic. There is a lot of detail in those crops.

I'm Jones'in for some Jones Cream Soda
www.PaulJonsonPhotogra​phy.com (external link)

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 25, 2008 17:03 |  #3

Thanks for posting that Bobby. I was thinking of upgrading sometime to the TV but maybe I should look at this one.

7DMKII, 5DMKII, Canon 17-40L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 70-200mmL f/2.8 II, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Zeiss ZE 50mm Makro Planar, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC, Canon 2X III TC, 580EX II x2, YN560, RF603's
My Smugmug (external link) | Flickr (external link)

FarmerDave8N
126 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 25, 2008 18:14 |  #4

Bobby -

Any idea how it compares to the ubiquitous WO vII FF/FR?

David

flickr (external link)
my flickr favorites (external link)
astrojargon.net (external link)

strgazr27
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 25, 2008 21:02 |  #5

FarmerDave8N wrote in post #6759195 (external link)
Bobby -

Any idea how it compares to the ubiquitous WO vII FF/FR?

David

Funny you should ask Dave. The Big Brown Truck just happened to drop off a version II from WO today. Based on Hunters images as well as some of the reports I have seen the WO works quite well with the ED80 and similiar scopes. I can say that the AT piece seems to perform as well as the WO piece and certainly better than the TV based on some of the tests I have seen.

CS's

Gripped 40D - 17-40L - 70-200 f/4L - Gitzo GT0531 Mountaineer - Astrotrac TT320X-AG
www.strgazr27.zenfolio​.com (external link)

http://www.stonyhillob​servatory.com (external link)

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 26, 2008 06:47 |  #6

Is there a good place I can go to find a FR/FF that will work for my scopes? I picked up a .5 one once, but no way does it work...I didn't realise before I got it, but that's because I know nothing about these things...which is I ask my first question.

Oh, and fantastic images again.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 26, 2008 07:28 |  #7

Beautiful photo!!! Honestly it seriously is!!

Keep up the great work!!

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

Nightop
38 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 26, 2008 10:59 |  #8

Thanks for the post. I have been looking at the WO but will not put this one into the mix for the ED80/XSi combo.

Greg Willhite
Cannon 450D, Meade DSI IIC, SAC10, SAC8-II, Modded Webcam, Orion ED80, Nexstar11GPS,Milburn Wedge
http://www.nightop.com (external link)

FarmerDave8N
126 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 26, 2008 11:25 |  #9

strgazr27 wrote in post #6760160 (external link)
I can say that the AT piece seems to perform as well as the WO piece and certainly better than the TV based on some of the tests I have seen.

Cool, thanks - I already have the vII, I guess if it's not clearly trounced, I'll keep it. Besides, I have bigger issues to tackle before I get consumed with the shapes of stars at the corners. :)

Thanks,
David

flickr (external link)
my flickr favorites (external link)
astrojargon.net (external link)

fr0natz
216 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 26, 2008 14:48 |  #10

Amazing. Cant say I understood any of it either.
Yay oklahoma though.

40D, XT
Promaster (tamron) 17-50F2.8
Canon 70-200F4 L, 50 f1.8 nifty
430ex

ArcticShooter
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 30, 2008 08:43 |  #11

Awesome image. Are you sure it's real ;) I am so amazed of some of the pictures here.

Helge
Summer is great :)

My gearMy (external link)Flickr  (external link) (external link)G+ (external link)

JLC
40 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 30, 2008 17:56 |  #12

and, all I want to do is a good moon shot.

sponsored links

3,353 views & 0 likes for this thread
NEW .8 Reducer/Flattener......
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.