Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 29 Sep 2008 (Monday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!

fugfuggy
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 26, 2008 10:46 as a reply to  @ post 6762466 |  #121

funny, I offer all of the usual buttons, mouse pads, key chains, etc.. They are all offered through the website and they never get bought! I have come to think all parents are cheap! I would bet that if I had them on hand and could make them on site then they would sell.

sponsored links
bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2008 10:56 |  #122

fugfuggy wrote in post #6763201 (external link)
funny, I offer all of the usual buttons, mouse pads, key chains, etc.. They are all offered through the website and they never get bought! I have come to think all parents are cheap! I would bet that if I had them on hand and could make them on site then they would sell.

I had that problem too, but when I was able to drop the price they've sold like hotcakes. The markup of my provider was too much to bear and my markup to cover my trouble made it ridiculous. $4 is a psych barrier that seems to be easy chump change.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

sidx001
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 26, 2008 11:18 |  #123

fugfuggy wrote in post #6763201 (external link)

We actually ran across a button maker on a Craigslist listing and got it for like $25. That's what gave us the idea in the first place! We can print the picture right there and make the button for them. It's a cool thing to do before the session starts.

James Smith
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=586230
My Gear

jklinksi
54 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 09, 2008 18:51 as a reply to  @ sidx001's post |  #124

It's sorta getting a bit stale in here again... or maybe.... it's my breath blowing back in my face? Hmmmm....

I'm going to be shooting our favorite sport this weekend with a shiny new 50D. (I'm climbing the ladder one D at a time! I think that means the 5DII is next!!!:D) Anyone have any comments, suggestions, or complaints loosely related to the 50D and gymnastics? Really though, if someone just says anything, it would be a much needed breath of life for our little thread.

Let's get this thing going!!! I don't want to resort to threats, but you really don't want to see me be a cheerleader!!! :(

Very big man + Short Skirt + unsightly 'Hairyness' = PTSD :eek:

-jklinksi

Some stuff... but never enough!

jdando
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2008 22:49 |  #125

Here are a couple from the first meet of the year. The girls and I were both a bit rusty :)

#1 off to the vault

IMAGE: http://jeremyd.smugmug.com/photos/433859637_XWoXi-L.jpg

#2 good bar image
IMAGE: http://jeremyd.smugmug.com/photos/433859688_WzkHh-L.jpg

#3 not so good bar image
IMAGE: http://jeremyd.smugmug.com/photos/433859711_sMyU4-L.jpg

Not sure what happened on #3 but it is worlds worse than #2. Any ideas on what went wrong?

C&C appreciated.

Jeremy
Chimping away in MN

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 10, 2008 08:11 |  #126

jklinksi wrote in post #6846928 (external link)
It's sorta getting a bit stale in here again... or maybe.... it's my breath blowing back in my face? Hmmmm....

I'm going to be shooting our favorite sport this weekend with a shiny new 50D. (I'm climbing the ladder one D at a time! I think that means the 5DII is next!!!:D) Anyone have any comments, suggestions, or complaints loosely related to the 50D and gymnastics? Really though, if someone just says anything, it would be a much needed breath of life for our little thread.

Let's get this thing going!!! I don't want to resort to threats, but you really don't want to see me be a cheerleader!!! :(

Very big man + Short Skirt + unsightly 'Hairyness' = PTSD :eek:

-jklinksi

I'm not sure what PTSD stands for, but I KNOW I just threw up a little in my mouth, just thinking about it!:lol:

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 10, 2008 08:14 |  #127

1) Love the pan action. Nice work.
3) Looks like you focused on the beam and you have a narrow DOF so her face went out of focus because it's just out of the DOF range. I've done it.

All could use some white balance.

jdando wrote in post #6848318 (external link)
Here are a couple from the first meet of the year. The girls and I were both a bit rusty :)

I'm shooting some Level 4 state meet images this weekend. I'll see what I can do... It's my tune up for the L10 season.

Brice
Gear List

sidx001
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2008 08:18 |  #128

Greetings all :) I'm bummed, my first meet of the year canceled on me saying that their local photog would be able to shoot it instead....<sigh>So now I have to wait a couple of weeks for the next one.

James Smith
My Gear

felixapproach
204 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 10, 2008 18:38 |  #129

Here are two from our level six state meet a couple of weeks ago. I rented a 135L and was not happy with the results. It was just way too much lens for my XTi. I am happy that there is now a 40d under my Christmas tree waiting for Spring season to start.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

40d w/ grip, 75-300 f4-5.6, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 is, Bowers SFD728c, 160ws Flashpoint strobe

jklinksi
54 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 11, 2008 11:15 |  #130

bwolford wrote in post #6849992 (external link)
I'm not sure what PTSD stands for, but I KNOW I just threw up a little in my mouth, just thinking about it!:lol:

PTSD= Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. If you would have hurled outside of your mouth you would have been well on your way! https://photography-on-the.net …ages/smilies/ic​on_lol.gif It does look like our community has responded nicely to such threats! Well done all!

Some stuff... but never enough!

jdando
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2008 18:25 |  #131

felixapproach wrote in post #6853879 (external link)
Here are two from our level six state meet a couple of weeks ago. I rented a 135L and was not happy with the results. It was just way too much lens for my XTi. I am happy that there is now a 40d under my Christmas tree waiting for Spring season to start.

Nice images Felix. That place must be a dungeon if you are only getting 1/125 at ISO 1600. I am still trying to figure out my settings with the 135mm, I love what the lens does outside of the gym, just need to get it nailed down in the gym.

Jeremy
Chimping away in MN

fred ­ maurer
49 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 11, 2008 21:51 |  #132

Good looking shots, especially for iso 3200!

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 12, 2008 08:11 |  #133

sidx001 wrote in post #6850024 (external link)
Greetings all :) I'm bummed, my first meet of the year canceled on me saying that their local photog would be able to shoot it instead....<sigh>So now I have to wait a couple of weeks for the next one.

Is there anything precluding you from going anyway? You may not make any sales, but getting a feel for the gym and event can't hurt. Heck, if your images are better than the local guy's, send a couple to the gym...you never know what might happen.

Just a thought.

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

sidx001
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 12, 2008 08:51 |  #134

GBRandy wrote in post #6863622 (external link)
Is there anything precluding you from going anyway? You may not make any sales, but getting a feel for the gym and event can't hurt. Heck, if your images are better than the local guy's, send a couple to the gym...you never know what might happen.

Just a thought.

:) it's funny that you should mention that! I decided a couple of days ago that I would be going anyway. I'll pay the entrance fee etc...and shoot from the sidelines just like anyone else and see what happens. I am most definitely not out to take anything away from their photog and will make no overtures to doing so...However, competition never hurt anyone! :D

James Smith
My Gear

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 12, 2008 09:27 |  #135

This is a great topic. I thought I had it tough being a Ballet grandpa. I used to have to shoot basketball or volleyball in those poorly lit gyms and the answer is was always: Bigger, faster lens.

A bigger lens, like a 300 or 400 gives you more distance to work with, and the opportunity for someone to walk in front of a shot, but also allows for a shallower depth-of-field so those ugly backgrounds can be thrown out of focus.

In ballet, when I can get permission to shoot, it's nearly always from the back or a balcony and I have to use a tripod and available light. Here's one of my best:

HOSTED PHOTO

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

sponsored links

90,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.