Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 26 Nov 2008 (Wednesday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Walk on by

mickdo100
54 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 26, 2008 11:33 |  #1

Was intrigued to watch the amount of people walk past this guy on an overpass in Vegas, felt so sorry for him (I did give him some cash). Must be soul destroying no matter the reason you end up in this position.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,147 posts
Gallery: 351 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 26, 2008 11:41 |  #2

It's extra hard especially with the holidays upon us... Some of us have been blessed while others struggle with everyday life... Although we don't how he got to this point in his life, it's still heart-wrenching to say the least... Thanks Mickdo for illustrating what Thanksgiving is by giving him some $$$...

- airbutchie

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 26, 2008 11:46 |  #3

Sorry to admit this but I am one of those people that walk by. Not that I have no heart, but because too many pan handle just to get to the liquor store and spend it. I also watched one beggar get a quarter and the guy started cussing and swearing at the giver telling that person how cheap they were.

True, some get there and do their best just to make it one day at a time, but from my experience I just assume they are begging for another bottle. And that to me is a self created situation.

In fact the local news actually offered someone with a sign saying the person needed work, so they offered them a job and the offer was turned down.

mickdo100
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 26, 2008 11:51 |  #4

Don't get me wrong there are many times I walk by as well, It was just that this was Vegas with all that that involves. It would be a better picture if I could have shown that.

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 26, 2008 11:51 |  #5

The problem is you never know who is actually in need and who is not. My wife and I handed a couple dollars to a man and woman we passed on the road begging. A little while later we went to the food store and there they were outside doing scratch off lottery tickets. Oh well...

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 26, 2008 11:55 |  #6

hawkeye60 wrote in post #6763541 (external link)
The problem is you never know who is actually in need and who is not. My wife and I handed a couple dollars to a man and woman we passed on the road begging. A little while later we went to the food store and there they were outside doing scratch off lottery tickets. Oh well...

Did they win? ;)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 26, 2008 12:12 |  #7

shooterman wrote in post #6763562 (external link)
Did they win? ;)

:):)

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

mickdo100
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 26, 2008 12:19 |  #8

plenty of ways to gamble in that town! lol.

Moose408
884 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 26, 2008 14:02 |  #9

I think everyone should walk on by. It's the people who don't that encourage this type of behavior. There are plenty of organizations out there to help these individuals without them having to do panhandling.

It's not too bad in Vegas but in SF the panhandlers have gotten quite aggressive.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link)

mickdo100
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 26, 2008 15:00 |  #10

Good grief

JRobinson
132 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 27, 2008 18:13 |  #11

mickdo100 wrote in post #6763540 (external link)
It was just that this was Vegas with all that that involves.

as a resident in Vegas, I'm not sure what you're implying "with all that that involves". it's no different to live here and be down on your luck than it would be anywhere else, except i think people here actually probably get more handouts than people in other places because of the high volume of tourists who see vegas as a party/money making place.

Moose408 wrote in post #6764202 (external link)
It's not too bad in Vegas but in SF the panhandlers have gotten quite aggressive.

I actually get approached everywhere I go. And on the major streets, they walk up and down between cars stopped at the traffic lights. There are also many homeless individuals who have gotten very physically intimidating on numerous occasions.

mickdo100
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 28, 2008 12:34 |  #12

Thanks for the comment on the photograph Sharon, very kind of you.

sponsored links

1,683 views & 0 likes for this thread
Walk on by
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.