Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 09:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

hooking up your camera to a computer

dcavldy2
131 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 02, 2008 09:36 |  #1

Has any one hook there camera up to a computer and shoot pictures and view them on the computer, kind of like Wal mart dose there pictures, I have been thinking about playing around with it but not for sure if I would need special software for it to work or not. Any suggestion any one.

sponsored links
Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 02, 2008 09:39 |  #2

Yes, the software that comes with all canon DSLR's will enable you to shoot tethered.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 02, 2008 10:20 |  #3

It's a bit restrictive though, unless you intend to carry a laptop around with you, or have a very, very long tether lead! ;)

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

dcavldy2
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 02, 2008 10:25 |  #4

Yes I have a lap top but my usb cord is not very long, do they make longer ones that I would be able to buy that will work with my Canon Rebel XT. Thanks for the comments, I'm very new at all of this and trying to learn how to do more things with my camera.

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 02, 2008 10:27 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

You can buy extention USB cord for a couple of $.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 02, 2008 12:38 as a reply to  @ Hermeto's post |  #6

Buy a longer usb cable (better than an extension) they are not that expensive and readily available. I do this for portrait shoots because you can magnify the screen and focus very easily. Plus you can make all your exposure adjustments on the computer and not shake or move the camera if its in an awkward position to see the screens on the cameras.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 02, 2008 13:22 as a reply to  @ Dennis_Hammer's post |  #7

Here's a long USB cable with the necessary mini plug on Amazon. (external link)

Here's a similar long USB cable from Delkin. (external link)

There are other stores and vendors that sell these longer cables.

Use the cables after having the Canon camera drivers installed on your computer and the necessary software (Zoombrowser) and tethered shooting should be simple.

dcavldy2
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 02, 2008 13:28 |  #8

DC Fan wrote in post #6798767 (external link)
Here's a long USB cable with the necessary mini plug on Amazon. (external link)

Here's a similar long USB cable from Delkin. (external link)

There are other stores and vendors that sell these longer cables.

Use the cables after having the Canon camera drivers installed on your computer and the necessary software (Zoombrowser) and tethered shooting should be simple.

Thank you for the links, When you say camera drivers installed are you talking about the software that comes with the camera or is there something else I need to installed on my computer, I plug my camera up on my desk top but it want do the whole screen is there something else I can do to make it work better. I'm sorry for being so dumb on all of this but would love to learn all of it.
I figure it would be a good way to go that way I can tell if my pictures are worth keeping right there on the spot than having to have some one come back, I don't charge for any of my pictures I just do this for fun and learning.

spoofuser
66 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 02, 2008 13:32 as a reply to  @ dcavldy2's post |  #9

http://pixsylated.com …-tethered-into-lightroom/ (external link)

'You know zat another term for an iconographer would be "photographer"? From the old word photus in Latation, vhich means-'
'To prance around like a pillock ordering everyone about as if you owned the place'
'Ah, you know it!'

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 02, 2008 13:37 |  #10

I can only shoot tethered now, I'm completely spoiled by it. :) I use a usb cable and usb extension cable which gives me about 12ft of freedom. Plenty for me in my small studio.

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 02, 2008 14:09 |  #11

Tehered shooting is fantastic for studio setup. Not only can you see better what you are getting but I set it up so my clients can see too and they feed off of this doing far better than if they were not able to see. I had a groups of girls one time to shoot, but one at a time. My 26 inch monitor was setup so all could see it. All the girls who were waiting their turn were giving support to the one in front of the camera and they were all feeding off the images coming up on the monitor, making suggestions for poses, actions, etc. and really giving positive feedback on the ones that stood out to them. If you don't shoot tethered yet.... you should.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 02, 2008 15:13 |  #12

dcavldy2 wrote in post #6798809 (external link)
When you say camera drivers installed are you talking about the software that comes with the camera or is there something else I need to installed on my computer

Driver software usually comes with the camera. It's needed to make the camera-to-computer link work.

With the right drivers, cable and software, you'll be able to view each image from the camera on the computer monitor as soon as the shutter is triggered. The full-screen instant feedback is worth the effort.

sponsored links

1,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
hooking up your camera to a computer
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.